INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.264 Release Candidate  (Read 5103 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.264 Release Candidate
« on: May 11, 2005, 05:54:10 pm »

We're just about ready to release Media Center 11.0.  We appreciate your bug reports.  PRICES are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311  Please post bugs you're sure about here.  Post anything else in a new thread with a subject like "MC11 problem with ..." or "MC11 question about ....".    Feature requests should be postponed until we've finished 11.0. 

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110264.exe

11.0.264 (5/11/05)

1. NEW: Import / update library runs in the background so MC can be used for other tasks while it is running.
2. Changed: Library Manager > Library Properties dialog browse defaults to a more logical directory. (instead of the root of My Computer)
3. Changed: Updated all folder browsing dialogs to use the latest browsing system available in the OS.
4. Fixed: Some tooltips were still using system colors instead of skin colors.
5. Changed: Move / Copy disk files broken into two separate menu commands.
6. NEW: When Logitech iTouch is installed, MC will automatically integrate into it. (may require latest iTouch to be installed)
7. NEW: MC responds to multimedia app commands from remotes, non-standard keyboards, etc. (like v10 did, but maintains v11's superior handling with standard keyboards)
8. Fixed: Closing the program with File > Exit could cause problems in some cases.
9. Fixed: In "Customize Current View" the edit / remove column buttons would always operate on the first list item.
10. Fixed: When switching between some playback types (ex. Shockwave to Real Audio), the display would not always update properly.
11. Fixed: Portable drives that appear as fixed drives will detect device arrival and removal from MC.
12. Fixed: TV time-shifting could behave badly under some circumstances, for devices using MPEG-2 format.
13. Changed: After file deletion on WMDM devices, devices will clean up any empty Artist or Album objects.
14. Changed: The uninstall program does a more thorough job of removing files and registry entries and no longer requires a restart of Windows to do so.
15. Fixed: Multi-session data CD's burned with MC could appear to be missing files in some cases. The data was there but the OS couldn't see it.
16. Fixed: When changing the folder scheme for burning data CD's, unless the queued files were displayed, the change would not take effect on the first burn.
17. Fixed: Library Server was ignoring requested codec, instead using it's own default codec.
18. Changed: Improved shutdown, load library, and clear library logic so they won't be allowed while a tool is running. (import, rip, burn, etc.)

11.0.263 (5/10/05)

1. Fixed: Skin components could draw incorrectly in some cases. (introduced in 262)
2. Changed: In-place edit in Media Library panes now uses an auto-complete combobox.
3. Changed: Tooltips use skin coloring instead of system coloring.
4. Changed: Tooltips wrap long text to multiple lines.
5. NEW: Media Center adaptively selects the amount of pre-buffering based on the speed of the source. (improves performance with network / slow drives)
6. Fixed: URLs in web view headers were not readable with the Aruba skin.
7. Fixed: Starting a movie (or switching to a new movie) could cause a dead-lock in some cases.
8. Changed: Added improved playback logging to DirectX playback engine.
9. Fixed: When drag and dropping files on the Portable Action Window, if the same file was added more than once, MC would warn of 'Duplicates'.
10. Changed: When files fail to convert when transferring to a Portable, an information dialogue will alert users to this failure.
11. Fixed: Uninstall program was invoking Media Center application during the uninstall process.
12. Changed: Expanding the "Drives & Devices" tree node could be quite slow on some systems.
13. Fixed: When launching a program from Theater View, MC would not properly minimize and restore.
14. Fixed: Clicking "Print File List" in the Action Window could switch the Action Window to the device connected screen.
15. Fixed: Playback of files on iPod from within MC.

11.0.262 (5/9/05)

