INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 burning problem with Ogg Vorbis  (Read 1754 times)

marcusaschneider

MC11 burning problem with Ogg Vorbis
« on: June 13, 2005, 01:30:33 pm »

Hi all,

the CD burning issue is still there:
1. Select whatever tracks (one or more, format: ogg/vorbis)
2. Send them to the cd burner for burning an audio cd
3. Burn the CD with whatever setting (I did not try all but a lot of combinations...)
4. The only one that works SOMETIMES is when neither 'Decode files directly to CD', 'Write CD Text' and 'apply cross-fade and dsp effects' are set.
5. But usually: cd that seems to have all information but when played won't  produce any sound and skip over to the next track after just a few seconds.

I think it is a little bit annoying to have no one to care about this. AFAIK this is a Media Center Standard Feature (at last I have been told so) and for me this is a serious bug... :-[

My last post on this topic has caused practically no reaction:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28006.msg194319#msg194319

System Info:
Media Center Registered 11.0.290 -- d:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 550 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 57 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive F: LITEON  CD-ROM LTN403L    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G: Generic DVD-ROM           Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive J: LITE-ON LTR-52327S        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive K: LITEON  CD-ROM LTN403L    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive J: LITE-ON  LTR-52327S         Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Somebody needs a log file?

Regards, Marcus

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC11 burning problem with Ogg Vorbis
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:35:19 pm »

Can you burn CD's from other formats?

Did you try slowing the burning speed down?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 02:26:55 pm »

... 4. The only one that works SOMETIMES is when neither 'Decode files directly to CD', 'Write CD Text' and 'apply cross-fade and dsp effects' are set.

... Microsoft Windows XP Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 550 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 57 MB

... Burning / Drive J: LITE-ON LTR-52327S Addr: 1:0:0 Speed:52 MaxSpeed:52 BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No / Eject after writing: Yes / Direct decoding: No / Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No / Normalization: None

It could be a speed issue. 52x means about 8 MB/s transfer speed. Of course decoding and/or any DSP at that speed is a heavy task for an old processor. Also the hard drive and the drive controller(s) can be bottlenecks.

I recall when I used a highly optimized 450 MHz PII with 500 MB of memory and the fastest available drives I always first converted the files to wave format and burned them only at 4x speed even though my latest burner could do 16x. I wanted to be sure about the quality.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marcusaschneider

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 02:41:34 pm »

Thanks for the fast answers!

Had the same problems with mp3 in no matter what setting.

Well - it seems a general issue with MediaCenter in no matter what speed.
When doing the same things with Nero (burning Audio-CDs from mp3/ogg) I can do without any problem even at max speed.
I know perfectly well that I used to do CD-Audio burning from ogg/mp3 from within MC 10, an I think that I also did it successfully during the first days of 11.

Any more questions? Special software that is known to be a problem in conjunction with MC?

Regards

marcusaschneider

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 11:01:46 am »

Again me...

I test this every once in a while (everytime several CDRs get lost...) and nothing has changed so far.

I do not know whether I xplained myself correctly. But it is not, that the data on the CD is damaged. No Jitter or anything else. It is just that the physical data size of each track is shown as several MB (exactly the size as the encoded source btw). Playing in MediaCenter yields in the tracks being skipped while playing in  Media Player as a result has the track being played for its estimated length without any sound...

To be honest - a speed issue would result in corrupt data (jitter, inaccessible discs etc.) and random problems. But this problem looks like a consistent error in the decoding procedures.
Strange enough: listening and conversion themselves work perfectly fine on my "old processor", even while having several other cpu and memory consuming programs running.

hand
Marcus

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 12:03:10 pm »

I test this every once in a while (everytime several CDRs get lost...) and nothing has changed so far.

Could you use rewritable CD-RW discs when testing?

It is just that the physical data size of each track is shown as several MB (exactly the size as the encoded source btw).

I don't get this. All audio CD tracks are 1 KB when viewed with Windows Explorer and MC shows the uncompressed 1440 kbps track sizes like 40-80 MB or so.

Did you burn data CDs? In that case the file sizes would be identical with the compressed files on your HD because the files are the same.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marcusaschneider

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 01:39:41 pm »

Of course I could use CDRWs (why didn't I think about it? Because I never had need for RWs...) and will do it...
No - I did not burn data CDs. In Explorer everything looks fine - all tracks are identified as cda having a size of 1k (exactly spoken some 44 bytes) ...
Media Player plays them for exactly as long as expected - without a sound.
MediaCenter identifies them as CDAs having the size of my original OGGs and just plays one.five or so seconds of them without a sound...

As I said - with Nero everything works fine at any speed. And I used to do compilations from OGG files from within MC

Marcus

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 02:33:31 pm »

... MediaCenter identifies them as CDAs having the size of my original OGGs and just plays one.five or so seconds of them without a sound...

That is really strange. It has never happened to me.

Have you tried to uninstall MC completely and reinstall? Here is how you can preserve your data: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27914.msg194327#msg194327.

If that does not help you could try take some further cleaning steps. I wrote some instructions for cleaning everything in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26917.0.

marcusaschneider

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 01:16:41 am »

:D :D :D

Hi Alex B and all,

yes - completely deinstalling, restarting the system, deleting everything that was left and could be of JRiver's MC, doing a fresh install eventually did the job. Burning Audio CDs from encoded files now works again.
Thanks for your support. I must admit that I was a little bit too lazy or maybe stubborn by not immediately trying the deinstall/reinstall procedure.
But: that should mean that some files don't get replaced while upgrading?

Anyway a great product if I did not mention this.

Marcus

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 06:42:25 pm »

ripping to ogg worked for me...
Pages: [1]   Go Up