INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ack! Help! 5th CD-RW and still no 48x!  (Read 3725 times)

Mr_Q

• Recent member
  • Digital Artist
Ack! Help! 5th CD-RW and still no 48x!
« on: October 02, 2002, 08:56:07 pm »

K, I am on my 5th CD-RW. I picked up a Memorex cause someone here said they had it and it was buring 40x and 48x all day.

I think after 5 drives it has to be something with Windows XP. Does anyone have any clues?
If it sounds cool, it will be on my harddrive!

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Ack! Help! 5th CD-RW and still no 48x!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 06:12:12 am »

For one thing 40x/48x sound like read speeds, not write. The other is that they are maximums, and dependant on what part of the CD your reading/writing from. Throw in some overhead and you will rarely hit those numbers.

Xenno

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 06:24:33 am »

I have the same issues with a TEAC 40X burner. Yes that is the burn speed. The issue is MJ interface shows the fastest setting available is 24X. All their documentation shows 40X capability. My CDR/RW is on the list of supported devices. I have changed registry settings and deleted registry settings. Not just  J River registry settings but entries specific to my burner. Uninstalled, reinstalled, Ive spent more time troubleshooting than ripping and burning. No one has offered any decent help. I'm very disappointed thus far. The product is cool, but if I cannot deal with a fairly standard piece of equipment. Especially one that's on their hardware compatibility list, I'm not sure it's worth using. And I paid for it.
Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken.

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 06:44:11 am »

Ummm, Guys...

16x is still the fastest a CD-R/W can write a CD-R/W disk. There are a couple of 24x rewrite drives out there, but still no media that can handle a speed faster than 16x.

You can only write 48x with a CD-R.

-Mr.X

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 07:13:10 am »

Ummm, Guys...

16x is still the fastest a CD-R/W can write a CD-R/W disk. There are a couple of 24x rewrite drives out there, but still no media that can handle a speed faster than 16x.

You can only write 48x with a CD-R.

-Mr.X

Like said X, CDR/RW. Im not trying to rewrite. Just write.
Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken.

Mr_Q

• Recent member
  • Digital Artist
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 09:40:57 am »

Yah to clear up confusion, I have been trying 48x WRITERs [48x12x48]. I have found a solution though...

Installing Windows 2000 fixed everything! It sees my drive at 48x!  I then partitioned and did a fresh install of XP Pro and sure enough, it would only see the drive's slower re-write speed of 12x.

Must be some software nastiness in XP.

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2002, 01:14:22 pm »

Yah to clear up confusion, I have been trying 48x WRITERs [48x12x48]. I have found a solution though...

Installing Windows 2000 fixed everything! It sees my drive at 48x!  I then partitioned and did a fresh install of XP Pro and sure enough, it would only see the drive's slower re-write speed of 12x.

Must be some software nastiness in XP.

Does not help me. I'm running XP. Everything sees my device os, other apps even the XP buring product burns as 40X.

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2002, 04:15:56 pm »

I run Windows XP Pro, I have a 48-24-48 Memorex drive, and I have ZERO problems burning at 48x via MJ. Nero works fine too.

A couple of things:

1. I'm using TDK 48x CD-R discs.
2. I use XP's Automatic Updates feature, and I download and apply the updates religiously.

Good luck!

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2002, 06:15:31 pm »

I run Windows XP Pro, I have a 48-24-48 Memorex drive, and I have ZERO problems burning at 48x via MJ. Nero works fine too.

A couple of things:

2. I use XP's Automatic Updates feature, and I download and apply the updates religiously.

Good luck!

Same , same to the except for no SP1 for XP installed yet. Whine!!!!!

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2002, 06:25:34 pm »

A couple of things:

Good luck!

Ski,
I just thought of something. Can you send a snap shot of your registry to me? I can compare the CD device portion and the J River portion. This may give some ideas as to what going on. If you need a "how to" on dumping your registry to a text file let me know. I think this would be a big help.

I'm not opposed to hacking around on my machine to get this to work. The bulk of MJ works great. 95% of the produce is RELLY good. That's why I'm pestering trying to get this thing fixed. If I didn't like it so much I would have just decided to eat the $30 bucks and go on with life, which the easy road, the easy road is always my first choice.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2002, 06:34:54 pm »

Like said X, CDR/RW. Im not trying to rewrite. Just write.

Dude, Mr. X is right here.

It doesn't matter that you're not trying to rewrite, if you're using CD-RW media, which you say you are, you can't go faster than 16X.  The limitation is in the media, not the function.

For example, I have a 40-10-24 unit.  It can write to a CD-R at 24x; it can write to a CD-RW at 10X, which includes writing and erasing; it can read at 40x.

