INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musepack MPC To Go Open Source Soon(?)  (Read 2659 times)

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
Made in Portugal

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: Musepack MPC To Go Open Source Soon(?)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 12:20:46 pm »

Sounds good indeed. Thanks for the news Chicoself.

Listening to: 'The Healer' from 'The Essential Santana' by 'Santana' on Media Jukebox
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 12:28:12 pm »

You're welcome :)
Made in Portugal

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 12:34:56 pm »

I do not understand the importance of such news.
Can you  tell me about?

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 01:10:47 pm »

It's just one of the Great lossy formats goes open-source like OGG the patent will finish in a year i think, i heard that Real was going to buy MPC but it won't. OGG is better spread over the net and you know that MPC is better tuned to high bitrates going to open-source don't mean almost nothing to me but it will call new users to use this format. i prefer 1 OGG than 5 WMA or MP3 not only sound's better and don't have that "#$%& DRM (WMA) and software developers don't have to pay to have the Encoder and Decoder license
Made in Portugal

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 01:20:42 pm »

Quote Dibrom from hydrogenaudio
( HA Founder/Coordinator )

Personally, I'm interested in seeing MPC go Open because it will help to legitimize the format in the eyes of many people. There are quite a few people out there right now (largely in the Vorbis camp I believe) which view MPC as more of a "toy" format, or as a novelty and not a whole lot more. By going Open, MPC will appear to be more serious. Not only that, but by drawing more attention to the format, people will also be more exposed to a very high quality encoding methodology. People might even learn a thing or two, and perhaps that can rub off on other encoding projects.

I also doubt that MPC going Open will mean much for quality improvements of the format. I doubt there are many people who have the knowledge, experience, time, and interest to really improve the psymodel much. If you look at both LAME and Ogg Vorbis, out of all the developers, there's usually only one or two that actually work a lot on the psymodel. I do think we might see a lot of portability enhancements though, new features, and maybe even some speed improvements.

Link to were this text is
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?s=4e4eeea46fa01b8882d2d4a8cd0e9c0d&act=ST&f=2&t=3999&st=25
Made in Portugal

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 01:23:53 pm »

I know about the quality.Only did not  understand why it was such a breaking news.

Since long i ask for a OGG versus MPC concerning long songs [ 10 minutes +] and live  music.
Look like the MPC heads have better to do...n'est ce pas CMagic?

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2002, 01:30:19 pm »

The other problem with OGG is the pre-echo, i can't hear nothing but many people complains about that, it seems that MPC is better tuned for that... i'm waiting to see what Frank will make with the format
Made in Portugal

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2002, 01:35:56 pm »

Yep...

Listening to: 'Ventilator Blues' from 'Exile On Main Street' by 'Rolling Stones' on Media Jukebox
(mpc encoded)

Don't really know why I come to use both APE and MPC ?

I started with MP3 only a while back and also tried ogg.
concerning mpc I was really impressed by the quality of course (thought at 200 kbps it's hard to tell
between ogg / mp3 / mpc especially when you're pouring your third glass of J.D. !)
I was also really impressed by the speed of encoding. mpc encoder is very fast.
it encodes between x7 and x9 for --xtreme on my machine (Athlon 1.3 Ghz)

The other thing that convinced me (against mp3) was the gapless encoding. Very useful for
live music. no click or pop between gapless tracks.
not much to say though.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2002, 01:43:20 pm »

The only problem to me with MPC is that cover art is not save into the file but in a separate link, but are also people that don't recommend cover art in files, nothing beats APE though. :)
Made in Portugal

zevele10

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2002, 01:59:05 pm »

How i see it:
I am sure that one is better for this ,one is better at this kp's rate and so on.
But i do not understand why there is not any improvement concerning mp3 since long.Well you cannot call mp3 pro an improvement .But look like mp3 is stuck at his level of quality[?] since long

I understand to have many formats on his computer as long you do not need to share-i mean making a cd to friends,family,not using Hillary program- and you do not have any player.

It is he problem with APE.Do i really care to have APE if i have the cd? What can i do with APE ? I just play it on my computer.If i want to save it the less than half size is not sure [ this concerning all lossless format,not only APE],so i cannot save 2 cds on one.And if i can ,i have nothing to play it.

Because of it many  keep MP3.Me the first.
To have OGG is a start.If players ,streams out soon ,it can lead to a very interesting thing:

Media Jukebox  free= free
Media Jukebox plus full=xxx $
Media Jukebox plus less mp3 =xx$

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2002, 02:00:33 pm »

>>The other problem with OGG is the pre-echo, i can't hear nothing but many people complains about that

The example I always see referenced to the "pre-echo" problem in Ogg is a file called "Castinettes" (aren't they the hollow, gourd like objects with handles and seeds that bang around the inside?). 3 to 4 minutes of that would be as excruciating as Zamfir doing Led's "Communication Breakdown" on the pan flute. Not "real" music.

Not to downplay the echo problem, but the magnitude of problem has been exaggerated to the max. All lossy formats (including MPC) pre-echo a bit, but on real (dynamic) music it is unnoticeable.

Xenno

Listening to: Zamfir - "Communication Breakdown"

zevele10

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2002, 02:22:22 pm »

Castagnettes
It is spanish.To pieces of wood more or less the shade of  sea shell.You hang it in your hands and make a beat by openingclosing your hand fast.
You find it in flamenco music and  Santa Esmeralda records

I wonder about  Led Zamfir

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2002, 02:38:43 pm »

Castagnettes >> Two pieces of wood more or less the shape of a sea shell

>>hollow, gourd like objects with handles and seeds that bang around the inside?

Are these Moracca's?

To all:
Love Flamenco, wasn't slamming castagnettes. Merely meant that it is a largely mono-frequency instrument, and thus, is good for finding pre-echo and eliminating it (in the encoder), but is not a good benchmark for real music.

Xenno

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2002, 02:44:46 pm »

Castagnettes >> Two pieces of wood more or less the shape of a sea shell

>>hollow, gourd like objects with handles and seeds that bang around the inside?

Are these Moracca's?

In my country (Portugal) we call them maracas but it's not difused here, Castagnettes were bring to Portugal many years ago, there are records of Castagnettes in some regions of my country on traditional music ( Folk )
Made in Portugal

zevele10

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2002, 02:48:27 pm »

Maracas or marracas..As in the song 'sympathy for the devil' by the not anymore Rolling Stones.
Do not know about mono,but in fact the sound of castagnettes is not dry.There is a kind of echoe who is lost in the next sound of the next clap.
The castagnettes are not flat.
Look like they are good for testing.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2002, 02:55:19 pm »

I have what we call hears of rock i don't know the difference btw MP3 @ 192 or OGG @ ~160 or APE, i can't tell the difference, dawn that car stereo AMP
Made in Portugal
Pages: [1]   Go Up