INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will DivX deliver me from evil?  (Read 1739 times)

azdood

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Will DivX deliver me from evil?
« on: September 30, 2004, 06:48:07 pm »

I still can't play short videos in MC 10 without my computer freezing up and didn't get any feedback after posting my problem here twice, so this must me an unusual problem.  Here goes one more time...

I had no problems playing videos in MC when I had Window ME, but lost all my video collection when I switched to XP.  When I try to play a video it either plays with just sound or, worse, it doesn't play at all and ends up freezing up my computer.  I went to Run, typed in dxdiag and checked my DirectX and everything is all right there.  No problems.  

Has anyone ever used DivX?  It's supposed to play any video and there's a free version I'd like to try.  My question is: will I be able to use DivX along side my MC 10 with no problem?  Thanks.

azdood  

We are all bozos on this bus...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Will DivX deliver me from evil?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:17:16 pm »

What do you mean lost?

What kind of videos?

Do they show up under the Video media type?

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 08:32:16 pm »

Thanks Jim.

Yes, they are covered under video types in MC.  Most are WMV or MPEG.  They are just short videos of family and such.

I lost them when I tried to import them to MC 10 after upgrading to XP.  I did get a warning saying that I was missing a program necessary to open the videos.  I made the huge mistake of just clicking on anything to get rid of the warning and lost the information contained therein.  I've been kicking myself ever since and I've asked eveyone who knows about these things, including this forum, to find out what that program was, but still haven't found it.  The videos didn't go to the recycle bin so I wasn't able to find them after they were lost.

Thanks again....azdood

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 09:34:30 pm »

Make sure you have the latest version of MC.  Then remove the files from MC and re-import them.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 10:56:25 am »

i didnt read the whole thread, but in answer to your question i've used divX alongside and within MC with no problems for over a year

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 11:13:58 pm »

Thanks pipsqueak.  I now have DivX insalled and I can play the videos with WMP (aarg!), but still not in MC.

I removed all the videos from MC as Jim suggested but I'm unable to upgrade MC to the latest version for some reason.  I keep getting a notice saying the package installer failed.  Damn, it's always something.

azdood

NaTeDoGG

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 11:49:46 pm »

I've had that happen. The package installer just wouldn't do the download. I went to the URL directly and downloaded the package, then double clicked it and it installed fine. I used my firewall to get what URL it was trying to access. Before doing it manually I disabled the firewall and the package explorer still didn't download the package.

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 11:56:03 pm »

Thanks.  I'll give that a try NaTeDoGG.  azdood  
Pages: [1]   Go Up