INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proposed Ideas for MC/Handheald Interaction.  (Read 1339 times)

UnknownID

Proposed Ideas for MC/Handheald Interaction.
« on: June 28, 2005, 02:36:01 pm »

Idea Number One
I would like to propose a caching system for MC users who convert on the fly to their handhelds.

My idea involves having an option available when a user selects a Lossless compression format (APE, WMA lossless, Flac, etc) that would enable a caching of files at a different format in a lossy format (user selectable). This would be optional so if someone with a large hard drive who can afford the additional space could use it, but if someone who uses lossless and cannot afford the space doesn't have to.

MC would use the Lossless files as the primary data storage file (play count, etc) and primary use for playback within MC. But, when a user wants the Lossless song on a portable, MC would transfer the already create Lossy format to the handheld.

People with small handhelds who regularly transfer files, but want to maintain the high-quality of Lossless within MC would benefit from the transfer time. For me, converting an APE file to WMA takes about 2 minutes per song.

This would also allow for an accurate play count on the files within MC.

With this feature, an elaborate system of smart lists and view schemes are not necessary for having a "double" library.

Idea Number Two
I would like to propose a filtering system be added to MC for transferring to handhelds. This is for users who do not utilize the above mentioned caching system.

I can safely assume that most people have more than one file type for music within MC. I use APE, MP3, + WMA. Since MC can handle more than 20 different file types, the ability to specify what happens when file is transferred is important (I when I transfer music I have to send all my MP3s to the handheld then switch my settings and convert my APE files. This gets really crazy when I have APE and MP3 files in a playlist).

For each file type MC has a user can select what to do: "Send as is" or "Convert to <blank> and send" with a selection of format available for the file type.

====================
That is it for now ;D ;D ;D

I hope I was able to explain my systems well enough. I am sure they need some tweaking, but the idea is there. BTW - Since this deals with handheald interaction I thought is should be posted here. If SteveG or another forum admin thinks this should be in the main MC development board I would be happy to post something there as well.

UnknownID

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Proposed Ideas for MC/Handheald Interaction.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 04:05:34 pm »

Hi UnknownID

For the first one - good idea, but there are some hurdles to cross. Some devices support streaming from the network, and it would have to be smart enough not to cache these (not IPod style devices, the set top box next to the stereo).

For the second one, I've been working on a different approach. Instead of the complications of having each file type possibly converted to a different file type. instead know which file types each device supports, and only convert (to a single file type) if it is not one of those known types. Example, if the IPod supports mp3 and I had a playlist with mp3, wma, and ape, then only the wma and ape files get coverted (to my choice). How's this sound?

j

UnknownID

Re: Proposed Ideas for MC/Handheald Interaction.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 02:49:28 pm »

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been very busy as of late :)

You guys at JRiver are fantastic programmers and I know you can get my first idea to work. It would be very helpful to those of us who use handheld devices and lossless encoding. When you think about it 2 minutes may not seem like a long time, but when you are sitting there waiting for 100+ files to transfer, it will be hours before you can use your handheld. It would streamline the process of how users interact with MC, Handhelds, and make transfers (not to mention the speed increase and time saving).

I like your idea for number 2, but you run into a problem. Say my Nomad Zen supports WMA and MP3. Converting that same playlist of APE, WMA, and MP3 files would cause (if I understand you correctly) both the APE and MP3 files to get converted. My mp3s are 128-256 kbps and are fine that way on my handheld; I wouldn't need them to be converted to WMA, have degeneration from the double lossy encoding, and spend the time for the conversion to happen.

UnknownID

Pages: [1]   Go Up