1. Fixed: When ripping from two or more CD drives, when one CD finished and a new one was inserted, both CD's restarted at the first track.
2. Fixed: The install wizard could fail to run on some machines.
3. Fixed: Some skin items could be incorrectly drawn with a slight amount of transparency.
4. Fixed: Mini View position text and sliders would not update properly during playback.
5. Fixed: In some cases, pressing a disabled "List Style" toolbar button could still switch the list's style.
6. Changed: Log files are now created in the Media Center sub-directory. (ex. C:\Documents & Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\JRiver\Media Center 11\Log.txt)
7. Changed: Handheld views show a picture of a generic handheld. (instead of a specific, possibly wrong handheld)
8. Fixed: Media Center could crash after restoring a library backup.
9. Fixed: Sorting file lists could be slower than expected in some cases.
10. Fixed: Artist Info searches wouldn't work as expected for artist names with spaces in them.
11. Fixed: Customize Current View > Column List would not always work properly.
12. Fixed: Additional Roku autodetection.
13. Fixed: UPnP Settings for Allow Visual and Filter International Characters sometimes didn't work.
14. Fixed: Media Center could import broken links from playlists in some cases.
15. Fixed: "Cancel" during an import would not stop until newly found files were added. (now stops right away)
16. Changed: Added "View complete log" link back to the import summary dialog.
17. Fixed: WAV files didn't play on Roku because of incorrect MIME type.
18. FIxed: Several dropdown box sizes.
19. Changed: Updated uninstall program to remove more installation artifacts left by current uninstall program.
20. Fixed: Uninstall would crash when unregistering server_tivo.dll and server_upnp.dll on Windows 98SE.

MC 11 Improvements

CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
Many Theater View enhancements
Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
Added multi-zone synchronization
Added Album Gain support
Document support with full text searching / indexing
Pane auto-sizing
Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
Basic image editing
Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
Video CD playback support
Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
ATI HDTV card support
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 support
UPnP device support
Audible.com Store -- full integration (downloads, playback, bookmarks, etc.)
Sony PSP support
iPod -- Support for multiple iPods with different profiles
New file format -- Shockwave (SWF)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

matshif

Re: Media Center 11.0.264 Release Candidate
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 07:32:03 pm »

This one was gone in the last two builds but is back in .264

MC could fail to copy JROptionsHelper.dll when setup finalized after a reboot.

JMF

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:08:39 pm »

8. Fixed: Closing the program with File > Exit could cause problems in some cases.

This has been fixed! Thanks a bunch! MC 11 is now perfect once again.  :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:40:24 pm »

I really don't think this is related to MC at all, but I thought I would mention it.  I just installed .264 and rebooted the machine (as it required), and couldn't get the machine to come back up.  I was getting a BSOD (STOP - Page Fault in Non-Paged Area - 0x00000050).   >:(

Now, just before I installed .264, I had been trying to recover the password on an old RAR file of mine (which I dumbly forgot the password on) using a tool I found online.  The tool crashed, end tasking didn't work, and I was forced to "End the Process Tree" on it multiple times to get the program to close.  I think it was this that caused the error, but... 

I actually couldn't get the computer to boot up AT ALL with the system drive connected (not to Recovery Console, not to Windows Install Disc, not to BartPE boot disc, not to Western Digital Diagnostic Tools floppy, nothing).  If the drive (which was the system drive at the time) was connected at all I got either a hard lock or the BSOD.   :'(  I ended up having to nuke the disk in a Mac (thank you OSX) and then the computer would boot with it connected.  Something really hosed the system disk (though OSX didn't seem to mind -- I could read it just fine).  Luckily, I had a spare Windows-installed bootable drive and a Ghost Image from the system only 2 1/2 weeks old, so no huge deal....  Definately not what I wanted to do tonight.

Either way, I will try (after the re-image completes) to re-upgrade to .264 and (I'm sure) post back to say everything was okay.  Just in case though, I wanted to mention it while everything is still fresh in the old mind.

Confirmed, not MC.  See below.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

imitation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 09:49:00 pm »

7. NEW: MC responds to multimedia app commands from remotes, non-standard keyboards, etc. (like v10 did, but maintains v11's superior handling with standard keyboards)

My keyboard works again ;D
Now I have to reinstall my remote wonder and see if that's back, big thanks.

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 10:12:10 pm »

NEW: When Logitech iTouch is installed, MC will automatically integrate into it. (may require latest iTouch to be installed)

What a nice surprise - wasn't even expecting this one!  MC doesn't even have to have the focus for this to work. You've made my day!  Many thanks!!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 10:13:28 pm »

Okay.  Imaging done and re-upgraded to .264, rebooted (even though it didn't need to this time) and as I suspected, everything was fine.  If anyone needs to get the password on a RAR, just give up, it's way easier.   :P  No need to fear MC.

On a happier note, .264 looks great!  My keyboard and Remote Wonder are working!!!  Woohoo!  One thing though (and I'm sure this was just overlooked) ... They still don't work when MC is in Full Screen Mode (which is when I most want them to work).  Fixable, I hope.   ;D

Otherwise, it's looking great!  I love the new "Action Window" import process.  Much slicker!  Keep up the great work.

