INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.129 Alpha Available  (Read 9984 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.129 Alpha Available
« on: November 19, 2004, 05:01:11 pm »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your feedback on it, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  Some plugins still do not work.

We recommend that you use MC10 below, but if you want to use MC 11 while we're building it, PRICES are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110129.exe [see price link above]

Recent Changes

11.0.129 (11/19/04)

1. Fixed: WMA files with long notes or bios stored in the previous extended field format could cause a crash when being analyzed by MC.
2. Fixed: Tree auto-expand / auto-collapse was not working properly in some cases.
3. Fixed: CD views would shuffle the sequence column and flicker when redrawing when files were queued for burning.
4. NEW: Media Center creates a log file in the "Logs" folder beneath the library for each import. (aids troubleshooting and allows users to see exactly what gets changed)
5. Changed: Revised MP3 Encoder options wording to make it more clear whether it's in VBR, ABR, or CBR mode.
6. Fixed: Option to trim silence when burning a CD was not working.
7. Fixed: PDA devices will not cause new versions of the update file to download.
8. Changed: View schemes show in Theater View by default or after upgrade. (was hiding by default -- still configurable)
9. Fixed: Database could get corrupted by viewing a removable handheld device.
10. Changed: CD burning displays per-file progress in the list during a burn.

11.0.128 (11/15/04)

1. Fixed: Theater View's "Add (selection)" command wouldn't work properly when selecting individual files with check marks.
2. Changed: MC can now display CMYK format JPEGs.
3. Fixed: Changes made with "Edit View Scheme" wouldn't show in the tree until the tree was collapsed and expanded.
4. Changed: MC now sorts word breaks before punctuation. (example: "mc sort" before "mc's sort")
5. Changed: View scheme results are run before the global search. (order can be important with combinations of advanced search params)
6. New: MC TV can do time-shifting on ATI HDTV Wonder device.
7. Fixed: Send To and Action Window playlist building would add tracks to the beginning instead of the end of a playlist.
8. Fixed: WAV file info like duration and bitrate was not being imported.

MC 11 Improvements

• CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
  • Many Theater View enhancements
  • Animated Direct3D file browsing
  • Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
  • Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
  • Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
  • Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
  • Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
  • MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
  • New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
  • Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
  • Added multi-zone synchronization
  • Added Album Gain support
  • Document support with full text searching / indexing
  • Pane auto-sizing
  • Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
  • New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
  • File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
  • Basic image editing
  • Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
  • Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
  • Video CD playback support
  • Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
  • Support for ATI HDTV card
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Media Center 11.0.129 Alpha Available
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 05:02:27 pm »

This build may be a little rough around the edges for ripping, burning, and handheld transfers.  Their internals got reworked a bit this build.

Please let us know if you find any problems, and thanks for the patience.

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 05:52:46 pm »

6. Fixed: Option to trim silence when burning a CD was not working.

Thanks! I've been having some trouble with this and couldn't get an answer in the forum. I'll check it out when I get back home!

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 08:22:06 pm »

BURNING Problems.

Error writing CD-TEXT
No seek complete. then ejected.

Removed the write CD-Text option, was running fine, UNTIL I read
10. Changed: CD burning displays per-file progress in the list during a burn.
so I Clicked on SHOW LIST while it was running. and MC terminated (just went away)
There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 09:27:10 pm »

2. Fixed: Tree auto-expand / auto-collapse was not working properly in some cases.

Seems to still be broken on my machine. Is this supposed to work when switching between view scemes as well, or just in between modes?
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 11:57:28 pm »

I crash to desktop when I select the Drives & Devices on the left side menu.  The error message is regarding mediacenter.exe and cdwriter.ocx

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 03:13:20 am »

Right click on the button "dsp-studio" doesn't do anything anymore
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 03:36:17 am »

MC11 crashes when I select the CD drive with the CD in it when trying to rip.

Drat!

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 11:04:42 am »

RE: MC11 and Ripping.

