INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating library problem...  (Read 1995 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Updating library problem...
« on: June 02, 2005, 08:47:50 am »

I recently spent quite a bit of time editing my .mp3 files to cut out some commercials from files I ripped from RipCast.

I then converted all of the changed files to .m4a, to play on my iPod.  I am taking a laptop with my on the next leg of my journey, and don't have room for the original files (mainly the .ape file), so everything was converted to .m4a.

The problem I'm having is that the times shown in MC are no longer accurate for many files, since they've been shortened.  I used the "update library from tags" function, but it changes song names and album names, and I think even album names.  I think it's coming from the filenames, even though album name isn't even used in the filenames.  I'm not sure where this info is coming from, but it's overwriting my well manicured tags in MC.  I updated tags from library before doing any of this, but it's still screwing up my tagging.

I did notice that MC shows the right time in the bottom toolbar.  Well, at least the time it shows doesn't change from before updating to after, so MC seems to know how long the songs really are, it just shows the wrong info in the 'duration' field.

I guess it's not too big of a deal, since MC seems to know the right info, but it still bothers me.  I also don' t know how accurate my smartlists are that use time as a qualifier.  As in give me a 70 minute CD type smartlists.  Those ones use duration to grab music, and the info isn't right.

I assume part of the problem is that they are .m4a files, and not totally supported, but maybe somethig can be done.

Any suggestions?
pretend this is something funny

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Re: Updating library problem...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:20:23 am »

Jim, not sure why this was moved.

I am having a problem with the update library function.  That is definately an MC question.

Not a big deal, just not as many people read here, so less chance for an answer.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 09:28:50 am »

m4a files and iPod are the reasons.  A lot of iPod users read this board so you may get help.

Why didn't you just use MP3 for the iPod?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 09:34:58 am »

Cool, I was confused.

Research indicated that aac has much better sound quality at the same compression.  Most of what's on there was originally ape files.  So I figured it was easier for me to keep track of if everything was in one format, therefore m4a.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:46:20 pm »

I assume part of the problem is that they are .m4a files, and not totally supported,

Yes. How did you convert to m4a?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 06:49:19 pm »

Using dbPowerAmp.

Any idea if I can update tags from library to get everything correct, then update from tags to library again?

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 09:05:57 am »

I doubt that will work.

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 09:26:58 am »

And you would be correct.

I ended up converting my library back to point to the original files, fixing whatever I could see in my brief scan (after reverting back to a good backup), updating the original files' tags from the lobrary, which is mostly correct, and reconverting the files in question.  The conversion just finished about 10 minutes ago, and I'm now copying them to the right places, etc.  Hopefully that'll get me all fixed up.

Any idea if MC will ever be able to fully support aac files?  I would LOVE that!!

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 02:12:29 pm »

It is a licensing and $$ issue, so not sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up