Ach ... What a day!   ::)

modelmaker

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 10:56:05 pm »

You guys are getting close, but no cigar, yet! ;D

ATI RW is working somewhat; player controls work in standard view ONLY. Volume control does not work in any view. :(

I love the new Theatre View! And the line wrap in the tooltip! :)

I'm almost ready to uninstall v10. Keep at it! ;)

Listening to: 'The Deserter-Medley (Lark In The Morning, Rakish Paddy, Foxhunter's Jig, Toss The Feathers)' from 'Liege & Lief' by 'Fairport Convention' on Media Center 11

Media Center Registered 11.0.264 -- C:\Program Files\J River MC 11\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1653 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 309 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1612 (xpsp2.041207-1145) / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3900.7032 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:48:36 pm »

ATI RW is working somewhat; player controls work in standard view ONLY. Volume control does not work in any view. :(

I just noticed that I lost Volume Control in MC with the remote as well.  This worked with the last build (and every previous build that I can remember).

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 01:44:26 am »

Builds 262, 263 and now 264 have all required a re-boot before MC was fully installed on my PC - this used to be an occasional thing. Is this meant to happen all the time?

John.

matshif

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 02:55:13 am »

Builds 262, 263 and now 264 have all required a re-boot before MC was fully installed on my PC - this used to be an occasional thing. Is this meant to happen all the time?

John.

JimH wrote about this in thread "Just Curious ...Windows restarting after an install"

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27589.0

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 03:12:19 am »

The Statistics -> Overview window paints weird drawing artifacts when dragging a column heading divider to the right (expanding a column's size).

As you drag a column heading divider in this screen, the bottom empty row shows an artifact of where the column's divider bar 'used' to be.  When you let up on the mouse button, the artifact go away.  I noticed this in more than one skin.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 03:19:59 am »

The bottom, right corner of Browse For Folder... dialogs are not skinned and show as a system color grey square box with those diagonal 'gripper' lines in it.

Other OS (generic) dialogs may observe this same behaviour (I did not test them all).  I did test with a few skins (Aruba, Thunderstom, Opus Blue).

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 03:38:18 am »

And with the last showstopper fixed, you just got yourselves another upgrade customer (I upgraded my license 30 minutes ago).  Without this I would probably have stayed with MC10.  I just can't go back to having to switch to MC every time I want to switch songs...

Omni

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 03:55:39 am »

Just a nitpick, but moving the mouse pointer (i.e., its hotspot) anywhere on the top halves of the min/max/exit buttons (top, right corner) changes mouse cursor to the resize cursor.  I tested this on both the Aruba skin and the Thunderstorm skin.

Also, even though they change to the resize cursor, you can't actually resize the window if done from that point. ;)

Omni

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 04:17:36 am »

I don't know if this is one of those "by design" things, but the Library Browser does not seem to work with all fonts.

With my previous (and I think what is MC's default) Tahoma/Regular/10pt font:

And with my new "Comic Sans MS"/Regular/10pt font:

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 04:21:50 am »

No skinned colors being used for Playlists' context window in the top info portion where Playlist Name and Notes are displayed.

The Playlist Name shows up in RED and the Notes area shows up in BROWN.  No matter what skin you are using, these are the colors used.  I think this just started with this release as I never noticed the color mismatch (with skin themes - try Thunderstorm and it's very hard to even read).  I think Drives & Devices is showing the same mismatched colors as well (not skinned).

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 04:59:06 am »

Real media will not play in Media Center now (it used to as of 11.0.25x at least). I get a dialog from the Real plugins that starts "cannot determine the version of Real Networks....". This for file that are already in the library. Real media files that aren't in the Library do not show as importable files.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 06:56:03 am »

With Action Windows > File Properties > Image active (displayed), when you right click on any track or thumbnail in the context window MC cancels the right-click menu popup if Image needs to draw/dispaly an image (album cover).

This is annoying behaviour.  This does not happen if the correct image is already displayed. As is, you always have to right-click twice when the Image window wants to display the album cover art.  Try browsing the full Media Library and right-clicking on any track with Image enabled (assuming you have cover art tied to all your albums/tracks).

JONCAT

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 07:32:56 am »

1. When MC ignores articles you can not use keyboard letter shorctus to navigate to the letter T or A directly. It would great it if T would jump to the "actual" T's and not the various The.... XXXXX

For A we can use the HOME key.

Also, once you choose a letter you can not select another letter. You have to select a different field with the mouse or use the keybaord to jump to the left or right pane, upon which you lose your place.

