INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: connecting to server  (Read 3719 times)

steve1000

• nothing more to say...
connecting to server
« on: October 29, 2002, 09:18:18 am »

I have tried several times to connect to YADB, and also to freedb.org.

I seem to be connected, but all I can see is track numbers Media Juklebox when I insert a CD in my drive.

Can anyone give me detailed instructions to connect to a database other than CDDB?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: connecting to server
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 09:40:34 am »

When you insert the CD into the drive, and open the CD portion of the tree, you should see a screen pop up that says  "Connecting to the database" or something (sorry, my MJ is broken at the moment). Does this screen show up?

If not, click on the CD so that it shows the tracks on the right, and then right click on the CD (not the tracks) and choose "Update from database".

Also, what version of MJ are you using?

j

steve1000

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 10:06:48 am »

Am running with a trial version of 8.0.265

Did not get the message "connecting to the Database"

When I right clicked as you suggested, I got a message malformed command sent from server.

I do have an area of  Juke Box, a gray-Blue section below web media and tv tuner that says YADB.

Have played with Tools / media server / connect, connect to last, start server,   all to no avail

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 10:12:00 am »

Please update to the latest version from the downloads page.

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 10:35:54 am »

I'm receiving the same symptoms as Steve1000 with some further details provided.  My version of MJ8 is 8.0.388.

I have over 200 CD's which I was hoping MJ would help me organize.  I don't want to have to input manually artist, album, etc. type info.  MJ8 is repeatedly failing to find 5 current CD's so far (ie. Fourplay, Boney James).

If I use my old media apps., TDK Digital MixMaster or Winamp 3, they both return with CD info and they use CDDB's database.

With MJ8 configured to lookup YADB, it connects but says "CD not found".  With MJ8 configured for CDDB, it returns these statements;

Action: Accessing disk CDDB information
Status: CDDB: Malformed command sent from server to client.

There appears to be a problem here.  I'm hoping someone can help.

steve1000

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2002, 10:40:57 am »

Thanks, upgrading to 388 seems to have solved my problems.    

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2002, 10:45:14 am »

>>With MJ8 configured for CDDB, it returns these statements... ... ...

You had to start using MJ long ago (in build time) to use CDDB. If u didn't than CDDB will show as available, but it really isn't (hence the errors) and YADB is your only choice. So sharpen up your typing skills and get to work ;).

Xenno

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2002, 10:52:42 am »

Can you give me more details on what CDs you think should be there and are not? I need title, artist, and whether the CD was  home-burned or is a "real" one.

Thanks,

j

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2002, 11:08:28 am »

Thanks for the replies.

To "xen-uno", CDDB is an available option out of the current MJ8 v3.0.88 by using "Settings/Options/Device Settings".

John Gately, the CD's are store bought and as stated other apps were able to find them using CDDB.

George Duke - SnapShot
Fourplay - 4
Boney James - Seduction

I've tried several others just now with same results, the other apps. retrieve the info while MJ8 doesn't.  Even "hard" rebooted my PC (XP Pro, Pent III 733mhz, 394meg PC133 RAM) with no apparent Operating System problems.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2002, 11:22:19 am »

Ballen,

I think something is messed up with your system? I see several tries  from 5 minutes ago and an hour ago, and all the tries are for  the same CD, not for different CDs.

j

xen-uno

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2002, 11:23:22 am »

>>To "xen-uno", CDDB is an available option out of the current MJ8 v3.0.88 by using "Settings/Options/Device Settings".

I know that, doesn't mean that it works though per reasons stated earlier.

Xenno

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2002, 11:49:53 am »

Thanks for your assistance "xen-uno" and "John Gately".  You've backed-up the claim I've heard that this forum was responsive and knowledgeable.

Sorry John, didn't mean to mislead you.  Realizing this is a post, I didn't put in every minute detail.  Last night was when I encountered the problem and went thru the process of checking "failed" CD's thru other known applications which worked for me in the past.

This afternoon, I tried again with a known good CD (George Duke - Snapshot) which Winamp 3 and TDK's Digital MixMaster found with no problem.  The multiple attempts you saw was me trying to get either YABB or CDDB to work thru MJ8 for this CD.  In my mind, there was no need for me to try every one of my other failed CD's because I knew they could be found in the other said apps.

Thanks once again for all your help, your kindness is greatly appreciated.  Don't know what else I can do.    The organizational features of MJ are awesome and showed great promise for my purposes, organizing my CD collection and some conversion to mp3 :(.

Maybe something is wrong with my system and MJ8 working together but it's nothing apparent and I'm knowledgeable around computers, I support them for a living.

Thanks one and all.   :-/

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2002, 11:58:35 am »

Regarding the George Duke: it is in the database, but with a different key. This means either there are two different pressings, and your's is the pressing that isn't in there, or  the one that's in there came from a home burned CD that is not an exact duplicate.

Can you try the George Duke CD with FreeDB? (Do you have any apps that use FreeDB)? and post the result here.

