INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless music network dreams.....  (Read 1603 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
wireless music network dreams.....
« on: March 23, 2005, 02:34:52 pm »

i am exploring ways of controlling my music collection around the house, using MC of course.  i have a vision of a touch screen wall mounted monitor in the living room, which would somehow be connected to my main computer, from where i could control MC and view cover art/other art in full screen mode once i had set up my playlist.  as it would just be a monitor this would clearly need to be wired up either to the main pc or some other pc on the network (unless there is such a thing as a wireless monitor?? with 20" TFT, 1 cm thick, a real bargain at £200,....ok, now i am dreaming.........)

for other rooms in the house i would be content either with using NetRemote on my PPC, with some means of switching between different speaker systems in the house.  is there an alternative here though?  perhaps a controller linked up to an amp/speakers that was wirelessly connected to the network so that i could scroll through my music collection (i am thinking of some alternative to a monitor).

it would be interesting to hear about how other people have set up there home music network and what people think of my ideas/dreams......

best wishes

nick

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
Re: wireless music network dreams.....
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 04:39:15 am »

are there no visionaries out there? ;D

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 05:00:59 am »

Talk to Mastiff ;)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 05:01:43 am »

I asked people what the response was like with wireless netwroks but got no replies.

Someone posted earlier how well ethernet over powerline worked, response being close to instant.

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 05:10:53 am »

Someone posted earlier how well ethernet over powerline worked, response being close to instant.

That someone was me. I tried wireless in various constellations but I have never happy with the delay when starting a track and overall performance. I even went with three Linksys WRT54GS in Alchemy enabled WDS modus. However, a solid Central European house has lots of concrete walls that are not easily penetrated. I recently discovered Homeplug which will soon go up to 85Mbit. The 14 Mbit standard is fine for audio already. I tried Netgear and Devolo but found the Devolos slightly superior in throughput (although both use the same chipset).

pank2002

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 06:48:24 am »

I just want a network hard drive with build in printer server, as I reach my pictures, documents and music from the laptop without the stationary being turned on. Does anybody now a good network hard drive? 80 gb or so would be perfect.
  Also, I guess a tivo would be cool to have, but again it a question of finance and priorities.

As a dreamer I would like to be able to reach my files from everywhere with all gadgets... or maybe just some universal gadget -- the one that handle it all...
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 08:06:22 am »

Wireless is a mess for audio - let alone video - stremaing. Try out Powerline, ie LAN through the mains cables. Much more stable and soon really fast equipment out from Corinex (up to 200mbps)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 10:03:30 am »

I have a Netgear MP101 in the basement, the music server on the first floor, and my 802.11b wireless on the
second floor, and it's working fine. The music server on the first floor also drives the first floor stereo (which
I can hear in the office on the second floor). I'm enjoying it a lot...

j

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 10:20:34 am »

The wireless "experience" varies greatly from access point to access point, and to a lesser extent from WLAN card to WLAN card. I have good results with D-Link 624 (not the + version, that's hopeless). 3Com are pretty good as well. I tried Linksys and Trend, but they were hopeless.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up