INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to find ALL tags???  (Read 2739 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
How to find ALL tags???
« on: February 07, 2005, 11:04:39 am »

I've found it interesting that there are so many diff types of tags in my media files (people have used diff plugins of Kings Sparta, aTagger, etc) and there are a LOT of different tags in there ...

Is there a way to determine ALL of the tag types and see what tags I might want to add to my library?

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
Re: How to find ALL tags???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 07:33:19 am »

I've found it interesting that there are so many diff types of tags in my media files (people have used diff plugins of Kings Sparta, aTagger, etc) and there are a LOT of different tags in there ...

Is there a way to determine ALL of the tag types and see what tags I might want to add to my library?

You can. Select the file you want to see the tags and go to the Action Window, click "File Properties" then "File Type Info". You will then be presented with all the tags that are present in the file.

Michel.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 09:28:53 am »

Now, do that for all 47,000 files, and I'll get what I want ;)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 10:27:15 am »

Now, do that for all 47,000 files, and I'll get what I want ;)

Not if you have been consistant in tagging. Then one file will show you all possible tags.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 06:57:52 pm »

Not exactly ... King's plugins only tag files if it FINDS data, so only files WITH cover art, lyrics, top 40 charts, etc will have the tags .. otherwise, not ... also, MY tags are different from YOUR tags ... if we share files (as we do in my environment), people use different tags for different things ... Your situation does not apply to mine.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 09:19:16 pm »

Then how would you know which tags you want in your library anyway?

I'll stick with consistency.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 03:51:05 pm »

Its been four months ... is there perhaps a way to do this yet ?

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 07:54:09 am »

It seems that you are more concerned with the tags that MC supports rather than those that may or may not be present in a particular file.

Just look in tools>options>library and you'll see the list of tags. 

If you use plugins such as King's that may write stuff out to a 'custom' tag King will tell you in his instructions that that will not happen unless you create the custom field in MC beforehand (chart finder is an example of this as it stores chart position/chart name in fields of your choice).

So if you want to see the list of all tags you are currently set up for it's just a case of looking in MC's options as mentioned above.
JLee

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 09:47:08 am »

Good response Marco.  You're probably right.  But, I Will always continue to wonder if there isn't a BETTER way to manage the files I have.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 03:45:29 am »

It's possible if MC could display all tags that are written to the files.

The way it's now, you have to tell MC which tags to expect. If not it just ignores them.

My guess is drsoph i smore concerned about tags that are *written* to the files vs the library only tags that people might have in thier own libraries.

I think this needs to be asked about when v12 gets under way.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 03:54:04 am »

You guys are pretty much right ... what I'm thinking is that people are creating these extra tags like GENRE2, SUBGENRE, ARTISTBIOS, LYRICS2 where they are stuffing data that could be very useful to me.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 01:01:36 pm »

I know there are a number of programs out there solely for Tagging (The Godfather, Tag & Rename, etc). I haven't experimented with any of them, but isn't there one that can simply read tags and show you all that are there?

If there is, let me know .. I've worked with a couple guys on development of their software for tagging in the past, nothing worked for selecting GROUPS of files and displaying all tagged field names ... PLEASE LET ME KNOW if someone finds something like this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up