INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any chance of a flac decoder that works with the new mc 11?  (Read 4798 times)

jaquestati

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...

any chance of a flac decoder that works with the new mc 11?

with the last few betas the old one doesnt work any more :( 

wont import, but apparently will play if dropped into the now playing list

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: any chance of a flac decoder that works with the new mc 11?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 06:04:36 am »

Strange. I can import by right-clicking the files in Windows Explorer. It works also from Playing Now and MC Tree / Drives & Devices. I haven't tried the Import Media menu. Do you have "FLAC" selected in the file types to be imported?

I can also tag FLAC files. The only fault I know is that Action Window > File Type Info doesn't show the physical file tags. I must use other applications for showing them.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:32:27 pm »

Ditto.  No problem with FLACs.  Watching jaquestati's posts, I was wondering what I'm doing wrong, that everything should be going right.

scthom

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 09:39:18 pm »

I didn't try importing anything, but the other features all seem to be working fine (playing, tagging, etc).

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 09:54:08 pm »

I forgot to mention, this is all thanks to scthom, author of the world's greatest FLAC ENcoder plugin for MC11 ( and currently the only one).  His plugin not only encodes FLACs, it removes messy wax buildup on your floors and does your taxes (schedule C included). 

jaquestati

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 04:53:30 am »

are you using the VERY latest beta as this only seems to have gotten broke in the last one

just re tried it from 3 or 4 diff folders.....  draging and droping or right click shell imorting works fine...

but if you try to import the same flac files via the import function inside mc11 latest beta..... mc crashes on import... :(

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 05:07:26 am »

are you using the VERY latest beta as this only seems to have gotten broke in the last one

I tested it using 11.0.285 (the latest at the time of writing).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

scthom

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 12:30:53 am »

I'm using 286.

I deleted a file from the library and then (re)imported it.  That seemed to work fine.  At least nothing crashed.

Have you tried various files to see if it is just one or more that is causing it?

jaquestati

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 08:58:30 am »

like i said import by right click works or drag and drop but the import media from the menu in mc 11 just causes mc to crash no matter what i do if i check the flac type in the import list and try to import any folder with flac in it :(  tried multiple folders with diff flacs in them all crash on import....

are you REALLY using the file menu inside mc 11 to import the files?

let me know maybe there is another issue...... perhaps related to the size of my library or something....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 09:23:46 am »

Normally I don't use the import menu, but I tried it now. MC imported a folder of FLAC files just fine. (MC 11.0.286)

This is a long shot, but do you have access to any other computer that doesn't have MC installed or are you willing to unistall MC and clean your Windows registry? You could try a clean MC install without any previous JRiver registry items.

jaquestati

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 12:31:01 pm »

well it is doing this on both my machines already tried that :(

can't figure this out :(

i can import till my hearts content...... cleared out the library and redid it (takes years as i have 800 plus gigs of music files across a network :) everything imported fine...... enable the flac plugin and it'll just crash EVERY SINGLE time i try and import.....  tho like i said right click shell import works fine...... but when ya have 800 folders always adding stuff across the drives and network daily...... right click shell importing just isnt an easy option :(  especially as i move stuff around alot  amongst them and need to update the library for ext file changes and missing/moved files....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 03:19:29 pm »

Did you try importing from a local HD? What is the server's OS? Do you have import problems also with other file formats when the FLAC plug-in is installed?

jaquestati

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 01:40:55 am »

no import problems with any other file types, and i have a ton of apes and shn's too.....

120, 000 files around 45 years worth and everything imports fine cept for flacs...

yea i tried local imports on both machines still no go  (even if its a tiny folder of like 3 flacs i moved to test this)

both are xp pro but again i tried locally on both so thats not an issue... :(

update-  i tried the new release candidate and got the same thing on a copy test folder i made.....
then i moved some more flacs into another test folder and tried again and got 7 flacs to import ok.....  maybe i just have some odd flacs?  no idea.....  i'll keep fiddling....

mikesm

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 06:00:35 pm »

Can someone give us an update on this.  From what I read it seems that MC11 can play FLAC fine, but with th current plugins can't actually import FLAC into the music database properly.  Is that correct?