It's a pain for using the keyboard only in Theatre View.

------------------------------

2. My post on the YADB strangeness has not been addressed in two builds; I think it is somewhat important if this feature is to be part of the foundation to attract users. I had an album which was in YADB but I could not select more than 2 tracks at a time; if I did, none were found.

--------------------------------

3. When a file is moved out of it's folder MC correctly states it is not available. The file is replaced and then MC is told to Import/Repair. MC will not repair those broken links, even though the tracks now reside in the correct location. It will play them, but still shows the red X.
This build is really smooth and snappy otherwise, thanks!
JC

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 09:54:53 am »

Bug or Feature?

Not sure when this started.

Using the search window I enter what I want and it works fine. the first time.

but if I clear it and enter something new it only searches what was there. not the full listing.  Must be a new feature.  What do I do to make it work the OLD way?

There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

Shelly

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 10:47:11 am »

5. Changed: Move / Copy disk files broken into two separate menu commands

I like that you've separated the functions, however, it used to be that when move/copy was selected, the tree in the dialog box would be expanded, showing all subfolders in "My Music" folder.  Now the tree in the dialog box only shows the previous folder to which files were moved.  It takes a full 30 seconds to expand "My Music" folder to display the 500 subfolders.  I liked it better when all of the subfolders were displayed immediately when the dialog box opened. 

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2005, 11:34:42 am »

11.0.264 (5/11/05)

1. NEW: Import / update library runs in the background so MC can be used for other tasks while it is running.
Which I am to say simply ingeniously!  thanks  :)

Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

Shelly

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 12:00:18 pm »

I don't know if this is one of those "by design" things, but the Library Browser does not seem to work with all fonts.

I thought that by increasing the thumbnail size that the panes would resize to display the full text, but thumbnail sizing isn't working.  Comic Sans works fine in 8, but at a 9 or greater the bottom row text is cut off.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 12:22:43 pm »

Pink Waters,
I've moved your list to a new thread.  We need to know more about some of the issues you posted.  Feature requests were removed.

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 12:51:27 pm »

When exporting a playlist, the name of the file generated is now simply "Audio.xxx". In MC10 the file generated would be the same name as the playlist.

Cheers,
Jeff

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 01:50:38 pm »

when I try to import files, it imports just fine but after it gets images it quits (with a C++ runtime error message).  Want a screenshot?

Media Center Registered 11.0.264 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 1807 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 555 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-3500AG  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3500AG   Addr: 0:2:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 01:55:15 pm »

update:

It says Runtime Error! and gives a code

here's the error code:
"R6025
- pure virtual function call"
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

Omni

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 02:25:47 pm »

I thought that by increasing the thumbnail size that the panes would resize to display the full text, but thumbnail sizing isn't working.  Comic Sans works fine in 8, but at a 9 or greater the bottom row text is cut off.

My screen resolution is 2048x1536, so using anything less than a 10pt font is pretty much unreadable.  (There just aren't enough "dots" to physically form a discernable image, so to speak. :))  Yes, I could increase the system's DPI setting, but that sort of would defeat the purpose of running at a high resolution in the first place.

Besides, I don't like the Library Browser anyway.  The title text is too big and ends up truncating everything to the point where it is useless, er, well, to me anyway. ;D  I just thought I would post this "bug" (oversight, or whatever) for the people who do like it.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 02:32:32 pm »

2. My post on the YADB strangeness has not been addressed in two builds; I think it is somewhat important if this feature is to be part of the foundation to attract users. I had an album which was in YADB but I could not select more than 2 tracks at a time; if I did, none were found.

I tried this, it works for me. Could you try several different albums? See if it's limited to a single album or some subset?

j

JONCAT

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 03:40:47 pm »

I'll try the YADB again; your're right I only tested that one ablum. It was still pretty weird. I'll look into it and report back.

I laso have to say the library broswer needs to be looked into. Running high resolutions with an increse in DPI does not allow for the library browser to be used, or MC for that matter, with larger font sizes. It's either use a larger 10-12 (even 14) in size in MC and forgoe the use of the library broswer, or suffer uber small font in MC so as to squint at the library browser.

JC

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 03:59:05 pm »

Synchronizing to an external drive (but probably also a handheld) changes the 'last changed date' of the file to the moment of sync.

Is that by design or a bug?

I hope it is a bug, so it can be fixed  ;)

Peter
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up