INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dlink DSM questions....  (Read 2413 times)

Gzydeck

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Dlink DSM questions....
« on: February 28, 2005, 06:10:18 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with the Dlink DSM product??

I'm trying to figure out this whole arena, and this product interests me as it will play WAV files and lots of other formats. I see it listed as a supported device, but have some questions.

I would like to use it to serve music (6,000 WAV files, 1700 artists), Photo's (8,000 pics in about 280 folders), and video (125 15 Minute MPEG's).

For my music, I don't create folders for each artist. I simply keep all the files in a massive folder and use MC to sort the files. I'm hoping the theater view option will allow me to help with the browsing and playlists.

If I use Theater View to play music, will I still be able to access the photo's and video?? Will the browsing be exceedlingly slow? Is the interface friendly??

I'm really ready to pull the trigger and get going on this, but I hate to waste my time if there are lots of problems.

If anyone has any experience or helpful advise, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Gregg

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Dlink DSM questions....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 09:09:45 pm »

It's on my "maybe" list.

Theater View isn't what you want, UPnP Server is. Look for the thread here with UPnP Server in the title.

If you don't want to waste time, I'd suggest waiting a bit. This whole area is pretty new.

j

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:24:56 pm »

My understanding is that by using UPnP server you can link the system to your theater view. I thought I read posts here that alluded to that.

You may be right, it is early to join the party. I've always been an early adapter (CD burning, Digital Camera's, DVD burning, TIVO, etc.), and enjoy new technologies. I've been following these devices for several years now, and think they are getting pretty close.

I am hoping maybe someone here has some real life experience that might be helpful.

Thanks again for any help.

Gregg

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 09:31:24 pm »

My brother recently bought a D-Link DSM320.

He is in Australia.

I am currently in the US (San Diego).

I will be checking out how the DSM-320 works with the UPNP server when I get back home to Aus, but that's not until about April 2nd.

I expect that by the time I get back there and check it out, you'll already be up and running 8-)

Cheers
Rob

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 09:38:12 pm »

UPnP Server provides the same capabilities as Theater View (or pretty close).

Sorry - my confusion - it currently works with UPnP Server.

To answer your other questions: currently devices such as this support playback of music, photos, and videos, but not simultaneously. That is, you can listen to music, or look at pictures, but not both at the same time.

Your method of storing music is perfect for MC's UPnP Server, it uses the power of our database engine. So far, browsing is slower than it should be, and I haven't looked at it to track it down yet.

Videos aren't supported at all yet, photos have limited support, and music has the best support.

You'll find lots of problems, but also lots of fun...

j

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 10:50:19 pm »

John,

Thanks for your response.

What you described is about what I expected.

Can you clear up a couple more questions?

If I use your UPnP server, does this mean I will not be able to play video or photo files while using your front end (theater view)?

Would I have to go back to their server software and their front end to play these files?

Do these questions make sense?

And will I need to upgrade to MC 11 to use the UPnP server??

I've been a loyal user for quite a few years now, and am glad to see you continue to hone the product.

Gregg

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 10:59:58 am »

I don't remember if the DSM photo playback works or not. So for a while you'd have to use their server for that. Video playback for sure will not work for a while.

Both of these are under active development at the moment.

I've been able to run multiple servers side by side with some devices, other devices don't handle them yet.

Yes, MC11 is required for this.

j

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 11:44:36 am »

John,

Thanks again.

I am going to order the unit today. For the price, I figure it's not too much of a risk.

I'll report back as to what I find.  Should be interesting I'm sure.

Gregg

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 03:25:16 pm »

Gregg,

I'm looking at getting a DSM-320 as well.

I'd be very interested in your findings, especially the display of photos and how reliable the wireless audio steaming is.

My Stereo is upstairs from my server so my wireless signal strength only sits at arounnd 55% and I can't run a cable to the location easily.

Using MC11 Library server takes 2 miinutes to start playing a song (27MB WMA lossless) over the link so is thus unusable so I'm hoping a DSM-320 will be OK.

Currently use  squeezebox and this is playing the WMA files OK but I want more than the squeezebox will do (TV connection/photos etc.).

Cheers
Richard

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 03:31:49 pm »

The code to transfer data is very similar between UPnP Server and Library Server.

Have you tried APE format? It sounds like WMA Lossless requires reading the entire file before it begins playing. Other formats don't have this drawback. Or you can convert everything to MP3 (and soon, to any format you'd like).

j

twentworth22

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 05:25:21 pm »

Gregg,

I'd be very interested in your findings, especially the display of photos and how reliable the wireless audio steaming is.

Well, the wireless connection is poor.  There is a known problem with the wireless antenna that requires you to actually open up the box to fix (http://p214.ezboard.com/fdsm320frm14.showMessage?topicID=2.topic)

My suggestion would be to stay away.  I haven't gotten anything but simple audio files to work, and the latest firmware upgrade (1.05) broke MediaCenter.  I have yet to be able to make any video files work reliably.  Even with a 60+ wireless connection, my videos won't play or will lose audio sync.

The concept of the box is great, just poor execution.

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 07:44:09 pm »

My home is wired and my network is very stable, so I won't be much help for those intending to use wireless.

I've read countless pro's and con's, and won't really know until I give it a workout. It should be a pretty good test, as I have a fairly good amount of media to toy with. 

I ordered the unit today. As soon as I get a chance to get it setup, I'll report back as to what I find.

I'm hoping for the best, but won't be surprised if I start pounding my head against the wall this weekend.

Gregg

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 08:42:17 pm »

John,

The Slimserver that comes with the squeezebox streams the WMA files to the squeezebox as either MP3 (lossey) or WAV (lossless).

I don't get any noticeable delay using the squeezebox, so am hoping to achieve the same with either a uPnP device or a remote MC11 using the Library Server.

I'm not sure how uPnP works, but would it be possible with either library server or uPnP server to stream the audio to the remote MC11/uPnP device as a WAV and have the remote client play the stream  rather than sending the entire file to the remote client before playback starts?

Cheers
Richard

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 12:04:41 am »

Hi Richard,

Some formats require reading of the whole file to get information stored at the end. WMA Lossless may be one of these.

Have you tried converting the WMA to MP3 on the fly with UPnP Server? Does that fix the problem? Converting to WAV currently probably doesn't work, but will soon as well...

So: yes, if the problem is that the entire WMA file needs to be read, yes that can be fixed (even with the current version).

j

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 03:32:20 am »

Thanks John,

I currently don't have a uPnP client I can test this with.

I only have my Squeezebox and a wireless laptop that I can connect to the stereo.

Is there a uPnP Windows "client" available that you know of?

Cheers
R

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 10:44:41 am »

Hi RIchard,

Sorry - I get confused. On your Media Center client to Library Server, click Tools->Options and then Library.
You'll see a section for converting on the fly, choose MP3 or APE just to see if it fixes the problem.

Let me know...

j

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 03:46:43 pm »

Thanks John,

Using MC 11.0.201 the conversion for the libraryserver does not appear to be working (I believe it's a know bug).

I guess I'll wait for the next build as see if it fixes it.

Cheers
R
Pages: [1]   Go Up