INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC10 stopped connecting to iPod  (Read 1555 times)

nightron

MC10 stopped connecting to iPod
« on: June 20, 2005, 11:16:19 pm »

I have a 20G iPod and a W2K computer, my son also has a 20G iPod and an XPpro computer, we have been using MC10 for about six months without any problems.  Within the past few weeks we have both started having the same problem (weird).  We can no longer get either computer to connect to our iPods, the same thing happens on both systems. 

If I go to Explorer I can see the iPod as "Removeable Disk F:", and I can see the Music folder with its Fxx folders with the MP3 files in them, and I can lick on the MP3 files and play them in Media Player from the iPod, so I know that the iPod-to-computer connection is okay.

When I go into MC, if I go to Drives and Devices, I can see F:, but if I click on it, there is a pause of a few seconds then I get an empty error box with just a red X and an OK button.  There is no message displayed in the error box.

If I click on "Handheld Player" then I get a "Runtime Error" message and MC crashes.

This exact same thing is happening every time, on both computers, with two different iPods, and it suddenly started after everything had been working fine for many months. 

Any idea what is going on?   
Thank you for your help.

nightron

Re: MC10 stopped connecting to iPod
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:11:23 am »

More Information:  Okay, after reading some other posts, I went to Explorer and deleted the iTunesDB file from my iPod.  Then I went into MC and ReSynched the iPod.   That worked, and my iPod showed up in MC and I was able to have the new files I have been wanting to transfer sent to the iPod.   

Okay .... so then I closed MC, and disconnected my iPod .... then I reconnected the iPod and went back into MC ...  AND THE SAME PROBLEM HAS COME BACK!!   I now get the RedX error box again if I click on the F: drive, and if I click on "Handheld Player"  MC crashes with a "Runtime Error" again.

This is VERY frustrating .... can someone tell me what is going on please.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 05:52:29 am »

Please try MC11.  iPods have changed in the last year and MC11 has much better support for them.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:24:28 am »

Do you have any applications (i.e. MusicMatch, iTunes, etc.) set to auto detect your iPod? If so, disable them.

nightron

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 10:35:53 am »

I uninstalled iTunes from my system long ago.  I have no other programs that auto detect my iPod.   

I could upgrade to MC11, but MC10 has been working great for like six months without any problem. 

Now, the only way I can get MC10 to recognize my iPod is to delte the iTunesDB file, and then resynchronize (which my sons took an hour and 40 minutes to do) .... then after doing that MC works as expected with the iPod until I disconnect it and close MC.   Then the next time I try to access the iPod in MC it crashes again with the same "Runtime Error".   Two different iPods on two different computers are both doing this, and they both recently started.  Could this relate to any recent automatically installed updates to Windows?

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 11:37:06 am »

Not sure. I can assure you MC 10 has not changed recently so the issues most likely are not related to us.

Try some simple tests. Intialize one iPod so nothing is on it. Sync a small playlist of 10 files. Disconnect and play the files reconnect. See if all still is going well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up