INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upnp Server crashes wireless network  (Read 5792 times)

sklus20

• Recent member
Upnp Server crashes wireless network
« on: June 19, 2005, 07:42:55 pm »

When I run the uPnP server, it crashes my wireless network every 5 minutes (on the nose).  It is down for maybe 15 seconds and then it comes up until 5 minutes have passed when MC crashes the network again.  When I turn off the server, the wireless network is happy as a lark.

Here are my MC vitals:

Media Center Registered 11.0.295 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1580 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 597 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2668 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050430-1553) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D: LITEON  DVD-ROM LTD163    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive E: HP       DVD Writer 300n    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upnp Server crashes wireless network
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 08:07:50 pm »

You could update to the latest build, but there may be a more general problem with your network.  It's just about impossible for any application to crash the network.

sklus20

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 08:24:37 pm »

I agree, but I've run sniffers on the network and have found nothing unusual.  The only thing that has any effect on the status of the network is whether I'm running the MC software or not.  Is there a large amount of data MC produces at the 5 minute mark (just wild guesses)?  I'm assuming it's some interaction problem I have, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it before.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 08:45:12 pm »

Is it always exactly the same period of time?  Screensaver?

Here's a thread that has some odd ball problems we've seen:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24031;start=0

One of them was solved by a network driver update.

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 03:04:19 am »

I've had problems that smells like this. Turned outr to be defective router.

What kind of router are you using?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 02:51:32 pm »

The UPnP Server broadcasts SSDP announcements every 5 minutes. These are multicast packets, and don't cause a problem that I know of. Is it possible that a router isn't handling the multicast right?

j

sklus20

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 10:02:43 pm »

It very well could be the router.  I'm using a fairly old router (a D-Link DI-514).  I have always assumed this is a problem unique to my system (as no one else I have seen has posted about it), but I am finely asking for help because it has me stumped and frustrated (and I want to use MC rather than the Phillips "memory hog" Media Manager).

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 10:01:27 am »

It's strange - I've not heard of anyone else with this problem.

So the first thing to check is the router - can you borrow a router from a friend and swap them?
That'd let us know if the router is the culprit.

j

sch phase

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 04:14:01 am »

Hi I am using the 30 day trial of MC11 and am also finding that the upnp server seems to crash my wireless network, so I use Twonky 2.8 to stream to my 2 netgear MP101’s.
 I originally thought that it crashed the network when I stream one large MP3 file (I use audio cleaning lab 5 to make music mixes as the gaps between tracks are too long for my liking, then export as one mp3 file into MC11, and for ease of finding, make a m3u playlist file from that. The mix may last a long time 30’ plus, and my observations are that the MP101 will just stop, seems to be around 13 minutes or so (screensaver is disabled) and another generic windows wireless icon will appear in my system tray with “connecting” shown, although it doesn’t connect.

The other scenario is when just playing tracks/albums, the streaming will stop, then start again, and again another windows generic wireless icon will appear in my system tray.

I am afraid to say Twonky is faultless in this respect.

Wireless router is a Belkin 7630 and wireless pci card is a Belkin FSD7000

sklus20

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 10:10:28 pm »

I have finally got around to hooking up a new router to my system and lo and behold the uPnP server is holding up fine.  Thanks for your help.

Scott

gany

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 09:56:16 am »

I've the same problem!   :-\
I use the dlink 624 router. I've no problems with the router except when starting the upnp-plugin.
gany

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 08:52:22 pm »

It just means that MC may create a condition that causes the router software to crash.

You could try updating the firmware for the router or you could try a different router.

JWGasner

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 07:57:38 pm »

I found this so I thought I'd put my issue here as it appears to be somewhat related.  I have a MP101 v3.3.36 running with MC v11.0.314 connected via wireless by a Netgear WG614-v4 V5.0_07.  I'm able to play from the Netgear Media Server for over 2 days continous from the wireless network without any issues.  If I'm pulling from the MC uPNP server I will only get somewhere between 15 minutes to 2 hours - don't think I've ever seen it past 2 hours before it will corrupt the wireless connection of the MP101.  I'm able to restart the MP101 and it will find and restart just fine, but whatever it does to the MP101 - until I reset it it will not reconnect to the wireless network.  I've tried this various times and the only consistant thing is that it happens from the MC and not the Netgear media server.  I don't think it is taking down my Wireless network, but seems to be just affecting my MP101.  If anyone has any thoughts for me with this I'd appreciate it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 08:01:43 pm »

Bugs are hard to find.  But if the network hangs or the UPnP client hangs, then there may be one.  The fact that it works in other circumstances doesn't prove that there is not bug.  It just means that the conditions that trigger the bug may not exist.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 09:34:50 pm »

Hi JW,

Thanks for the info, it gives me a couple of things to explore.

