INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: is XP playing read-only games on me?  (Read 1962 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
OT: is XP playing read-only games on me?
« on: October 09, 2004, 01:22:21 pm »

OK, I go to a folder (most any folder . . . I usually use a main branch folder to affect all it's sub's) and I Right-Click ->> select Properties and the Read-Only box appears to be checked.
(Now I say appears as it is not a clear checkmark like when I set it, but the box has a green square outlined in white within the checkbox)

I next click on the Read-Only box and clear it of the green ->> click Apply and answer Yes to 'apply to folder and subs?' and watch the dialog box make the changes. I then close the Properties dialog box.

BUT, if I again open the Properties box, the Read-Only is once again filled out in green.

I am afraid this is affecting MC as I am having some files where the tag updates are unsucessful, no rhyme or reason based on location or anything. Not so coincidentally, MC is also crashing (pOOf!) alot updating files from tags.

Anybody encounter anything like this before?
Is there some way to 'turn-off' the read-only so it cannot be applied to USER files?

Oh, and Yes, I am virus free!

Thanks for any help or polite suggestions (ya know not the ones which are anatomically impossible)   ;D

. . . the game is rigged

Omni

Re:O/T: is XP playing read-only games on me?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 02:26:27 pm »

I am afraid this is affecting MC as I am having some files where the tag updates are unsucessful, no rhyme or reason based on location or anything. Not so coincidentally, MC is also crashing (pOOf!) alot updating files from tags.

Have no fear, it's not affecting anything.

This is a normal feature of Windows.  The "Read Only" flag of a directory, as seen inside the "Properties" dialog anyway, has no meaning in Windows.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 03:46:17 pm »

Wow Omni, thanks . . . I can breathe again!   ;)

But,  . . . um, . . . HuH?  ?

that leaves me with a great big black hole in my mind   :o
I dunno how many more of those I can withstand . . . .startin to look like Alpine Lace   ::)
. . . the game is rigged

Omni

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 04:03:11 pm »

Under Windows, for just standard directories, there really is no concept of a read-only directory.  Read-only files, sure, but not entire directories.

Now, this is only applying to the generic "properties" mind you.  If you want to make an entire directory read-only, you have to set it up as a share and then grant or deny access on a per-user or per-group basis, but this will fall under the share properties, not the "generic" properties.

As a footnote, I am only speaking about NT kernel version of Windows (3.51, 2000, and XP).  It's been so long, I don't recall if this is all true with older, non-NT versions (95, 98, ME).

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 06:15:50 pm »

OK, Thank you for the clarification.  Is there any easy way to make all my music files NOT read-only without manually going thru each directory?
. . . the game is rigged

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 08:37:51 pm »

Doing what you did should work.  Right click on the top level directory, select properties and cycle through the Read Only box until it is completely clear.  Then tell windows to apply it to all sub-folders and files...

If that's not working, then there must be something else going on, like an odd share taking priority.

Omni

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 03:24:05 pm »

If that's not working, then there must be something else going on, like an odd share taking priority.

Yeah, and AoXoMoXoA, of course, if you've never set up a share (it's a pain in the booty under Windows XP and their new forced "simple" sharing--what an oxymoron), then never mind.  But if you want to see specifically what folders are being shared, click on Windows' Start button and then right-click on "My Computer."  From that context menu, select "Manage."

When the "Computer Management" console pops up, you'll a nice, handy branch in the tree menu called "Shared Folders."  Under that, if you select "Shares," Windows lists all the shared directories.  (All the shares ending with '$' are normal--these are Administrative shares.)

Omni

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 03:51:20 pm »

Sort of off-topic, but to clarify my statement above, no, actually, it's not hard to set up a share in Windows XP, but it is hard (and a pain) to actually get it to work correctly, especially with other computers that are part of a different domain.  :P

AoXoMoXoA

Re:OT: is XP playing read-only games on me?
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 11:07:54 pm »

Well, I do not know what the problem was, but it apparently has cleared up based on the fact that I have been getting my tags to 'stick' fine now.
I appreciate the assistance and information.  :)
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up