INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edited Song Data Not Transferring To Encoded MP3  (Read 953 times)

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
Edited Song Data Not Transferring To Encoded MP3
« on: October 31, 2002, 08:18:05 am »

I edit properties of a song listed in "Playing Now" off an audio CD, adding info into the "Custom" and "Quality" fields.  I then "rip" said songs using the "MP3 encoder" plug-in.

Once the songs have been encoded & copied, "Media Library" lists the songs, but the "Custom" & "Quality" fields have lost the info I inserted.

Can someone enlighten me as to why this is the case?

Also can someone explain the differences between the "MP3 Encoder" and "MP3 Encoder VBR" plugins?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Edited Song Data Not Transferring To Encoded M
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 10:52:19 am »

>>adding info into the "Custom" and "Quality" fields

MJ references filenames for these fields (they are not saved in the MP3 as tags but are MJ database fields). The "filename" of a song on the CD is a hexadecimal number which Windows then calls cda1, cda2.....

A ripped & encoded song has a discrete filename.

If you were to pop that CD back in you should see your entries in the "Custom" and "Quality" fields.

Long & short of it: Your edits on a CD file will NOT transfer over to your hard disk version.

>>Also can someone explain the differences between the "MP3 Encoder" and "MP3 Encoder VBR" plugins?

The former will produce CBR files (Constant BitRate) while the latter produces VBR (Variable BitRate).

In terms of quality 320 CBR is the highest, but of course, file sizes are quite large. VBR at High setting produces files that sound as good, but are still large.

Use VBR at Normal/High (equivalent to using --alt -preset standard with LAME external encoder), files still sound as good (averages around 192 kb/s), but are much smaller.

Xenno

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 11:18:14 am »

xen-uno,

Thanks once again for your assistance.  I understand now.

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 11:18:16 am »

xen-uno,

Thanks once again for your assistance.  I understand now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up