INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use "Assorted" For [Artist]  (Read 1241 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
Use "Assorted" For [Artist]
« on: February 25, 2005, 08:05:10 pm »

Hi, with MC 11:

When I select all the files from "Album Z", and the [Artist] field is different for each track b/c it is a comp, and I choose Library Tools -> Rename Files Using File Properties, and I have the following info filled in:

Check: Directories
Base Path: K:\MP3
Rule: [Artist]\[Album]
Check: Use 'Assorted for [Artist] on multi-artist albums
Check: Filename
Rule: [Artist] - [Track #] - [Name]

It does not use 'Assorted' for Artist when creating the directory structure.  It creates separate directories based on the artist name.  Am I using it wrong, or is it not doing what I think it should do?

Thanks,
Davis

Media Center Registered 11.0.184 -- F:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1124 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2097 MB, Free - 1677 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive I:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive J:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive I: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-716A     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

davisford

• World Citizen
Re: Use "Assorted" For [Artist]
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 09:06:17 am »

Hi, I would like to follow up on this.  Ya know -- I understand people are busy, and can't respond to everything.  Especially, if questions can be answered by RTFM.  A few of my questions I have answered myself, and deleted the post.  However, if RTFM doesn't solve the problem, and the user is left out in the cold, then either 1/2 things is going on:

1) Documentation is incorrect or wrong -- in which case I would think it would be helpful feedback to get better documentation.

2) Program does not work as intended -- in which case I would think it would be helpful feedback for beta testing.

For this instance, the documentation says:

[CUT/PASTE]
Here is the logic. A track is a mix if all the files with the same [Album] value in the same directory:

·      have more than one [Artist] value among them

·      have no other [Album] values used by any other file in the same directory

·      are Audio and have a non-empty [Album] value

Automatic Assorted
When you rename files (right click > Library Tools > Rename Files from Properties), the window that appears provides the option to "Use Assorted for [Artist] on multi-artist albums". This is just under the Directories Rule. When selected, the files will be saved in a directory called Assorted if you have included the [Artist] rule in the directory rule.

Example:

Artist: Stackabones,   Album: Best of Truck Driving Songs

Directory Rule:
Base path: M:\Music\
Rule: [Artist]\[Album]
"Use Assorted [Artist] on multi-artist albums" is checked.

Result:
M:\Music\Assorted\Best of Truck Driving Songs\Filenamerule
[END CUT/PASTE]

So, I did this.  And it does not create M:\Music\Assorted\AlbumName\...

But instead creates something like

M:\Music\Artist1\AlbumName\...
M:\Music\Artist2\AlbumName\...
M:\Music\Artist3\AlbumName\...

Here's the output of the log after Import:

Found: K:\MP3\1st National Band\Acid And Flowers\1st National Band - 10 - When Once It Was Gold.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\Culver Street Playground\Acid And Flowers\Culver Street Playground - 17 - East River.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\Ford Theatre\Acid And Flowers\Ford Theatre - 14 - Jefferson Airplance.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\Hindenburg Lyon\Acid And Flowers\Hindenburg Lyon - 13 - Eden.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Allies\Acid And Flowers\The Allies - 04 - I'll Sell My Soul.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Crystal Chandelier\Acid And Flowers\The Crystal Chandelier - 01 - The Setting.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Hobbits\Acid And Flowers\The Hobbits - 06 - Strawberry Children.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Last Word\Acid And Flowers\The Last Word - 02 - Bidin' My Time.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Lords\Acid And Flowers\The Lords - 15 - Death Bells At Dawn.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Morticians\Acid And Flowers\The Morticians - 09 - It's Gonna Take A While.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Picture\Acid And Flowers\The Picture - 07 - Evolution.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Rainy Daze\Acid And Flowers\The Rainy Daze - 20 - In My Mind Lives A Fog.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Savage Generation\Acid And Flowers\The Savage Generation - 11 - You're Not Going...mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Starfires\Acid And Flowers\The Starfires - 12 - There's Still Time.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The United Travel Service\Acid And Flowers\The United Travel Service - 16 - Wind And Sea.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Venus Flytrap\Acid And Flowers\The Venus Flytrap - 19 - The Note.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Whatever\Acid And Flowers\The Whatever - 03 - The Valley Of Death.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The World Column\Acid And Flowers\The World Column - 05 - Lantern Gospel.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\The Zero Tolerance\Acid And Flowers\The Zero Tolerance - 21 - Acid And Flowers.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\Utopia Carwash\Acid And Flowers\Utopia Carwash - 18 - Loneliness.mp3
Found: K:\MP3\West Coast Branch\Acid And Flowers\West Coast Branch - 08 - Colors Of My Life.mp3

Each track belongs to [Album]: Acid And Flowers.  Each [Artist] field is different. 
So, I've got 21 separate folders -- each with a single track in them now. 

Why does it do this, and is there any way to fix this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 09:09:40 am »

MC11 still has the MC10 documentation.  Documentation gets done after everything else is finished.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 09:16:11 am »

Ok, I understand documenation comes after.  Can you answer this quick question:

In MC 10, this feature (noted above) seemed to work correctly.  Now in MC 11, it does not seem to work as expected.  Is this an intended change, and is there any workaround in the meantime?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 09:25:37 am »

A workaround:

Check: Directories
Base Path: K:\MP3
Rule: Assorted\[Album]
Uncheck: Use 'Assorted' for [Artist] on multi-artist albums
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 12:28:11 pm »

This has been broken for a long time (every version of 11?)

But the workaround mentioned above works and isn't too much of a PITA.

It is confusing for newbies, but MC11 is still beta, I figure there's gonna be confusing stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up