I recently decided to take the advice of another and give MC a try for ripping. I found it to be very 'smooth and effortless' in it's functioning.
I did notice the following which may imply a need for some repairs.

1) After the rip was Complete, there was no notification of such, instead I finally realized "gee, this is taking forever" and looked more closely. I am somehow certain that you did not intend upon latent telepathy to convey this message to the user.   :D

2) After the Rip was done and over and I had moved on, I was unable to open the CD Drive drawer! Even once I closed MC!!   ?
I was forced to reboot to get the disc out of the drive (on two (2) seperate occasions).  

3) It appears that even after considering that MC  is ripping, encoding, analyzing for replay gains, getting the cover art, etc, all in one heap (which is VERY impressive & convenient) it still takes longer than another un-named ripping program.
*NOTE: Having read the thread on encoding speed, and having experienced same, I have been using 'Custom Command Line' setting of --preset extreme and so this is not likely the issue.

4) Does MC take advantage of C2 error correction?

edit:

After turning off the 'Auto Rip" function and ripping another CD, the CD Drive drawer did open as it was supposed to. So the problem is in that switch.

. . . the game is rigged

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 03:46:03 pm »

With alpha build 129, I have completely lost ability to Rip CD. Each time I try, MC11 crashes. First time experiencing this kind of MC failure.

Media Center Registered 11.0.129 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1970 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 754 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive N:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive O:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\backup-complete-m-us.wav

Burning /  Drive N: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-108    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

tofer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 04:23:23 pm »

I have a large library with about 15,000 files, about 200 of which are video files in a variety of formats.   When importing the video files, MC crashes if it encounters a corruption or other problem in any one of the files.  Is there a way to trap these errors and just skip the problem file instead of crashing? Unfortunately, since it crashes, I can't tell you what type of file its having trouble with.

Also, it does not appear that the tag data is being stored in the files for most video formats,  as files that were previously tagged do not reflect those tags when they are reimported into a new library.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 04:26:12 pm »

With alpha build 129, I have completely lost ability to Rip CD. Each time I try, MC11 crashes. First time experiencing this kind of MC failure.
Matt said above:
This build may be a little rough around the edges for ripping, burning, and handheld transfers.  Their internals got reworked a bit this build.
You could download the previous build by changing 129 to 128 or you could wait a build or two and it will be fixed.

Markus

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 04:03:25 am »

1) In many dialogues the "cancel"-button doesn't work reliably - it often seems to do nothing. E.g. when I try to cancel the download cover art images from the internet-process.

2) This (to cancel the operation) is often necessary because the cover art download process often hangs up. Media Center goes up to 99% cpu usage but the progress indicator doesn't move for hours, no more images get downloaded. It is especially frustrating that thousands of freshly downloaded but not yet saved cover art images get lost everytime I have to kill the Media Center process manually...

3) When I click under "drives & devices" on computer folders containing many media files MC starts to analyse which can take very long  for a folder with  .avi/.mpeg files, but can be painfully slow for folders containing just audio or document  files.  When I click the cancel butten in the "gathering information and updating view"-window it happens that quite some time passes before I can use MC again.

4) Though MC allows to analyze audio files and fetch cover art from the internet at the same time this leads to a hang up. When the the second of the two just named processes starts the first one stops working and even seems to lock up. Again cancelling doesn't work well here, either.

5) Having .m4a files (from Apple iTunes or Allofmp3.com) in a playlist together with .mp3 or .ogg files it happens that your ears get blasted by the volume level of the .m4a files being so much higher. This makes MCs ability to play .m4a files quite useless... It would be great if MC could analyze .m4a files, too or at least generally play them on a reduce level as MC does with other not yet analyzed files.

Markus

Media Center Registered 11.0.129 -- C:\Programme\J River\Media Center 11\

AMD Athlon 1529 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 272 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 04:50:22 am »

Matt said above:
You could download the previous build by changing 129 to 128 or you could wait a build or two and it will be fixed.

Howdy!

