INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network library problem  (Read 1527 times)

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Network library problem
« on: December 18, 2004, 04:09:40 pm »

Hi,

I've been running MC 10.0.173 since its release. I have it on my laptop and on my desktop machines. I used to have a second hd in the laptop which contained a large subset of my desktop music. I decided to pull that out and just point the laptop at the files on the desktop across the network.

I created a new library and after performing an import media operation (which was incredibly slow!), I used MC for awhile then shut it down. When I went back to it later, the library was empty! I had not deleted the original "default" library and all those entries were still there, even though they were invalid. I re-imported the media again (did I mention that this was painfully slow? ;)) then decided to backup the library before playing even the first file. Well, no matter what I do and where I say to do it, I keep getting a "Library backup failed" message.

I've searched the forums and saw one thread about the default library so I deleted it. Still no dice. I then added a new default library, cloned it from the new one I'd created, then tried to back it up. Still no dice. I cannot backup either library and I know as soon as I shut MC down, they will be cleared.

Hopefully, someone with an idea of what's going on here is not knee-deep early into the turkey and can provide some insight (not that other stuff) into what I'm doing wrong or if there is a bug I'm not familiar with.

If it matters:
----------------
Both machines are running WinXP Pro
Both have the latest updates from MS for EVERYTHING
Both are running MC 10.0.173

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Tbone

himini

• Recent member
Re: Library woes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 04:46:11 pm »

I used to have a similar problem occasionally with Media Jukebox 8, and as I recall, it ended up being a network glitch rather than a problem with MJ.  Have you exhausted all possibilities of a network problem?  Do you have only those two computers connected by a crossover cable or do you have a router and or cable/DSL modem?  Is it a wireless system?
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Sony DRU 510-A DVD burner

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 05:01:17 pm »

It's a wireless system (D-Link DI-624 router, DWL-G520 in the desktop and DWL-G650 in the laptop). Why would a network problem prevent me from simply making a backup of the library to a local location?

I made a "test" library and imported some local files. It performed a backup with no problem. That takes me back to my question above.

Still working on it . . . .

Thanks!

Tbone

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 05:05:12 pm »

Also, creating the "test" library and doing the local import . . . . blew the other two libraries out, the ones that contained the info from the desktop system. I have not shut MC down so creating the test library (not likely) or running the import of local files (seems most likely) cleared the other two. This is no fun . . .  :(

Tbone

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Network library problem
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 05:05:59 pm »

Why not use Media Server to play files from the first PC on the second PC?  Check MC's Help.

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 05:28:33 pm »

I never tried a library backup myself from within the program, so I'm not sure how your problem would manifest there; what would happen to me was that the library would not disappear-- it's just that the files would not play and I would have to fiddle with my network until the two computers "saw" each other again.

Your problem may very well be unrelated, but if not, it could be that the new version of MC tries to "validate" the library in some way before it performs the backup.  Have you tried manually copying your library instead of backing up from within the program?

As far as your network goes, do you ever have trouble copying files (both large and small) to and from the different computers?

I only ask because network problems sometimes manifest themselves in strange and inconsistent ways.  Sorry if this ends up being totally futile.

You may want to go the Media Server route like JimH suggests.  I stopped using it for some reason and can't remember exactly why.  I think it was because I lost some subtle functionality.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Sony DRU 510-A DVD burner

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Network library problem
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 05:29:57 pm »

Well, I'd tried the Media Server early on and although I could start it on the desktop, MC on the laptop was saying it could find no local servers.

Well, just tried it again and the SP2 firewall dialogue (on the desktop) popped up so I chose unblock, of course. That did not surface the first time - honest!

Well, I can access it now that way and I tried a library backup on that and it worked.

I'm going to crawl back in my hole now and cover myself with loosely packed dirt . . .  :-[  Geez!

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the diverson.

Tbone
Pages: [1]   Go Up