INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: bass management  (Read 2613 times)

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Request: bass management
« on: December 18, 2004, 10:47:40 am »

Hi there

Playing with MC, it seems to be a well rounded application.

However, for use with high-end PCs, something that would be most useful would be proper bass managment with ASIO.

Many high end multi-channel audio cards (RME for example) do not have bass managment in their software. Some do (M-Audio, for example).

Therefore, those running 2.1 or multi-channel audio set-ups with one or more sub-woofers have no way of directing bass frequencies.

MC is great in that it supports ASIO and therefore bypassess all the windows kmixer junk. If it supported bass managment, it would be perfect.

Fo an idea of what I mean, see implementation in TheaterTek 2 Pro Audio edition. This software implements full bass managment and can therefore be used with any audio card.

Just a thought

Peter

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Feature Request: bass management
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 04:59:32 am »

Replying to your own post is a sign of madness. However...

I've been in touch with RME, manufacturers of some of the finest sound cards available, probably.

Anyway, I asked if they might consider implementing bass managment in their drivers/software a la M-Audio. I've been told in no uncertain terms that bass managment is the responsibility of the player and that there are no plans to implement.

Now, from reports, RME apparently provide the best possible standards of analouge output (and balanced as well) and the 9632 is my next upgrade. However, unless I can find a bass amnagment solution for stereo music, I'm a bit stuck.

Media Center is certainly my player of choice. It's got ASIO output, multi-zone capabilities, integration with NetRemote - all things I've been searching for for some time. Implementation of a 2.1 option (with frequency crossover settings, channel delay settings etc.) would be the icing on the cake.

(by the way, why no Feature Request section on this forum?)

Peter

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 09:32:46 am »

I've been in touch with RME, manufacturers of some of the finest sound cards available, probably.

Anyway, I asked if they might consider implementing bass managment in their drivers/software a la M-Audio. I've been told in no uncertain terms that bass managment is the responsibility of the player and that there are no plans to implement.
I guess based on your desires, this is not the finest sound card available.

My cheap SB Audigy 2 has bass controls.

I'd wonder why the subwoofer does not have a bandpass filter on it.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 09:47:10 am »

Ghammer

I bought and binned a SB Audigy 2 Platinum EX

-It upamples audio to 48KHz thus mangling the original signal
-Apart from ropey 3rd party drivers, there is no way of bypassing its reliance on windows audio architecture and Kmangler
-It has toy 3 pole mini-jack outputs for which Creative do not supply cables
-To cap it all, the outputs are located too close together for all three to be used at once :o (I had to shave the plastic grips off my audio jacks to make them fit!)
-SB software is incoherent, disparate, confusing and broken

RME produce professional sound cards with balanced (XLR) audio output and superior drivers resulting in bit perfect D/A conversions and have won the respect of the professionla recording world.

My M-Audio Delta 410 also has Bass controls, and they work just fine thank you very much. However, I am keen to upgrade my audio output hardware to the best available.  Yes, it would be great if RME included bass managment in their software but that appears unlikely. That being the case, I have posted here to enquire as to whether JRiver might consider adding bass managment to MEdia Center (As TheaterTek have done with version 2 of their player).

My sub has crossover settings but I want to use my HTPC in flexible 2.1 or 5.1 arrangements and don't wish to engage in complex cable routing changes when switching between music and movies.

I am not interested in turining this into a hardware discussion thread. Let's assume a need for flexible bass managment within Media Center thus facilitating greater choice on behalf of end-users.

Does anyone else want that? Will it ever happen?

Peter

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 10:33:09 am »

Ghammer

I bought and binned a SB Audigy 2 Platinum EX

RME produce professional sound cards with balanced (XLR) audio output and superior drivers resulting in bit perfect D/A conversions and have won the respect of the professionla recording world.
I guess the "superior drivers" need a little work. I'd rather see drivers control sound than each application.

But then, my cheap SB and 5.1 apeakers probably do not reach the lofty level of reproduction required of a true audiophile.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 10:51:15 am »

I guess the "superior drivers" need a little work. I'd rather see drivers control sound than each application.

So would I! Hoever, reality dictates that is not to be the case.

... amp/preamp?

I am actually attmepting to eliminate the preamp completely and configure HTPC as pre/pro, outputting directly to powered speakers (PMC AML1s if you must know)

PCs are an ideal tool for suberb audio reproduction. It's possible to build an audio or home theater PC that competes with the very best dedicated hardware for a significantly reduced cost. I know. I've done it.

I am simply seeking the best possible sound reproduction. I can distingush the difference between the sound out of a €100 mass-market sound card and one costing five times as much with professional features. Woe on me. Why should I settle for inferior sound when better can be acheived? I know cost is a factor. That's the principal reason why I'm going about it this way. I can build a PC for a few thousand € that more than matches hardware costing ten times as much. That gives me a buzz. As does the eternal tweaking to make things better.

Peter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 10:56:43 am »

I edited a couple of posts above to improve their holiday spirit.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 11:27:08 am »

Ho Ho Ho!

And this year, Santa will be bringing.......

Bass Management for all JRiver MC users!

(Well, that's what I wrote to him for, anyway).

Peter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 11:28:43 am »

Have you been good?   8)

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 11:35:00 am »

Very!

And watching out.
No crying.
Not shouting either!

Hugo_Elbuho

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 11:38:44 am »

Have you ever considered forgetting about Creative's drivers and installing kxProject drivers? (www.kxproject.org).

I use myself an Audigy Platinum sound card with those and works very good, including what you mention your needs are. Though those are not recommended for a naive user. One of the features is you can redirect whatever frequencies to the subwoofer.

In general, those drivers will give you back control to all those features you request via a DSP panel and other things you never dreamed of with Creative's own software.

If you need any further advise please let me know.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 11:44:29 am »

Thanks for that Hugo

I alluded to these drivers in my second post above. I did try them when I had my Audigy and found them useful.

However, this thread is not about the merits of a particular sound card (though it is shpaing up that way).

What I'm argueing for is card-independent bass managment built in to MC. That way, any card supporting ASIO would have a very clean path from source to output with configurable crossovers and delays handled in the player.

Not required for cards already including bass managment but a necessitity for those without.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up