INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logo color should change  (Read 2335 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Logo color should change
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:06:29 pm »

This is really only a small thing but...sometimes the small things count the most, and they are easy to do.  Since the default skin for MC is now Thunderstorm, the icon and splash screen for it should really match that skin (rather than matching the older Blue Steel skin).  I don't happen to have an icon editor, but I mocked up a version in Photoshop.  (I should really get an icon editor, if anyone knows of a good, free one I'd be happy to make the .ico file myself - message me).

Anyhow, the splash screen (which I can't fix myself) doesn't match the skin either, which looks odd probably to new users.  Odd and unfinished.  I'd either remove the splash screen entirely or fix it to match the default skin.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
Logo color should change
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:39:57 pm »

This is really only a small thing but...sometimes the small things count the most, and they are easy to do.  Since the default skin for MC is now Thunderstorm, the icon and splash screen for it should really match that skin (rather than matching the older Blue Steel skin).  I don't happen to have an icon editor, but I mocked up a version in Photoshop.  (I should really get an icon editor, if anyone knows of a good, free one I'd be happy to make the .ico file myself - message me).

Anyhow, the splash screen (which I can't fix myself) doesn't match the skin either, which looks odd probably to new users.  Odd and unfinished.  I'd either remove the splash screen entirely or fix it to match the default skin.
Totally agree. It would be great if there was at least one configuration of MC11 where the splash screen, icon, standard skin, mini-skin, track info and theater view all matched. Right now it seems like every mode is a different product.

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Logo color should change
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 06:17:57 am »

IIUC an .ico is just a .bmp renamed .ico. If you right click properties on a few .icos you'll see the details.

Tab

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 08:19:39 pm »

Cool Marko, thanks!  I didn't realize that the Splash could be edited...

I too typically disable splash screens (when I can), and actually had to turn on MC's splash screen to make sure it was still the old style before I posted this initially.  Again, I realize that this is a small thing, but for new users, it doesn't look ... right.  Those of us who know and love MC don't care much if the splash screen is fluorescent green with hot pink polka-dots, but a brand new user could easily be influenced by simple things like this.

For example, I know it's stupid, but I hated the old "Jukebox on a Surfboard".  I downloaded and evaluated MJ a number of times (back in the version 7 days), desperate for a powerful music application, but couldn't get past my hatred of the logo and didn't end up adopting MJ until late in version 8.

First impressions are very, very powerful.  Like so many of us here, I want MC to be successful, and this is one small, simple change that could make a difference for some users.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 02:23:12 am »

...there are some nice replacement icon files around and about somewhere, did you catch those while they were hot? If not, and you're curious, let me know if you would like any help finding them.
They need updating for MC11 but I don't think fretwalker is around anymore.
JLee

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 03:23:59 am »

Actually, I always liked the "jukebox", as that is basically how I use MC. :)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 05:22:25 am »

Nice.  I'd like to try those.
JLee

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 05:38:24 am »

I like that skin too but I can't find a link to it.  Please could you post one or maybe email it to me.

Edit - found it now.  Never thought to look on DL page.
JLee

LonWar

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 07:21:42 am »

Can you post a link to the icons now that you found them?  THanks,

The Logo..

This is a company logo, It wouldn't make sence for it to change color to match the different skins.
-

Neville

• World Citizen
  • I am the black crow king...
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 11:18:49 am »

Simple

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 01:26:25 pm »

Thanks Neville, they are great!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 12:49:20 pm »

The Logo..

This is a company logo, It wouldn't make sence for it to change color to match the different skins.

If a common part of the logo was set for the skin and it was retained
for each skin I reckon it would still make sense :-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 12:50:56 pm »

imjustagamer's correct.  A logo doesn't change.

EpF

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 03:46:35 pm »

imjustagamer's correct. A logo doesn't change.

That is not quite true.  The famous shell logo for Shell Oil was changed constantly, in small ways, to keep it looking fresh and current.  I'm sure there are other examples.

That's not to say that I think JRiver should change the colour of the MC logo; it doesn't even appear in the main program (unless you count the default logo in playing now when nothing is playing).  It's only on the dialogue boxes, and it's not as if it clashes horribly with the thunderstorm skin!  ;)

Since the default skin for MC is now Thunderstorm, the icon and splash screen for it should really match that skin (rather than matching the older Blue Steel skin).
Judging from the colour tones, I don't think the MC logo was designed to match the Blue Steel skin or vice versa...  I could be wrong.

As a version 9+ user of MC, I'd be interested to know if Blue Steel was always the default skin before Thunderstorm, and if not, what was?  I can't even remember -  I used PixOS.  Were there other skins for MC that are no longer used?

modelmaker

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 09:29:44 pm »

When I worked for JVC, the logo colors were often changed, although the primary scheme was Red on white or white on red. But often for promotional schemes other colors were used.

I substituted one of my own photos for the MC Logo(in playing now) and a "no cover art" thumbnail as well. As much as I love MC, I feel the MC logo is rather uninspired, (sorry, J River! :-*).
Jay.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 10:05:41 pm »

Um, just how many hours are you folks spending looking at the app?

When it's playing music minimized, I don't see a thing  ;)

modelmaker

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 10:13:22 pm »

My media machine is just that, a media machine, so I usually run MC with full screen, say , kinda a like a jukebox.... ;)
Jay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up