INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO Problem - Help Needed  (Read 2231 times)

Jakester

• World Citizen
ASIO Problem - Help Needed
« on: September 11, 2004, 02:12:59 am »

I'm using ASIO with the ASIO4ALL driver.  Works fine except when I use the Next Track key I get silence.  If I go to Pause and then Play again, the sound comes back.  If I let a song play through, and the next song start automatically, then everything is fine.  In this case MC plays the couple seconds of silence at the beginning of the track, where it skips the silence when using Next Track key (or CNTL N).

Is there a way to have MC play the silence when using Next Track?  Or better yet, a way to solve the problem without having to play the silence?  Anyone else experienced this?  ?

System Info:
----------------------------------------------------------
Media Center Registered 10.0.155 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2791 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 350 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1552 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1556 (xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
----------------------------------------------------------

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:ASIO Problem - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 07:32:29 am »

What happens if you use ASIO through the sound card's driver instead of ASIO4ALL?

Also, does toggling any of the ASIO / SPDIF settings in your card's control panel make a difference?  It almost sounds like the SPDIF decoder (if you're using one) is getting confused.

Let us know what you find out.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 01:08:09 pm »

Matt -

Many thanks for the reply.  I must declare  ignorance on this subject, so please bear with me.  I followed the instructions here http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190009 that tell how to get bit-perfect playback using a $23 Chaintech card, ASIO4ALL, and J River MC.  You see, I'm a bit of an audiophile and although the convenience of having my entire CD collection readily accessible on an HTPC is wonderful, it will mean nothing to me if I am not getting bit-perfect playback.

When I go to the 'advanced' tab on the ASIO setting in MC I only have the ASIO4ALL option, so I suppose the AVIA drivers I'm using do not directly support ASIO, hence the need for ASIO4ALL.  Please correct me if I have it all wrong.

Another interesting thing - if I go backwards a song (while in the middle of any song) then I can go forwards for multiple songs and it works.  Eventually it hiccups again, though, and I loose sound.  Another Pause/Play cycle restores it again.  It sure seems like a buffer issue.

Next steps?  I am excited about this whole media PC thing (and I've invested in a dedicated HTPC and have already ripped half of my 800 CDs to .ape in secure mode) so I sure hope I can get this working.

Thanks,

Jake

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 02:09:16 pm »

This particular problem is one that I can confirm. I finally resolved the issue by changing the Output Mode Settings - Device from Adobe Default Windows Sound to one of the choices displayed for my sound card.  Because I'm away from my desktop for the weekend, I can't be positive of which choice I selected or if I made any other changes.  It might be worth trying, however.

Shelly

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 12:10:56 pm »

I've had precious little time to work on this issue, but I have discovered an important behavior.  After a reboot, this problem does not appear.  It only happens after I use Winamp to listen to streaming music then use MC again.  I have Winamp set to use ASIO with ASIO4ALL.  Also, I can go back to Winamp and it works fine.  The problem only arrises when skipping to the next song in MC and only after a Winamp session.

Anyone out there with some expertise/experience with this?  I'd sure appreciate the help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 12:12:22 pm »

Don't use Winamp.   8)

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 08:47:49 pm »

I'd like to drop the need for Winamp, but as many threads here have mentioned, MCs streaming capability needs a bit of work.  Is V11 better at this than V10?

Back to the original question - I'm still hoping somebody has an idea on this? ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up