INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem importing...MC CRASHING...help!!  (Read 2331 times)

justin@fathoms.org

Problem importing...MC CRASHING...help!!
« on: November 12, 2004, 10:15:16 pm »

installed  MC 10.0...purchased it.

had trouble with database...ended up clearing and attempting to rebuild the library.

now it can't import any files without CRASHING.  gets to 219 files (I have about 3800 in my music collection) and i get a "media core encountered problem" and has to quit...error

VERY FRUSTATRATED and can't use any of my music currently.

tried reinstalling...clearing the registry, etc.  tried moving the files it was getting hung on (thinking maybe a corrupted .mp3 file)...no fixes.  

help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Problem importing...MC CRASHING...help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 06:46:25 am »

Try updating MC.  The most recent version may be in a thread on this page.

Try importing directory by directory to see if you can find where the problem is.  If you can find a bad file, we'd like to have it.

There was a problem a few months ago with corrupt headers in MP3 files (written by another program) causing a similar problem.  It has been fixed.

baldwig

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 02:42:14 pm »

I have the same problem.

I have tried importing 100K songs with MediaCenter 10 and 11(Beta) and the program "MediaCore" crashes.

Interestingly Media Jukebox  can import everything fine and I think that this is a recently introduced issue - post 10.015x

I have figured out a workaround for this:

1)  Import using Media Jukebox 8
2)  Then use Media Center

Not very satisfactory, but at least it works.  It would be good to make sure that future version of MC do not have this bug :-)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 04:45:22 pm »

What build are you using?

Can you isolate a file that has a problem?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 02:59:14 pm »

I have had this problem with v11 builds a few times (various builds).  I was always able to isolate the problem file (which almost always was a screwy file that wouldn't play properly anyway).  The process was tedious and manual though ...

Unfortunately, the evil files have been since purged from my system, so I don't have an example file to provide, but ...

Process:

1.  Determine which file number MC chokes on.  This is easy enough, as it lists the file # as it imports them, but you have to watch it (because once it crashes the message "# of #" disappears).  It would be nice if MC logged this and the filename to a text file for situations like this (you could easily overwrite the file on each import or erase the log after the import process completed sucessfully).

2.  Locate the file in Windows Explorer.  MC seems to import from the "bottom up" (meaning the files that would typically be sorted last alphabetically in the directory are imported first).  To do this, I just counted manually.  (Tip:  If you Shift-Select multiple files in Explorer the status bar will tell you how many files you've selected.  I just made a separate "holding" folder and grabbed files 100 at a time and drag-dropped them into the other folder - to get them out of the way - keeping count until I got close to the problem file.  Then, once it was deleted it was easy to scan the remaining files in the original directory to make sure there weren't any more hiding in there.)

3.  Move or delete the file.  Import again.

EVERY time I encountered this problem, there was REALLY something wrong with the file (or my filesystem).  In most cases, when I simply selected the file in Windows Explorer (not even opened the file, simply selected it) it would crash Explorer.exe (which forced me to resort to deleting/moving from the command prompt).

I'm not sure where these screwy files came from, but I suspect it was due to filesystem errors that ocurred before I switched over fully to a RAID system.  In some cases, I KNOW the files worked at one time, but somehow became corrupted.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

justin@fathoms.org

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 08:37:25 pm »

I did finally find that i had some corrupted files.  not sure how they got that way, since i had just recently ripped them.  there were 7 of them (hence my confusion with MC choking at different points).  but once i deleted them, it worked fine.

my real issue now is that MC should be able to identify the bad files and either skip them, quarantine them, or delete them....but it should not crash.

on the up side...i found iTunes did the same thing.

Windows media player however did not.

perhaps something to work on for the next version?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 08:55:08 pm »

Could you send a file that causes a crash to matt @ jriver.com?

If we can reproduce it, we'll have it fixed in a day or two.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 09:46:19 pm »

I did finally find that i had some corrupted files.  not sure how they got that way, since i had just recently ripped them.
Can you provide any details on how you ripped them?  Did you use MC?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 08:40:50 am »

I've had a couple of odd problems re: importing with the last few builds. I've been working on cleaning up my video files, so I'll import a bunch, work on them, then import more, etc.

Everytime I do an import, MC freezes. I have to kill the media center.exe process and restart MC. Once I do that, the files have all been imported and everything's fine.

It's possible that I'm alt-tabbing out of MC to some other app while the import is taking place. I'll try and see if that could be some sort of link.

However... after my latest import, whenever I go to the Videos node of the tree, MC complains about not being able to read the associations file. There's some other message (I'm not at my home PC at the moment), and then MC just exits.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 09:03:35 am »

Maybe the log file in MC 11.0.129 (or newer) could help.  Instructions here on how to check the log:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24800

Thanks for any help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

baldwig

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 10:01:03 pm »

:)
I have finally figured out the issue.  It seems long filenames are the problem.

For example this particular filename caused a crash:

O:\Dance, Electronica & HipHop\The Black, The White, The Yellow And the Brown\02 - Colours(black, White, Yellow, Brown, Red - Diana Brown & Barrie K. Sharp - The Black, The White, The Yellow And the Brown

XP also has issues with dealing with the file length - however managed to find away to rename and move forward.

Hope that this is useul
Pages: [1]   Go Up