Is there anything at all unusual about these (record club pressings? I'm really stretching)

j

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2002, 12:01:05 pm »

Additional note to John Gately, the CD you refer to "I see several tries  from 5 minutes ago and an hour ago, and all the tries are for  the same CD, not for different CDs. " is a CD recognized by both Winamp & TDK DMM.

Thanks again.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2002, 12:26:56 pm »

Hi ballen,

My reply crossed yours - please see above...

j

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2002, 12:31:15 pm »

Tried a "work around".  Used another app. to recognize CD, saved as playlist, tried to import into MJ8.

Opened CD with Winamp, it recognized and labeled artist, album, track titles, etc.  Saved the playlist (.pls).  When I used MJ8 "File/Open Media" and chose the saved playlist, MJ gave me a "Warning" dialog box which stated "Please select file(s) to play".  Select files from where?

CD is in the drive.  When I chose "CD, DVD and Handhelds" from the organizational tree, no artist specific info is shown, just Track 1, etc..  If I go to "Playing Now", there's no files displayed at all.

What's wrong with this procedure?

xen-uno

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2002, 12:45:29 pm »

Use File>Library>Import Media or Tools>Import Media instead. The "File/Open Media" is literally for playing a music file.

>>If I go to "Playing Now", there's no files displayed at all

But the CD is playing, correct?

Xenno

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2002, 01:15:46 pm »

Hey "xen-uno", thanks for the reply.

Tried both of your suggested methods and the same result for both.  With both you get the "Import Media Files" dialog box. I unchecked every file option except for "pls", told it to search "C:\" (where my test "pls" file is) and hit "Start Search".  It kept me in a loop whereby it kept trying to access YABB multiple times and responding "CD not found".  Sound familiar.  ;D  

When it finally finished, the "details" box showed it had tried to import several files with no success except for one, an "mp3" file.  ?  An "mp3" file?  It wasn't even checked-off to be searched for.

Reinstalled MJ8 with no difference in the result.

Thanks for your suggestion and have a good one.

xen-uno

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2002, 02:01:43 pm »

>>It kept me in a loop whereby it kept trying to access YABB multiple times and responding "CD not found".  

I cannot (for the life of me) figure out why it is doing a YADB access during a file import. Were you playing that CD while u were importing?

FYI: It's has been my experience that MJ can act like it's locked up when you put a CD in that it can't find info for. This was especially true when using CDDB (I'm grandfathered). Haven't noticed it under YADB.

>>Saved the playlist (.pls)

WinAmp saved the playlist as a pls? I would think it would've been a *.m3u. I thought *.pls was a MJ thing. Can u save it as a m3u and try a re-import? MJ usually does a fine job importing (it imported a playlist from RealJukebox even).

Xenno

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2002, 03:29:03 pm »

"xen-uno" and John Gately, once again thanks for all the great support.  Your helpfullnes and suggestions have been great.

I've tried a variety of ideas of my own, in addition to your suggestions.  I've reached the conclusion, it's just simpler to manually input all necessary data through "group highlighting" of songs, rt. clicking them to access "Properties" and edit the necessary fields, finishing that with a "Save".  A little time-consuming, but it works for now.

I still prefer the additional features of MJ and thanks to your great support, I'll be upgrading to the "Plus" version soon.  

petekarn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2002, 03:56:39 am »

ballen, I have gotten the same error message while trying to access CDDB. Never have been able to access it. No configuration issues as I have the same on three different systems. Sounds like a bug to me. For such an outstanding piece of software as MJ8, I hope there's a fix soon. :(

xen-uno

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2002, 05:34:09 am »

>>ballen, I have gotten the same error message while trying to access CDDB.

You will if you don't meet the criteria as stated in my first post of this topic.

>>I hope there's a fix soon.

There is no fix if u don't qualify. YADB is then your only option

Are you a longtime MJ user (back as far as v7.xx)?

Xenno

keyvan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2002, 03:35:11 pm »

I just had something strange....  ?
Earlier today I tried to activate the CDDB function in MJ. I put in my nickname and password for GraceNote (this was from an cddb reg i made way back when I purchased Slink-e and started using CDJ). I kept getting an error saying:
Accessing cddb information
Status: CDDB: Malformed command sent form server to clinet.
I then put in another CD in the drive (1 by The Beatles) and it automatically recognised it (via YADB I guess).
Then I put another CD in (Best of Geoarge Benson) and it was not recognised (not in YADB - again I guess). But this time when I rt. clicked on the CD and selected CD Disk Info.. It went through to CDDB and found the correct album info and displayed the info in the CDDB window. I clicked out of it (not knowing how to get the data into MJ!!). When I tried the same thing again it went back to the "malformed command"error as above.
I have not got it to work correctly since,it just worked once, any ideas???
Thanks

Keyvan R

petekarn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2002, 05:09:22 pm »

To answer xen-uno, no, I am a new user as of MJ8. As for the 'criteria', I don't buy it. If it is a menu option and it doesn't work, it's a bug.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2002, 05:26:25 pm »

petekarn - do a search for cddb in this forum. In short: we no longer can support CDDB. We have left the option in there for those who are grandfathered.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up