INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server and the Netgear MP101  (Read 4157 times)

flexware

• Change this by choosing profile
Media Server and the Netgear MP101
« on: July 29, 2004, 05:42:31 am »

Hi,

Anybody know of any plans to allow the Media Server to support the Netgear MP101 and similar devices ?

The Netgear unit is good but their server softwear is not.

I'm enjoying using Media Centre but the evil MS empire is shortly bringing out a media server that will support the MP101 so I may not be able to resist switching back ...

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re:Media Server and the Netgear MP101
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 09:37:33 am »

The MP101 is on my list of things to do, but it's a long list. Anyone else have one and waiting to use it with Media Server?

j

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:41:00 am »

Wow! :D  It would be great if MC could serve out to one of the inexpensive media recievers that are available.  Does this currently work with any product yet?

My $.02 - if you are going to support this, do it with a player that has digitial outputs (to appease us lossless types) and can support wired Ethernet along with wireless.  Also, why not serve out pictures as well?  Here is a product (one of many) that can do all of this and would be great as a client to MC's server: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318  Just take a look at the connections this one offers!: http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=318&rid=1100

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 07:30:39 am »

John,
(as you probably know!) I've got an MP101 and I would certainly love to have it working with MC :-)

There are a number of other people on the MP101 forums who are unhappy with all the current solutions for the MP101 so would probably be interested in another solution.

The same appears to be true of the Philips Streamium products too, though less so since the existing software support is a little better...

dcpoppy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 09:10:09 pm »

The MP101 is on my list of things to do, but it's a long list. Anyone else have one and waiting to use it with Media Server?

j

Me too, especially since you can get one at Best Buy for $80 (after rebates) this week.  Mine was actually $65 with a 10% off coupon they sent me.

GrumpyNick

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 12:42:55 pm »

Yes please! I've been trying the Netgear software which is dreadful, Twonkyvision which is OK, and the Intel AV Media Server which I'll probably stick with until Media Center provides a UPnP solution. What would be perfect is for Media Server to work with both Media Center and the MP101.....
Cats like plain crisps

ludwigl

• Recent member
  • Lost... But having a great time!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 03:02:19 pm »

I've been holding off on a purchase of the MP101 until Media Server support is in place (or at least ready to test). This would be great if it can work it's way up the To Do List.

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 05:13:25 pm »

Hi Guys,

I'm definately interested in this. However, I'm more aiming for Airtunes than anything else. Smart design, good quality ...

I didn't check yet on the forum, but I assume MediaCenter doesn't support Airtunes (yet)!?

Cheers,

Mighty A-MAN

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 07:31:07 am »

It feels a bit chicken and egg at the moment, support isn't being written for a device until JRiver can see enough support, and people like me won't buy one until it is supported by Media Center.

Personally i don't mind whether it is a Netgear, Linksys, Squeezebox or anything else - i just want to use MediaCenter with it rather than the (usually) bad software that comes with these things.

Maybe you could just pick one and go for it? (here's hoping!)

unclescrotor

• Recent member
  • From the Dangerous Kitchen...To You.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 07:56:20 am »

I'm in the same boat as I own the Pinnacle Showcenter.  I have found the best thing to do is export your MC playlists in .m3u format and import them into the OEM software (which is pretty bad for the Showcenter also).  I

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 08:19:46 am »

These devices are coming out in large numbers.  We're working on some of them, but it's likely that they will become somewhat more standard in the near future and that's when wide support will be possible.

I expect that our relationship with Best Buy will help.  Manufacturers who sell to Best Buy will be inclined to make it work.

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 06:18:46 pm »

Thanks, Jim!

So I hope that Airtunes will be one of the upcoming supported gadgets, since that's so neat, I wanna buy it - but don't wanna use iTunes only ...    ;)

Regards,

Mighty A-MAN

xerodiac

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 04:54:52 am »

It'd be nice to use MC as the Stream-Provider for my Streamium SL400i. I actually don't want to switch to this horrible Music Match....

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 04:50:24 pm »

The only way I see any sort of standard being established for the endless amount of these media receiving devices is to follow Microsoft's lead. Their Windows Media Connect server software should be released in the next month or two and has tons of outside developer and hardware support already. All of the big name media receiving devices will support Microsoft's technology and it'd be futile to try to support individual devices with your own proprietary technology.

My concern is that Windows Media Connect will undoubtedly work in conjuction with Windows Media Player somehow. I don't know exactly how it will all connect together...but finding a way to connect MC to WMC (dang acronyms) seems like a much more practical way to go than struggling to support devices on your own. Again, I don't know if this will even be possible from a third party developer's standpoint. I hope Microsoft plays nice and leaves it open to some clever software hacking.

I don't know if I'm making sense anymore. All I know is that I've been desperately wanting to buy a digital media receiver for the past few years, but I refuse to get a current generation one that requires shoddy proprietary media-serving software that would require me to somehow keep it in sync with my MC database. I'm forcing myself to wait for the standards to come out so that these devices can all work harmoniously together with Windows regardless of the brand or the software you're using for your music collection. Convergence, people! Help pave the way, JRiver! Just be careful not to sell your souls to Microsoft in the process.

BigAl

• Recent member
  • ...You wanna what???
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 08:46:29 pm »

Another vote for MC support of the MP101....the overall solution lacks quality.  MC support would definitely fix the server side issues.

Alan.

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 08:53:48 pm »

I was in the same boat on this - hopefully waiting for some majical media receiver that met all my desires.  Then I broke down and bought a used Dell to use as a media receiver (my .apes are stored on my office PC upstairs which acts as my server).  This PC can do anything any dedicated media receiver can do and more (obviously).  And a used PIII (good enough for this task) is just as cheap as these dedicated units ...  my used Dell is a P4 800MHz FSB 512MB PC2700 for $400!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up