INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod stuck resetting  (Read 1622 times)

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
iPod stuck resetting
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:17:59 pm »

Steve,

I had this problem before and thought it was resolved by getting a new iPod, but it's not. I've been through a lot in the last few weeks, but now everything has settled down with MC 11 and I'm back where I was a month ago. Aack.

Here's the situation -- I am using the latest build of MC (.279?). My default library just kept crashing, so now I've created a whole new library and created a bunch of new Playlists/Smartlists from scratch ('cause I could not import them from my old library). MC 11 seems to be working just fine. I synched to my Creative MuVo N200 just fine.

So now I plug in the iPod, which I did successfully sync about 1.5-2 weeks ago. MC recognizes it (as a new handheld because of all I've been through). I sync it, which works nicely ("space free" correct!). Finish synching. Close MC.

Open iPodSync and sync my contacts to the iPod.

Open Explorer and copy some notes files over the iPod Notes manually.

Click on the "Disconnect devices" icon in my icon tray and it says "okay to disconnect". I look at the iPod to see if it says "Ok to disconnect". The Do Not Disconnect symbol goes away, but the words are still there. Then it resets itself.

And resets itself. And resets itself. In the midst of one of those, in the space between when it disconnects from the PC and before it reconnects, I physically disconnect it.

I try a manual reset. This does not work.

I try putting it in disk mode. This works (eventually). I then reconnect it to the PC and I can see it there. I can browse in Explorer and see all the data and everything seems fine. I disconnect it and try a manual reset, this works but sends it back into the reset loop.

When this happened before I was able to get it to work once or twice by putting it in disk mode, connecting it to the PC, reformatting and starting the entire process from scratch. This was a brand new iPod (since I thought it was a hardware error and they could reproduce it at the store, they just handed me a new one). And I loaded it one time.

It seems like I can load the machine from scratch only. Then the second time I try to sync it, it does this infinite reset loop thing.

Since this is a new machine, it clearly is NOT a hardware issue. But I cannot figure out what or where the problem is that is causing this. Is MC causing this? Is there something I am doing to cause this? Is there something on my computer that is causing this? I don't even know how to figure this out.

Can you help? Anyone?

pank2002

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPod stuck resetting
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:49:47 pm »

This happened to me too. It was caused by the disconnect option within MC (which clearly isn't working -- the iPod says it is disconnected by Windows doesn't recognize it as disconnected).

I had to put it to put it to disk mode and reinstall the firmware -- deleting everything -- to get it going strong again :(

I think it's caused by 'bad' disconnection, though your story clearly doesn't point in that direction.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:51:47 pm »

Click on the "Disconnect devices" icon in my icon tray and it says "okay to disconnect". I look at the iPod to see if it says "Ok to disconnect". The Do Not Disconnect symbol goes away, but the words are still there. Then it resets itself.

When you select 'Eject' from within MC for your iPod, the iPod should change to the checkmark saying it is Ok to disconnect. When you actually disconnect the iPod, Windows will become aware of the disconnect. If you are using the Disconnect devices icon in the icon tray, MC is not involved. I guess if you close MC you will still have the same issues.

Rasmus,

You are correct that MC's eject does not notify Windows that the iPod is disconnected. MC does make the PC to iPod connection safe for the disconnect and when iPod is unplugged, MC is aware of its removal

Steve

pank2002

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 02:28:52 pm »

Steve,
I know MC tells the iPod that it's disconnected. But when you pull it out of the dock Windows will go nuts and there will come like 2 pop ups telling me that I will be punished in hell for what I have just done. Next thing I know the iPod is restarting to infinity.

Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 02:48:57 pm »

We're not making any changes in MC11 at this time.  Please bring this up at a later time if you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up