Yep, I think sometimes we forget that this is an Alpha. Generally things work pretty well and are being tweaked to display or whatnot. Then something changes and an ugly behavior jumps up in a different place. But, that's what we're here for. As long as it doesn't physically damage my music, reinstalling or recreating the library is something that you expect to do. Or should expect to do anyway.

As part of helping us all remember to READ the posts, is it possible to just have a sticky post at the top of the page "Latest MC 11 Alpha Build"? Then when there is a newer one, whatever is inside the sticky could be spun off into its own post "MC Alpha Build 128" or whatever.

I know for me, I lose the thread once it sinks down a few notches.

Of course, that reading thing is hard for me to begin with.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 04:55:43 am »

"Show list" in CD burning process causes MC to crash.

Drat again!

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 09:58:11 am »

Yea, the handheld handling is rough.

With .129, it didn't automatically recognize my MiniMP3 (sold by TeleAdapt). It had always recognized it before. I set it up manually (the way you'd set up a hard drive) and then it seemed to work. But it took several minutes for the Handheld item to show in the Action Window.

Haven't tried my iPod yet, that'll be this evening.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 12:39:05 pm »

Thanks for the sticky.  I have a lot of CDs to rip this weekend, so I think I'll hold off on .129.  Thanks for the "rough around the edges" warning!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 06:41:34 pm »

some v11 things, not necessarily in the latest build:

1.  from Playing Now, go to Windowed View, (have minimize to system tray set to yes in options), in some cases after coming out of windowed view, a "Media Center Display" tile is still in the Windows Taskbar.  You cannot act on it at all.

2.  A Tivo specific one.  In Tivo, go under Photos.  Select Playlist and you get four choices: Audio, Images, Video and I forget the last.  Whatever you select, you get the same four things.  So you can end up with:

Root/Playlists/Images/Images/Images

i.e no matter what you pick you end up at the same four options without actually any content in the list.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 06:44:44 pm »

"Show list" in CD burning process causes MC to crash

Yes it does. No problems with burning if you DON'T do that though.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

SteveG

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 08:46:57 pm »

tlongacre,

MC will not automatically recognize devices that show up as usb mass storage devices unless one of the following:

1) It is WMDM compatible (See if it appears in WMP to confirm this).
2) A path is created for it in the Handheld Options 'Configure remote drive."
3) It has a customized MC plugin and is coded to be recognized by MC.

In regards to the 'several minutes..' did MC tell you it was creating a database of the files on it and that it would take a while and only do this one time?

Steve

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 08:42:29 am »

Can anyone with the "Show list" during burning crash answer these:

1) Does the type of burn matter?
2) Does it also crash if you manually click on the drive in the tree?
3) Does the type of disc currently in the drive matter?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 11:17:05 am »

Seems to still be broken on my machine. Is this supposed to work when switching between view scemes as well, or just in between modes?

By design it doesn't auto-expand at a view scheme root, because normally you'd look to the panes at this point, and growing the tree a lot can be disconcerting.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 11:43:38 am »

Bug:

(Not sure which build this started in though.  Just noticed it in 129 today).

In the left pane under the AUDIO view scheme, I have 8 other view schemes.  I highlight one of those, then choose EDIT>COPY from the drop-down menu.  Then click on the AUDIO view scheme in the left pane to highlight it.  Then choose EDIT>PASTE from the drop-down menu.

It correctly copies the view scheme under the AUDIO scheme, and appends a (1) to the orignal's name.

However, it pops up a message box that says Please wait...    Working......  with an hourglass.   This stays on the screen permanently.  I let it sit there for a half hour.
Closing and restarting MC is the only way I could get it to go away.  The scheme was saved correctly.  Sounds like there is no command to close the message box when the process finishes.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 12:13:47 pm »

tlongacre,

MC will not automatically recognize devices that show up as usb mass storage devices unless one of the following:

1) It is WMDM compatible (See if it appears in WMP to confirm this).
2) A path is created for it in the Handheld Options 'Configure remote drive."
3) It has a customized MC plugin and is coded to be recognized by MC.

