INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple MP3 player problems  (Read 2950 times)

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
Multiple MP3 player problems
« on: June 25, 2005, 10:35:55 am »

I'm having a disastrous time trying to get j.River Media Center 11.0.285 to recognise any of my portables.

Apple iPod - nothing happens, just says Initialization failure. Device not found.
iRiver H320 - set this up as a drive, H:\MUSIC. Crashes Media Center whenever I select it in the Handheld Player action window.
iRiver H10 - each track takes about a minute to transfer. Otherwise works perfectly.

I'd like to know how I can fix these problems. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Multiple MP3 player problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:53:58 am »

Please download the latest build from a thread on the MC board.

Start with one of the players, maybe the iPod, and read some of the other posts here. 

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 07:08:34 am »

Thanks. The H320 issue seems to have cleared up with 299, but not the iPod or the H10. H10's more important at this stage since I prefer iTunes over MC.

MC's trying to be helpful for the H10 presumably since it's updating the built-in database as well, but it's unusably slow. Takes 4 minutes to transfer an album. How do I speed this up? Thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:24:42 am »

In regards to the iPod, try running the iPod updater and then reconnect the iPod to see if MC recognizes it.

In regards to speed, transfer 50 mb of music to the H10 by copying the files to it from within Windows Explorer. Take note of the speed.  Delete and retransfer the same files using MC and take note of the speed and please post the results.

Is it correct that on the H10 the music must be transferred to a media\music folder to be recognized by the device?

Thanks,

Steve

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:51:57 am »

MC recognised the H10 when it was docked. There are no settings I had to specify for where to put the music, but MC does put it in the correct place, and it also updates the H10 database correctly. But this seems to be done on a track-by-track basis, and although the track transfer itself is as fast as via Explorer, the database update is what seems to take ages. Effective transfer speed is slower than a Sony flash player using Sonicstage (the combination of which is paint-dryingly slow) and a lot slower than iRiver Plus.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 01:14:28 pm »

but MC does put it in the correct place

Is the correct place the media\music folder?

and it also updates the H10 database correctly...
and although the track transfer itself is as fast as via Explorer, the database update is what seems to take ages.

What do you mean by this?  MC is not doing anything but putting the files on the device. If the H10 has an internal database that it creates and that is slow, there is not much we can do.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 03:41:47 pm »

Erm...

The H10 has as it's main browsing interface a databasing system like the iPod for example, although it is also UMS compliant (in which case you have to use the browse option). Either way yes you have to put music in the folder you mentioned.

However, the database is updated correctly by Media Center and music is automatically placed into that folder by MC, albeit very slowly on a track by track basis as I mentioned. I didn't even have to install the H10. When I plugged it in, MC recognised it and I did not have to set anything. I was rather surprised as I expected that I would have to set it up like the UMS H320.

Is this unintentional? Is MC11 the world's first psychic software?

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 09:39:55 am »

MC has a table for devices that automatically handles where files should be sent by default as well as where m3u playlists should be placed (if the device supports them). If the H320 has similar settings to the H10, I can add it to the table so that it is autodetected. To do this, I need the folder where the files should go, whether the device supports m3u playlists and if there is a default directory for the m3us.  I also need to know exactly how the H320 appears in the MC tree.

However, the database is updated correctly by Media Center

I assure you that if the H10 has a proprietary database like iPod, MC is not updating it. If it is being updated it is the firmware on the device that is doing this.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 04:34:35 pm »

Well something is strange in that case, as MC is definitely updating the database of the H10 correctly. Have you written a generic driver of some sort of PlaysforSure device?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 04:47:51 pm »

It probably works because MC11 supports WMDM.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 06:44:44 pm »

That makes sense. Is there a way of speeding it up?

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 09:31:21 am »

MC is compatible with PlaysForSure devices. Try testing your device with WMP and see how the speed compares.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 05:58:53 am »

Hmmm. Is there any chance that I can get the Korean-Firmware (i.e. UMS) N10 to be recognised as a regular drive instead of an WMDM device?

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 12:52:45 pm »

Yes, assuming you can browse to the H10 in Explorer. If yes, go to Tools->Options->Handhelds and click 'Reset' for your devices. When MC auto dectects the H10 say 'no' to the question of do you want MC to recognize it as a portable device.  Then, go to Tools->Options->Handhelds->Configure remote and fixed drives and browse to the H10 and then give it a name.

You will have to make sure the H10 always connects as the same drive for this to work.

In regards to speed enhancements, these are coming.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up