Thanks,
mike

jgreen

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 06:15:02 pm »

Only 1 report of trouble, and none of us can duplicate it.  Download the latest encoder from scthom's site and you should be fine. 

mikesm

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 11:08:23 pm »

Great!  With this info I'll buy MC11 and get my CD's ripped to FLAC by the Awaken folks and be in business shortly...

Thanks,
Mike

waffenschmidt

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 08:48:43 am »

I don't know that this has anything to do with MC11, but I have had problems with the FLAC decoder and trans-coding on the fly.  For instance, if I want to burn a standard audio CD from my FLACs, decoding to WAV on the fly, the tracks are all cut short.  I can, however, successfully decode to WAV first, then burn the resultant WAVs to an audio CD.

I previously searched the forums and found some indication that the FLAC decoder (I believe) does not properly report the length of the file (or something to that effect), causing on the fly decoding to cut the tracks short.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there any development or maintenance currently being conducted on the FLAC decoder to fix it?  Or, am I doing something wrong?

jgreen

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 10:06:07 am »

I have not noticed this, and I have been using the FLAC encoder and decoder a lot.  What I have noticed is that in playback MC11 will occassionally truncate a track, something like 5 seconds.  That is, the last 5 secs are silent, although the track is the normal length.  I haven't been able to pin it down to FLACs specifically, so for now I think there may be something in MC11.

I have been taking FLACs into and out of the Media Editor, a process in which they are decoded to wav, and then re-encoded when saved back.  I haven't had any problems.  So you might also look at the script for burning to CD, especially since you don't have the issue if you convert before burning.

waffenschmidt

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 08:43:36 pm »

I have not had any problem decoding to WAV as a separate step.  The only time I've had the problem is when decoding from FLAC to WAV on the fly to burn a CD.

Not sure what you mean by "look at the script for burning to CD."  I'm just a lowly user; I don't know anything about any scripts.

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?  Or has anyone experienced truncation of files transcoded from FLAC in other situations?  Has anyone sucessfully transcoded from FLAC on the fly to MP3 or some format other than WAV?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 09:07:30 pm »

I have not had any problem decoding to WAV as a separate step.  The only time I've had the problem is when decoding from FLAC to WAV on the fly to burn a CD.
Try not doing decoding and burning simultaneously, or try slowing down the burn speed.

waffenschmidt

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 08:08:44 pm »

Try not doing decoding and burning simultaneously, or try slowing down the burn speed.
Thanks for the response.

As I said above, I have not had a problem decoding to WAV as a separate step.  I've also not had any problem burning.  I just can't do them simultaneously, which makes the process of burning a CD from my FLAC archives a lot more work.

I have an old drive, and burn at 2X.  I suppose I could try 1X, but that seems ridiculous.  Still, it would be better than doing multiple steps.  I'll give it a shot and let you know.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2005, 08:04:44 am »

You can purchase 52X CD burners these days for $25. Why not just upgrade your drive?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2005, 08:22:06 am »

As I said above, I have not had a problem decoding to WAV as a separate step.  I've also not had any problem burning.  I just can't do them simultaneously, which makes the process of burning a CD from my FLAC archives a lot more work ...

Have you tried to disable the "Options > CD Writer > Audio CD Options > Decode files directly to CD" option? MC should then separate the steps internally without additional user interaction.

waffenschmidt

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005, 10:20:06 pm »

You can purchase 52X CD burners these days for $25. Why not just upgrade your drive?

I suppose I could, but I vowed not to spend any more money on this computer.  I'd rather wait until I can afford to replace it.

Have you tried to disable the "Options > CD Writer > Audio CD Options > Decode files directly to CD" option? MC should then separate the steps internally without additional user interaction.

That sounds like a great idea.  I didn't realize that option existed.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up