A question: when the NetGear stops playing, can you navigate to the next song and play that? (you may have to try two or three songs before you find one that plays, what I mean is can you sort of keep going, or do you have to power cycle the NetGear before it'll play anything else?)

j

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 02:58:28 am »

I have some related info.

I've been a registered user for approx 6 moths. I re-installed MC11 three days ago on a computer running Windows XP Pro.

My internet connection is crap since a couple of days. I've been in touch with my ISP because I thought the internet connection failed. But some of the services worked and I had 97% UDP. Now I've been sitting here for many days  and tried to sort out what it could be that make my internet connection unstable. And I finally found out what it is!

I am using a LAN and some of the computers are hooked on a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. If I power off the routers and the computers... power on everything the internet works  at 100%. I can use internet get full speed on the web, mail etc. BUT, when I start MC11 mediaserver the web, ftp and e-mail becoms flacky, big lags  and sometimes I don't even have access to the some services on the internet. However port 6881 is still running (I am testing downloadning a torrent and they works as normal... I think, maybe slower but it works).

So. I found out that it's when I am running media server that my internet is not working. This has never happened before I changed computer. I am now running MC11 server on a P4 3.0Gb PC, 1Gb RAM. Could Skype have anything to do with it?

Anyhow, It's quite annoying that I can't use the server function anymore  >:(

Media Center Registered 11.0.316 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2990 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 440 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2800 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2800 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2800 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 06:39:55 am »

It's likely that the router is getting confused.  If you power just it off and back on, does the network work again?

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 07:16:52 am »

I have not tested to turn the router off/on but If I shut down MC11 server the Internet is running again. I tried different portsettings and routed to Port 81 but the very same thing is happening.

Very strange as it worked completely on the other computer. The reason for changing was that the PSU blow up and I am waiting for a new to the "musicserver". In the meantime I thought I would run MC on a different computer but with no luck. My daughters are upset  ::) They now have a choice, internet connection or Media Center, not both.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 11:08:58 am »

Is someone from outside your home using media server? One possibility is that they are, and this is overloading the network. Try password protecting Media Server (or change the password).

j

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 12:22:45 pm »

Thanks for trying to help me but I guess that's not the problem. I've always used Media Center password protected and the network is not overloaded, max output 2-15% and that's when I am using the internet for up/downloading. I changed username and password after reading your input but it's no difference. If I watch the networking and processes in Windows task manager CPU usage is 00% and no difference in the networking graph.

Hmmm... when thinking of it it's not the UPnP server I am connecting (never done that). It's the Library Server. Does that make difference in a local DHCP network with addresses starting a 192.168.0.51? I only use Media Center for mp3 files, exclusively, no videos or other format except for some wav-files.

Media Center works correctly without using the server function but everytime I start the server I am getting lags (or general _very_ slow) when webbrowsing or using e-mail/ftp (sometimes no access at all). Just to be clair. The LAN is working as expected with or without MC. It's the Internet connection to my ISP that does not work when using Library Server. If I use MC local on a single computer everything is working or when using LAN with Internet-connection disconnected (but that makes no sence as I am then not getting any problems  :) ).

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 01:13:06 pm »

Try switching Media Server(Library Server) to a different port. What port is it currently using?

j

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 02:00:14 pm »

I've always used Autoc unitl the problem occured, then I tried port 80 and 81, same thing.
Any suggestion on which port to use to minimize problems?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 02:23:39 pm »

Try 12345, or some 5 digit number smaller than 65535...

Have you checked your PC for viruses/adware lately?

j

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 02:29:03 pm »

I will try a different port. I'll let you know if the status change.

I do check this computer frequently with all sorts of utilitities. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up