In regards to the 'several minutes..' did MC tell you it was creating a database of the files on it and that it would take a while and only do this one time?

Steve

Well, as I said, in previous versions of MC (both 11 and 10), this device showed up automatically as a handheld device. So something changed.

MC didn't tell me anything for the several minutes. It just wasn't listed and then suddenly it *was* listed.

I did create a path for it, but the problem with that is that MC picks up the drive letter which changes depending on what else I have hooked up and what got put on in what order (for instance, it picked up this drive as F:, but later, that drive was disconnected and I connected my iPod, and *it* was now F:). This creating a drive works great for stationary hard drives, but it doesn't work so well for removable devices.

BTW -- the great news is that I did try syncing the iPod photo and voila`, it worked! I just did one playlist that only had a few changes (being a bit nervous), but it worked and it was quick.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 12:22:10 pm »

getting a lot of crashes in this version.

I was ripping CDs and there was some problem (I think it was on my end, I'm ripping to a network drive and it seems to have lost the connection or something). There was no way to gracefully get out or skip that file and keep going. When I hit Cancel on the rip, MC just didn't respond forever and I eventually ended it from the Windows task list.

When I opened the task list, it showed the WMDM thing running -- at the time I only had my iPod connected (no other handheld devices) -- should that have been running?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004, 01:01:25 pm »

I did create a path for it, but the problem with that is that MC picks up the drive letter which changes depending on what else I have hooked up and what got put on in what order (for instance, it picked up this drive as F:, but later, that drive was disconnected and I connected my iPod, and *it* was now F:). This creating a drive works great for stationary hard drives, but it doesn't work so well for removable devices.

If you are running XP, you can assign a letter to the device. I do that here and everything plays nicely, has the same letter from connect to connect.

Your mileage may vary...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2004, 04:02:31 pm »

Repost because we still can't reproduce this:

Thanks.

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2004, 04:13:31 pm »

The visualization issue with a fresh install remains (intended?) here's a typical screen of what the vis looks like, they worked fine until I formatted my system and only installed MC11. (When having MC10 installed first and MC11 later it worked fine as far as I can remember)

Screenshot

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2004, 04:25:24 pm »

AppName: media center.exe    AppVer: 11.0.129.0    ModName: media center.exe
ModVer: 11.0.129.0    Offset: 0025f520

burn .. show list..  JUst said burn. (NO CD IN). then droped files. then show list)
0065F510  push        esi  
0065F511  mov         esi,dword ptr [esp+8]
0065F515  cmp         esi,0FFFFFFFFh
0065F518  jne         0065F520
0065F51A  or          eax,esi
0065F51C  pop         esi  
0065F51D  ret         4    
0065F520  mov         edx,dword ptr [ecx+8]
0065F523  xor         eax,eax
0065F525  test        edx,edx
0065F527  jle         0065F53C
0065F529  mov         ecx,dword ptr [ecx+4]
0065F52C  lea         esp,[esp]
0065F530  cmp         dword ptr [ecx],esi
0065F532  je          0065F53F
0065F534  inc         eax  
0065F535  add         ecx,0Ch
0065F538  cmp         eax,edx
0065F53A  jl          0065F530

(I only code in 370 assembler, so I don't have a clue if this helps) son - in -laws toys on my machine.

thanks marko

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2004, 04:35:39 pm »

with disc in

AppName: media center.exe    AppVer: 11.0.129.0    ModName: media center.exe
ModVer: 11.0.129.0    Offset: 0025f520

Media Center Registered 11.0.129 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Intel Pentium 4 2385 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 162 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-240B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: DVD+R/RW DX082D             Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

thanks marko

technodestructo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2004, 05:04:57 pm »

:(
upgraded to .129 from .128.

now my pocketpc doesn't show up as a handheld, not does its SD card. now i have to pop out the SD card and put it in my computer's reader to access it and sync. used to work.

downloaded PDA handheld plug-in, but same results.

i hear this build is "rough around the edges," but this is pretty serious.

ps: why the new handheld plug-in? what's new about it? should I be using it?
ps: what is "sync data to MC" supposed to do in the case of a pocketpc?

