INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D visis wont run, & 2d studio wont work  (Read 3692 times)

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
3D visis wont run, & 2d studio wont work
« on: February 16, 2005, 03:18:54 pm »

Hi

I just upgraded from MJ8 to MC11 beta, but am having some visi studio probs - and the visi studio is kinda important to me.

2d visi studio: Although I can open teh visi studio, no details will display on the right hand half, so no design/ /editing is possible. The list of components on the left shows up ok, but thats it. Have left right and double clicked everything on the planet, nothing works so far.

3D visis: I got an error message saying it couldnt run the 3d studio - just been trying to recreate it but I cant find the option to select the 3d visis anywhere. Ugh, what am i missing, apart from a few cells?

thanks,
Tab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 3D visis wont run, & 2d studio wont work
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 03:29:42 pm »

Hey Tab.

First off, your visualizations are amazing.  Kudos :)

2d visi studio: Although I can open teh visi studio, no details will display on the right hand half, so no design/ /editing is possible. The list of components on the left shows up ok, but thats it. Have left right and double clicked everything on the planet, nothing works so far.

Make sure you have a new MC 11. (like 11.0.193)  If you have a new version and it still isn't working, post your system info from MC's Help menu here.  Maybe there's an OS issue we can reproduce on our end.

3D visis: I got an error message saying it couldnt run the 3d studio - just been trying to recreate it but I cant find the option to select the 3d visis anywhere. Ugh, what am i missing, apart from a few cells?

You'll need DirectX 9 installed and a video card that can do windowed 3D. (post your video card if you already have DirectX 9)

Best,
-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Tab

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 03:51:48 pm »

Thank you Matt.

Media Center Registered 11.0.193
98 SE
AMD Duron 813 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 54 MB

display propeties, settings, advanced, tweak...

Video card... 32M Creative labs CT6954 with DirectDraw 1.00
Under Direct3D performance capability it says:
use DX5 compatibility mode not ticked
enable fog table emulation is ticked
and more info on Direct3D mipmapping.

This is getting a bit out of my depth, but does that mean the card isnt DX9 compatible?

OK, I dont really know what to do now, maybe you could tell me. If I cant get visi studio working I'lll go back to MJ8.

Thanks, Tab

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 04:07:23 pm »

There's an easy way to post your system info.  Just go to MC Help, then System Info, then paste it here.

Tab

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 04:38:02 pm »

ok, didnt realise you'd need the rest as well.

Media Center Registered 11.0.193 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
AMD Duron 804 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 52 MB
Resource Info: System - 48 %, GDI - 48 %, User - 49 %

Internet Explorer: 5.00.2614.3500 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.80 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.2614.3500 / Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700 / wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D:          RW-241040          Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Hope thats some help. Thanks for your assistance.

Tab

Tab

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 04:57:53 pm »

Huh, I found a folder called DX9 containing dxsetup.exe and other cab files etc... will wait for feedback before running it and seeing what haps.

Tab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 04:58:10 pm »

Did you uninstall MJ8?

MC11 and MJ8 cannot coexist on the same PC. I have found that some Windows registry settings get mixed.

Here is a link to your graphics card driver page. Check that you have the latest:
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

The latest DirectX is here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

EDIT

Install it from Microsoft site if you are not sure about the files you just found. You can use DirectX 9 software with an older card. The card will do only what it can.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 05:12:23 pm »

Could you post a screen capture from the broken Vis Studio interface?

(Put it on your webpage and make the image link here.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 05:36:25 pm »

We can reproduce the 2D vis problem on Win9x.

Look for a fix in a few days.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Tab

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 10:31:41 am »

I'm now dling the driver from creative, nothing is straightforward in life.

I didnt uninstall MJ8 first, as I assumed MC11 was just an upgrade on MJ8. Maybe that was a mistake. Is it worth uninstalling both and reinstalling MC?

Just in case theres any non-clarity, you never know:
http://tabby.i8.com/studioproblem.png

ok, I'll get back when I've dpne somethng with the card driver and DX9.

cheers, Tab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 11:08:28 am »

I didnt uninstall MJ8 first, as I assumed MC11 was just an upgrade on MJ8. Maybe that was a mistake. Is it worth uninstalling both and reinstalling MC?

I think that would be the best. Do you have the programs in separate folders and do you have separate library data folders? Can you run the programs independently? If you need to preserve the library data you should make a MJ/MC library backup in both programs before uninstalling (of course to a separate backup files).

Just in case theres any non-clarity, you never know:
http://tabby.i8.com/studioproblem.png

Interesting picture. I posted some of mine in this thread (the problem was eventually solved): Visualizations make MC freeze

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 11:23:44 am »

By the way, your operator informed that remote linking is forbidden when I clicked the link. I pasted the link address after going to your main page and I could access the picture.

Tab

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 02:27:44 pm »

OK, decision time. MC11 beta is too problematic, its not just the visi problems. I'd like to install MC10 if I may, which should do everything I need. I know now that Tabbys visis work on 11, and you dont need me to do beta testing.

This is against the T&Cs, so I'm requesting written permission from you to install MC10 after using MC11.

Meanwhile I'll uninstall 8 & 11.

Let me know if you want to discuss this further, or if there are issues with this.

Thanks, Tab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 04:02:59 pm »

MC10 is a good program. I had both versions (10&11) installed on my PCs for a while. MC10 for my media library and MC11 for experiencing. I made all permanent library changes in MC10, exported the library and imported it to MC11. However, I noticed that I preferred to use MC11 instead of MC10. It was too much trouble to maintain both versions. Since I didn't experience any major bugs I skipped MC10 completely some time ago. Actually, it is quite likely that future fixes will come only to MC11 and MC10 will be changed only if major new bugs are found.

Your participation would have been welcomed in MC11 beta testing. I do it partly for selfish reasons. Naturally one of my goals is to get it as good as possible for my purposes.

It would be interesting to hear what problems you experienced besides Vis Studio. In my opinion MC11 is already better than MC10 and the current bugs are minor annoyances.

I am not working for JRiver and I can't say anything official about what is allowed, but I don't think there are any limitations for installing MC10. The only thing is that the upgrade licenses are separate. You must buy a new license for MC11 if you like to upgrade after buying the MC10 upgrade.

Though, the prices are very reasonable. I paid for MJ8 Plus, MC10 upgrade and MC11 upgrade.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 05:49:51 pm »

I paid for MJ8 Plus, MC10 upgrade and MC11 upgrade.

FYI

I tried MJ5 Did not like it

Bought MJ6, MJ7, MJ8, MC9, MC10, MC11
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 06:35:57 pm »

I tried MJ7, but wasn't quite satisfied. At that time I used Winamp 2.x with some good plug-ins. The best was EZ-Playlist database plug-in. I still consider it as an excellent piece of software.

After trying MJ8 there was no way back. It was simply better than anything else out there. MC9 was free for those who bought the MJ8 license earlier. I didn't make a voluntary payment for MC9. I wasn't that supportive back then.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up