INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Browsing with MC Tree changes the file dates  (Read 1576 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Browsing with MC Tree changes the file dates
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:20:21 pm »

This is an obvious bug, but it's not specific to this build (It existed in 228 and most likely earlier.)
This may also provoke some discussion. So I'll follow the trend and start a new thread.

I noticed the bug when I browsed some image folders with MC tree > Drives & Devices > My Computer. After browsing some of the files had the dates changed to the current date.

As a test I made a screenshot of a folder that had very old files:

I started MC 11.0.230 and went directly to My Computer and browsed to that folder. I clicked once the folder tab and MC updated the view. I closed MC.

I went back to Windows Explorer and made this screenshot of the same folder:

The bug may be related to the original date. In one folder two files from early 2002 were given the current date, but newer files from 2004-2005 were intact. In another folder all files from November 1st, 2002 got new dates, but single file from December 13th, 2002 didn't change.

This bug may have something to do with the import/external changes problems that some users are experiencing.

Media Center Registered 11.0.230 -- C:\Soft\MC\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2831 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 503 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1612 (xpsp2.041207-1145) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1613 (xpsp2.041130-1838) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive F: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4480B  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:10  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Browsing with MC Tree changes the file dates
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 04:40:24 pm »

I can't reproduce this.  Can anyone else?  Is there any rhyme or reason you can find? 

Does it only happen on shutdown?  Are there any 3rd party plugins running?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 04:42:16 pm »

Virus?  Anti-virus?  Any clever file management software running?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 05:23:02 pm »

I tried it again. It happens at the same instant when I click the folder tab in MC tree and MC updates the view. It doesn't matter if MC was closed or running before or after. The files are not imported to MC - most of the file formats are unsupported.

The virus scanner is AntiVir. I don't think it has anything to do with it, but I will try without it. Nothing else running.

I'll try to find something more, because you can't reproduce it. How about Locale settings? Could a different date/time format make a difference?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 06:47:26 pm »

I noticed one thing more: it doesn't change the dates in files that are in supported file format, like music files and supported image types. For example, the images that got changed dates were in Olympus Raw format (ORF). The only image that kept the original date was converted to TIFF format.

Here's the old HP printer driver folder I used in testing. Could you try it?  PSdrv_win2k_nt.zip  (217 KB)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 05:44:25 am »

Thanks marko!

More findings (now on 11.0.231):

MC changes the dates only at the first encounter.

I made half of the files in a folder read-only. Naturally MC could change only the unlocked files. I removed the read-only attributes behind MC's back and browsed the folder again. The now unlocked files files kept their original dates.

I renamed the folder outside MC and after that browsed it with MC. Now MC changed all dates including the dates that were already changed a moment ago.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 08:49:20 am »

I compared some of the files with a compare tool and visually with a hex editor. The contents were unaltered. MC changed only the "Modified" dates in the NTFS file system.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 09:21:47 am »

Matt found the problem.  Should be fixed in the next build.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 05:10:59 pm »

I tested this with 11.0.232, seems to be OK now.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up