INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 Media server won't open  (Read 2470 times)

Keith Frank

• Recent member
MC 11 Media server won't open
« on: March 27, 2005, 01:58:41 pm »

I've just installed the most recent build of MC 11 and now when I launch the "Media Server" the Icon shows up in the systray but the media server window doesn't open so I cant set it to share or change the port. any Ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 11 Media server won't open
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 02:02:22 pm »

Please see MC11 instructions on Library Server:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26630.0

Keith Frank

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:58:36 pm »

Thanks! server is up and running. One other question. I've now installed MC 11 on both my Client and Server PC.  when I try to start MC on my Client PC It says it needs to upgrade my library or it cannot start MC 11... is this necessary? It is taking Forever... I've got 18,000 file and its doing this over the internet.  Why didn't my Server need to "upgrade my library"? as soon as I installed MC 11 it was ready to play!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 03:17:28 pm »

Both client and server need to be the same version.  You could probably set up a small library just for that purpose if you needed to.  Updating would be fast if you ran MC on the same PC.

Keith Frank

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 04:09:47 pm »

Sorry.. maybe I'm not being clear.  I am running MC11 on both client and server.  When I installed on my server it didn't ask to update my library. but when I upgraded the client when I launch MC11 it says it needs to update the library before it can run MC 11.  How can I do what you suggeted (set up a small library) on the client if it won't let me launch the app without going through updating the library?  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 04:14:18 pm »

I can't tell exactly what you're doing, but when you install MC11, it will convert the default MC10 library it finds.  This may or may not be the one you're sharing with Library Server, but you've got to convert that one, too.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 04:20:30 pm »

Do have another older library on your client PC? An MC client is always read-only and cannot update the server library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Keith Frank

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 04:24:32 pm »

I chose not to delete my MC 10 install (just in case). So I'm uninstalling MC 11 and where should I look to remove any the old MC 10 libraries. and then I'll reinstall MC 11.   

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 04:31:35 pm »

Just give a new different location (e.g. C:\MC11lib\) for the MC11 library if you like to keep your old MC10 library. MC will make a new empty library there.

I don't know if you can access that without unistalling and reinstalling MC11.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Keith Frank

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 04:43:39 pm »

Thanks I'll give it a try

Keith Frank

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 04:58:55 pm »

Ok... I seem to be mising something. I've uninstalled MC 11. now where can I find my old Libraries for MC 10 so I can delete them(I don't need them). When I 've gone through this process before, the MC 11 install doesn't ask anyhting about using an an old library it just starts upgrading ... So I guess what I need to know is where do the library files live and can I go in and manually delete them?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 05:07:56 pm »

I have always used a custom location, but I think they are by default in a subfolder of the "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\" folder.

Keith Frank

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 05:10:30 pm »

thanks do you know the extension?  could it be the "mediaFiles.jmd" file?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 05:16:47 pm »

I don't have MC10 installed on the PC I am using now, but if I remember correctly MC10 used one big .jmd file. You could delete everything under J River if you like to make a clean install of MC11.

EDIT

Did you run MC10 uninstaller? You should do it first.

Keith Frank

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 05:22:57 pm »

I didn't Run MC10 uninstaller... I was hoping to keep it if MC 11 didn't work out. But I'll give it try and see If that works... and Thanks for the help Alex!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2005, 05:35:34 pm »

If you have any library data in your local library that you would like to keep make a library backup before uninstalling MC10. Store the backup file in a safe place. You can restore the backup to MC11 (and of course to MC10 if needed).

File > Library > Backup Library...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 06:00:13 pm »

Just in case that somebody doesn't know this, the actual media files (mp3 etc.) are not included in the MC library backup. They need to be backed up separately. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up