INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain & DSP Question  (Read 796 times)

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
Replay Gain & DSP Question
« on: February 21, 2005, 01:45:29 pm »

Hi--

I just upgraded my sound card to an Emu 0404 from the old Stereo-Link USB device that replaced the original SB Audigy card a couple of years ago.

The Emu is a HUGE improvement. The music has a new vitality, clarity, defininition, emotion--I could go on and on.

In the process of changing over an audiophile friend who is very knowledgeable about computer sourced audio--though not familiar with JRiver MC (Fooboo guy)--suggested I should turn off Replay Gain since activating it triggered the whole DSP thing.

He contends DSP is an obstruction in the signal path. He advocates the fewest possible detours in getting the sound to the speakers/headphones. Keep the signal pure.

I've tried playback with Replay Gain on and off with MC in the new ASIO mode supported by Emu. The volume drop with Replay Gain on seems excessive. Virtually cuts the volume in half.

Am I missing something here? What are the views on replay gain in conjunction with ASIO?

Thanks for feedback...
bc

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replay Gain & DSP Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 05:59:14 am »

There was an in-depth discussion on this topic about a year ago, you could try a search.

If I remember correctly, Replay Gain only effects the volume levels of tracks relative to the quietest track that has been analyzed. And it does not change the file in any way, this data is stored in the database not the file.

IN DSP Studio you can set Replay Gain to Automatic based on playlist, which is about -10db, which would be  the  reason for the lower volume level. This is the setting I use when playing from a playlist, (so as not to get speaker-blowing surprises). If I am playing albums I turn RG off.

You can set it to Fixed and put in your own adjustment.

There are others here who can speak to this in more detail
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up