INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playback skips and other nicks  (Read 1301 times)

tglennt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
playback skips and other nicks
« on: June 30, 2003, 03:25:10 am »

I am new to Media Jukebox and to computer recording in general. I am having a lot of fun learning.

Last night I spent 3 hours recording (ripping?) favorite songs from my ancient LP collection. On playing them back, however, many of the songs had an occasional skip or that momentary digital repeating thing (I've heard it before on dirty CDs). Typically, this happened only a couple of times in the playback, and not on every one.

I have a Dell computer with a Creative Soundblaster sound card. I am using Windows 98, Second Edition. There were no problems with the turntable or the actual process of copying (I used a Playpro pre-amp between the turntable and sound card).

Anyone have any suggestions as to the problem? I'm not looking forward to re-ripping 29 tunes from LPs. Thanks in advance.

--Tom Thompson

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: playback skips and other nicks
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 02:47:39 am »

Is it repeatable?  Meaning is it in the same place in the track every time you play it?

If so, try repeating the encoding with as little else running on the PC as is possible.  Don't use the PC while you're doing it.  Turn off simultaneous rip and encode in MJ.

This is normally not a problem, but you may have something "special" going on.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
Re: playback skips and other nicks
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 11:35:44 am »

There are a few things that could cause this.

1. "Stuttering" could be caused by other programs running in the background. On fast processors, this is not likely to be an issue, but on slower processors (say, 1.5 GHz or less?), it may be an issue. If the stuttering always occurs in exactly the same place, then the problem occurred during encoding, and you will need to re-record the track. If the stuttering does not occur in exactly the same place, then the problem is occurring on playback and the file is probably fine.
2. "Popping" or "Clicking" is most likely caused by either: driver problems or clipping. Driver problems are tough to troubleshoot, but if you just installed new software/hardware, that might point to driver problems as the cause. Try changing MC from "Wave Out" to "DirectSound" and see if that resolves the issue. If so, it may be driver problems. Clipping occurs when the sound level goes too high (loud) for the file to hold it. Part of the wave form is lost and the result is a pop, click, or in very bad cases, maybe even a buzz. If clipping is the problem, the pop/click will always be in the same place in the file, and it will tend to occur at loud parts of the track (e.g. when the bass drum hits or when the singer hits a loud note). You can avoid clipping by turning down the input level either in your recording program or in Windows mixer. You want as loud a level as possible (in order to maximize signal and minimize "hiss"), but not so loud that it clips. In any case, if clipping is your problem, you will need to re-record the track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up