INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network access after Import?  (Read 1416 times)

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
Network access after Import?
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:26:52 pm »

Just a question if anyone else has noticed this...  I imported about 2500 mp3's and when it was done importing MC locked up while downloading something from the internet (I could tell by my network monitor).  Does MC try and download anything after an import?  I don't remember any of the other versions doing this.  If anyone has an idea I'd appreciate it!  Thanks!

phatrabt

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
Re: Network access after Import?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 11:12:59 pm »

Nevermind.  I re-Ghosted the machine and reimported.  MC then started to d-load cover art.  I guess the dialog got caught in the background or something before and I didn't see it. 

phatrabt

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 07:12:15 am »

Just on yesterday I checked and verified that MC does not open any unauthorized connections (there was a thread questioning that). My firewall can show everything.

All opened connections are requested by user defined options or by certain functions in MC that need Internet access by design, e.g. Artist Info or services that can be installed in Service Manager.

MC11 has many new options. In this case the option can be defined here: File > Library > Import Media... > Retrieve album art from internet.

Perhaps it should be the other way round if it is enabled by default.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 08:49:07 am »

I don't *think* there was any suggestion that the connections were unauthorised...

No, not here. I just told what I did on yesterday. It might remove some doubts that others may have.

The info posted in the log extract is pretty simple to gather, but I had a little chuckle because you have no idea how often the question has been asked...

Have to say though, that once again, I agree with you over the default setting for "get coverart after import". I always have it disabled it here.

As it's actually hidden away at the foot of the (by default) hidden advanced area, perhaps it should default to a prompt with a "don't ask again" tickbox when import is finished?

In my opinion "off" could be the default for all Internet access options. It is much nicer to advice people to switch options "on" than answer to spyware questions that come up from time to time.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 09:06:24 am »

In my opinion "off" could be the default for all Internet access options.
That would work fine for advanced users, but it would cause all kinds of problems for novices and even some intermediates.  "Why doesn't your stupid program do .....?  My friend's copy does.  Program X does."

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 09:56:12 am »

Jim is right on this. These issues have many sides.

As a reference we could think about what Microsoft does under the hood without even giving the options. MC is a very nicely behaving piece of software, I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up