INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Player and JRiver's Year  (Read 2713 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Real Player and JRiver's Year
« on: December 16, 2004, 11:34:36 am »

Real Networks has had a steaming pile of crap for a lot longer than RealOne. Ever since they stopped being a simple media streaming protocol and decided to make RealPlayer one of the biggest culprits of system hijacking they stopped being a good company in my book. I just love installing software and finding out it's stuck shortcuts all over my Start Menu, desktop, Quick Launch, Bookmarks, etc. set they're page as my homepage, etc.

When they decided to make RealOne a subscription-based software, I really wasn't suprised. Just more crap.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: A simple Christmas gift to the JRiver crew
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 01:34:28 pm »

Yes, i only install it when i need it, i get an error message when i boot up the computer saying it can not comunicate with there server.

I supect they are trying to hack into my computer to read all the letters I send to Mom and dad.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 03:01:44 pm »

Real Networks has had a steaming pile of crap for a lot longer than RealOne. Ever since they stopped being a simple media streaming protocol and decided to make RealPlayer one of the biggest culprits of system hijacking they stopped being a good company in my book. I just love installing software and finding out it's stuck shortcuts all over my Start Menu, desktop, Quick Launch, Bookmarks, etc. set they're page as my homepage, etc.

When they decided to make RealOne a subscription-based software, I really wasn't suprised. Just more crap.

If you look at their site carefully, you can find their corporate client. No ads, no other crap. Just a player, you know, like it used to be. I install that here because I've had lousy luck with replacements and workarounds for real media.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 04:57:03 pm »

Hmm... I may have to check that out.

But anyway... I have the feeling my dislike of Real has caused me to hijack this thread. Its original intent was to offer the guys and gals at J River a Merry Christmas. So...

Merry Christmas, guys. I know it's been a rough year for a lot of different reasons, but here's hoping for a better one to come.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 06:23:31 pm »

Merry Christmas, guys. I know it's been a rough year for a lot of different reasons, but here's hoping for a better one to come.
Thanks, Doof.  It was actually a moderately spectacular year for JRiver.  We can now buy potatoes and day old bread for our families.

A lot of great stuff happened this year.  The 4 or 5 years of gruel and library paste are behind us now.  We've broken out above the clouds and the sun is shining.

breadfan

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Real Player and JRiver's Lousy Year
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 06:42:47 pm »

for real player corporate client head here :)

http://software-dl.real.com/17aee8ee5638601ad800/ria/entinst.exe

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 06:54:19 pm »

We can now buy potatoes and day old bread for our families.

Reminds Me Of Oliver Twist
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 11:00:39 pm »

Reminds me of monty python

http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-four-yorkshiremen.html

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 02:50:47 am »

Speaking of Monty Python....

I found a 15 disc set of all 45 episodes of Monty Pythons Flying Circus at a DVD shop the other day. Box set and all. This is a case of the reeeeeeallly good fakes they have over here. Asking price...

170RMB

You do the math.

Im sure the shop owner could feel the giddyness oozing off of me as he told me the price.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

IanG

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 03:34:38 am »

170RMB

You do the math.

I'd love to, but what are "RMB"?  :-[

Ian G.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 05:33:16 am »

I'd love to, but what are "RMB"?  :-[

Ian G.
8 to a US dollar roughly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 06:56:57 am »

Chinese currency, I think.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 08:42:51 am »

RMB = Remimbi (Chinese for money)

I got that from watching lethal weapon 4 ;)

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 11:09:28 pm »

Please get your facts straight before you rant.
RealOne was never a subscription-based product.  The Plus version was offered as a freebie with any of their subscriptions.
RealPlayer Plus is available for a one-time fee of $19.95.  I registered the Plus version back in the RealOne v1 days, and have never had to pay for an upgrade.
Beginning with RealPlayer 10, RealNetworks listened to their customers and gave the option of deactivating the message center and controlling the media types during the installation process.  There is no spyware installed.

RealPlayer 10.5 is a very good piece of software for what it is; a multimedia player aimed at the general public.  JRiver offers an even better product for those of us looking for more in this type of product.

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 02:37:47 pm »

If you translate it into direct Chinglish, it would be "People's Money/Currency"
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 10:07:36 am »

Please get your facts straight before you rant.
RealOne was never a subscription-based product.  The Plus version was offered as a freebie with any of their subscriptions.
RealPlayer Plus is available for a one-time fee of $19.95.  I registered the Plus version back in the RealOne v1 days, and have never had to pay for an upgrade.
Beginning with RealPlayer 10, RealNetworks listened to their customers and gave the option of deactivating the message center and controlling the media types during the installation process.  There is no spyware installed.

RealPlayer 10.5 is a very good piece of software for what it is; a multimedia player aimed at the general public.  JRiver offers an even better product for those of us looking for more in this type of product.

Hey, didn't mean to offend you. You like Real. Well, there's no accounting for taste, I guess.  I just remember when RealOne was first launched there was a big uproar about how it was subscription based. At that point I had already hated them for so long that I never bothered to go to their site and check. That's one product I've turned my back on and have never looked back.

Real never should have been hijacking systems in the first place, let alone wait until the backlash from their customers before changing that practice. I never claimed they installed spyware, so I'm not sure where that comment came from, but I do remember reading an article a while back about some concerns that their download manager was spying on users. Again, I don't use their products so I never bothered to look further into it.

If they're finally smartening up as a company and offering up a good product, then good for them. I still won't use it. You can have it.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
Re: Real Player and JRiver's Year
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 10:39:22 am »

I heartily agree.

If RA was not available in a corporate version I'd ignore things in that format. They lost me years ago with all the crap put on my system and the constant begging for a purchase,

Tangoman

• World Citizen
  • You are nothing that you are conscious of.
Re: Real Player and JRiver's Year
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 07:23:44 am »

Hi GHammer
I took your advice and found and loaded their Corp Client versin and now get more pop up and adds than the free version. A real Pain. I tend not to use real for run of the mill listening but I need to listen to the BBC
Just to let you know
Gerry
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. - Anon
Pages: [1]   Go Up