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2004, 05:34:34 pm »

Oh, I forgot the other thing I meant to mention --

w/ .129 I've lost "synchronize" on the right-click menu of the iPod. It had gone away, then come back and now it's gone again.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2004, 06:50:42 pm »

Repost because we still can't reproduce this:

Thanks.

1. Idunno. I only tried "Audio".
2. Yes
3. Idunno. I only have CD-R 80 min. Memorex, if that helps.  

And, as I said, it works on 1 & 3 above as long as you DON'T choose "show list".
That's right.
I'm cool.

tofer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2004, 08:46:29 pm »

I'm having a problem importing files from a network drive.   When I navigate to the network folder to add a folder to be scanned, the path now reads  C:\documents and settings\nethood\mediafiles\ instead of just \\medserv\mediafiles...any idea why this might happen... I'm on 11.0.129, windows xp, etc.

Firefox

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2004, 11:47:02 pm »

Previously I've used MJ8 and liked it. Now I consider to upgrade and would like to contribute to the alpha/beta program.

Two things stop me :

The main one is the license mechanism of MJ and I'd like to know if MC has improved. I regularly have a "plug-fest" or have other major HW upgrades. And I often re-install Windows from scratch, typically every 4...6 months.
My MJ8 licensed didn't survive and I cannot use it anymore because of that. If I buy another license I would like a license similar to many other developers. Please give a permanent key -- that survives HW upgrades (incl. CPU & MB changes).

The second reason -- in MC10 I'm missing the very useful search capabilities found in MJ8: A commandline may not be mainstream, but I would like to see an option to activate it. Maybe with some improvements to the search expressions (e.g.  ? and *, maybe a strip down version of regexp)

AK

P.S. : Any plans for a Linux version ??

LonWar

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2004, 07:08:59 am »

Previously I've used MJ8 and liked it. Now I consider to upgrade and would like to contribute to the alpha/beta program.

Two things stop me :

The main one is the license mechanism of MJ and I'd like to know if MC has improved. I regularly have a "plug-fest" or have other major HW upgrades. And I often re-install Windows from scratch, typically every 4...6 months.
My MJ8 licensed didn't survive and I cannot use it anymore because of that. If I buy another license I would like a license similar to many other developers. Please give a permanent key -- that survives HW upgrades (incl. CPU & MB changes).

The second reason -- in MC10 I'm missing the very useful search capabilities found in MJ8: A commandline may not be mainstream, but I would like to see an option to activate it. Maybe with some improvements to the search expressions (e.g.  ? and *, maybe a strip down version of regexp)

AK

P.S. : Any plans for a Linux version ??

The lincence issue, MJ and MC give you a certain amount of restores per year, I think it's 10??
Goto the FAQ thread and there is a link to the restore page. The lincence is not linked to any hardware.
-

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2004, 09:12:24 am »

Bug: Running MJEXTMAN.EXE unminimizes Media Center.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2004, 09:33:28 am »

1- Insert 700MB CD-R blank

2- Choose the search preset "One Data CD" and send the <= 700MB of music to the Burn CD drop zone

3- Click 'Burn'

4- Error Message pops up telling you that:
You have selected more than the capacity of the blank CD

5- Last I knew 695mb was less than 700mb and should fit

6- You must remove tracks from the burn queue until it is less than 650mb before it will burn weithout an error message regarding capacity

7- Yes I am certain my blank CD-R's are 700mb capacity blanks.

?  ?  ?

. . . the game is rigged

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2004, 10:16:56 am »

I'll try to look again at the crash on CD burning a little later to answer your questions Matt.

In the meantime been testing synching with my Ipod. "Eject Ipod" by R/clicking works on Ipod then crashes MC - tried twice.

Also during synching only half the 200 files transferred - got an "out of memory" messgae from MC - not Windows - and then the usual list of files that didn't transfer.

