INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renamed files moved to wrong drive  (Read 784 times)

tofer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Renamed files moved to wrong drive
« on: January 19, 2005, 01:35:33 am »

(reposted here at moderators request) 

Is anyone else having this issue?

Files missing when renaming

A couple of weeks ago I made a forum entry about the fact that I had lost about 8,000 files listed in Media Center (about half of my total collection).  I had changed a number of values in the Genre and Album fields, so I did a mass "rename files from properties" to reorganize the files on my hard drive so they would reflect the updated tags. (I use Media Type\Genre\Album on the physical drive.   The next day, 8000 files were missing from the hard drive, although the references to the files were still present in the media library.

Today, I did a similar mass rename (of my backup library).  The files exiisted on my C,D, E, and F drives, so I indexed them all, fixed the tags on several thousand entries, and did a mass rename as described above.   In this case, I specified E:\MusicFiles\MediaType\Album as the target directory, unchecked the rename files box, and ran the process.   

Instead of copying the files to the specified drive, it created a musicfiles folder on C: and moved the files there.   (it looks like that is probably what happened on the previous rename, but as it was done from a separate computer on the network, the files were copied to that computer's C' drive.

I have a dedicated media server, which I access using media center directly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Renamed files moved to wrong drive
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 04:29:09 am »

Sorry, I gave you the wrong link.  Try this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25574.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up