INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bill Gates talks about Media Center  (Read 1162 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

benrad

Re: Bill Gates talks about Media Center
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:03:59 am »

Yeah, I've been surprised that MS hasn't come after J River (or vice versa) over the name of Media Center. They patented 1's and 0's, why not Media Center?   ;)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:19:54 am »

Cos its JRiver Media Center, we just say MC for short.

benrad

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:24:14 am »

Isn't the mere presence of "Media Center" enough to raise the hackles of the Microsoft lawyers?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:04:52 am »

I think the final paragraph is worth re-reading.

""While Microsoft's goal is to turn the PC into a superhub that does everything — plays music, works as a cell phone, stores your photos — they're running up against the fact that most people buy discreet components that do particular things.""

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 10:36:05 am »

I think the final paragraph is worth re-reading.

""While Microsoft's goal is to turn the PC into a superhub that does everything ? plays music, works as a cell phone, stores your photos ? they're running up against the fact that most people buy discreet components that do particular things.""

Applies when you are mobile, at home the shift to audio via computer wasnt hard.

Did i miss the point ?

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 12:28:12 pm »

Applies when you are mobile, at home the shift to audio via computer wasnt hard.

Did i miss the point ?
You have a very limited universe of people who even use a computer. Fewer still who are willing to do what is needed to play music and watch movies/TV via a computer.

There's a reason that Sony, Panasonic, MS, etc are fighting to get their format to be the standard for DVDs. Because DVD players are what people are going to use. Shoot, I can buy a nice DVD player for under US$100. There isn't a media capable computer for 5 times that. And when is the last time I had my stereo crash? Boot my DVD player?

Don't get me wrong. I love my media abilities. But the rest of my family touches a computer once a week or so. I have friends and one sister who don't even own a computer. I actually have to SPEAK with them!

You'll get their stereo, CD and DVD players out of their house in, oh, 20 years or so.

Seems a lot like the flat screen internet stations for the kitchen of a few years back. Techies were astounded that they didn't catch on.

As for all in one apps, well, I tend to believe that each type of data I have has a particular app that excells at manipulating it. Some apps do an 'ok' job at many things. I don't know many that are excellent at several.
Pages: [1]   Go Up