John

LonWar

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2004, 10:21:37 am »

1- Insert 700MB CD-R blank

2- Choose the search preset "One Data CD" and send the <= 700MB of music to the Burn CD drop zone

3- Click 'Burn'

4- Error Message pops up telling you that:
You have selected more than the capacity of the blank CD

5- Last I knew 695mb was less than 700mb and should fit

6- You must remove tracks from the burn queue until it is less than 650mb before it will burn weithout an error message regarding capacity

7- Yes I am certain my blank CD-R's are 700mb capacity blanks.

?  ?  ?

Hi AoXoMoXoA

Even though a disc says 700mb, You will not get that much space.

It has to do with the actual calculation. The manufacturers call 1000 bytes a mb. the actual calculation is a bit higher.

It's the same reason a 20gb harddrive will shaow as 17.
-

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2004, 11:03:07 am »

Hi AoXoMoXoA

Even though a disc says 700mb, You will not get that much space.

It has to do with the actual calculation. The manufacturers call 1000 bytes a mb. the actual calculation is a bit higher.

It's the same reason a 20gb harddrive will shaow as 17.

Thanks for the reply Gamer,
I understand this, yet have sucessfully burned 690-700 MB onto a 700mb CD-R using other applications (without setting the program to over-burn). Only in MC have I been restricted to 650MB on a 700MB CD-R.
. . . the game is rigged

LonWar

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2004, 11:31:57 am »

That's interesting..... I gues I am wrong....

Oh well. It's not like that's never happened before...  ;D ;D
-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2004, 12:59:44 pm »

The "Show list" crash during ripping / burning happened when one of the CD drives wasn't a burner.

Look for a fix next build.

SteveG

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2004, 01:12:21 pm »

tlongacre,

Well, as I said, in previous versions of MC (both 11 and 10), this device showed up automatically as a handheld device. So something changed.

Yes, the way MC detects devices is changed and will continue to be different than the old way we detected devices.

This is a fair criticism, but we have committed to this way of detection for now. Please see GHammer's post in this thread.

When I opened the task list, it showed the WMDM thing running -- at the time I only had my iPod connected (no other handheld devices) -- should that have been running?

Yes.

w/ .129 I've lost "synchronize" on the right-click menu of the iPod. It had gone away, then come back and now it's gone again.

This may be a symptom of installing many different versions. If you install MC 11 again, this should go away.

technodestructo,

There is currently no working plugin for PDA's and MC 11. It will not work to run a plugin from an older MC.  Are you saying that your PDA was detected and working in 11.0.128? If so, tell me if your PDA is recognized in Windows Explorer as a mass storage device or if it is visible in Windows Media Player. Sync data to MC will not have an affect for a PDA .

John,

In the meantime been testing synching with my Ipod. "Eject Ipod" by R/clicking works on Ipod then crashes MC - tried twice.

I will check this out.  I cannot duplicate it immediately.

Also during synching only half the 200 files transferred - got an "out of memory" messgae from MC - not Windows - and then the usual list of files that didn't transfer.

Is your iPod empty or approaching its limit? Can you transfer a smaller subset of these files?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2004, 01:52:51 pm »

FYI, I tested with my ipod today.
It is near full, with only 56 MB free.

The eject ipod worked fine with no crash and did what it was supposed to do.  The ipod screen showed the checkmark saying it was ok to undock it.

This is will build 129.

If you are having ipod trouble, especially if you don't get the sychronize option when you right click it in the device tree, delete these 2 files and then reinstall MC11 build 129.
hh_portable.dll
hh_wmdm.dll
pdt.xml

they are in different subfolders under the Media Center 11 folder.

I sync my ipod daily and have not had any trouble with build 129.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2004, 02:33:41 pm »

Steve,

Just disconnected the Ipod again - same thing MC crashes straightaway.

As for the "out of memory" message I'm within 10% full capacity. Tried to synch the files again - no problem. Could have been one of those things...

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up