You said "same" when skidoo said that he had a 48-24-48 unit, so I'm going to assume you also have a 48-24-48 unit.  This means that the fastest you can expect to go with a CD-RW is 24x.  If you use regular CD-R media, you should be able to go at 48x.

The first number is your max speed with CD-R media.
The second number is your speed with CD-RW media.
The third number is your read speed with either.
If the middle number isn't 48, you can't go at 48x with CD-RW media
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2002, 10:53:39 am »

Dude, Mr. X is right here.

It doesn't matter that you're not trying to rewrite, if you're using CD-RW media, which you say you are, you can't go faster than 16X.  The limitation is in the media, not the function.

For example, I have a 40-10-24 unit.  It can write to a CD-R at 24x; it can write to a CD-RW at 10X, which includes writing and erasing; it can read at 40x.

You said "same" when skidoo said that he had a 48-24-48 unit, so I'm going to assume you also have a 48-24-48 unit.  This means that the fastest you can expect to go with a CD-RW is 24x.  If you use regular CD-R media, you should be able to go at 48x.

The first number is your max speed with CD-R media.
The second number is your speed with CD-RW media.
The third number is your read speed with either.
If the middle number isn't 48, you can't go at 48x with CD-RW media

Thanks for the information on what the numbers mean. I know you're trying to help. I know what the numbers mean. Allow me to clarify.
I have a TEAC cd-w540e. This device is a 40X write, 12X rewrite and 48X read. I'm using TDK CDR Media tested to 48X. The device is recognized in Windows as the correct device. Nero also sees it as the correct device and allows me to burn at 40X. When I said "same, same" I was referring to Ski's point one and two, the media and the XP updates.

When you said "the limitation is the media" this has nothing to do with my issue. MJ does not know what type of media you're using. My issue is: in MJ under <settings>, <options> then under <CD writer settings> no matter if I check use the "generic driver" box or not, if I check use the "internal ASPI layer" or not. MJ recognizes my device as a "TEAC CD-W540E" but the highest burning speed available is 24X. Everything else in my computer recognizes the device correctly and allows me to write at 40X. This is why I believe it to be an MJ issue.

The other issue I'm having is all the attempts at help seem to come from other users. I would like some help from the folks I paid my money too. If I could get anyone from J River to look at the issue I'm sure an answer would be forth coming. I can get no one from J River to respond.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2002, 06:45:34 pm »

<snip!>
I'm using TDK CDR Media tested to 48X.
<snip!>

Aye, but... Mr_Q said in his opening sentence "I am on my 5th CD-RW" -- he didn't say that he was on his 5th CD-R.  CD-RW media is limited by the middle number on the burner's rating, and that's what I was trying to explain to him.  I realize that CD-R media can be rated up to 48x; I wasn't trying to insult anyone's intelligence... I was just trying to point out that maybe he's using the wrong type of media.

When it comes to using CD-RW media and trying to figure out why it won't go 48x, it's important to note that the difference is in the media.

Although, I did mis-quote the "same" comment... which you said.  I was responding to MR_Q, but I used one of your posts to quote from.  Big time oops on my part, sorry bout dat.  (Not reading every part of a long thread is one of my bad habits... I missed a few things in there  :-[)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2002, 07:02:29 am »

Kurt,
I know you&#8217;re trying to help. I'm sorry I know I sounded snippy. It's just frustrating not getting the help I need.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2002, 07:26:52 am »

It's just frustrating not getting the help I need.

You are getting help.  It just isn't solving the problem.

Not all problems can be solved.  It isn't because we don't care.

Trapper

• Recent member
  • Sometimes &quot;format c:&quot; is not a dirty word.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2002, 07:03:50 pm »

Hi guys.  Is there some internal setting in MJ that rewrites registry values?  I have a TEAC 40X as well and if I change the regisitry values I can (apparently) enable 40x writing.  But after I close MJ and reopen it, the registry returns to 24x max.  I do not have this problem with Nero or Ulead VCD Factory.  

BTW, I am running WinXp Home SP1 on a Dell Dimension 4400 P-4 1.8 GHz with 512MB RAM.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO!  :D
Trapper

Trapper

• Recent member
  • Sometimes &quot;format c:&quot; is not a dirty word.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2002, 07:29:40 pm »

BTW, enabling the generic driver and NOT using the Internal ASPI layer WILL enable 40x burning on my TEAC 40x.  Odd, huh?

Trapper

johnt3

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2002, 08:11:07 am »

Hi guys.  Is there some internal setting in MJ that rewrites registry values?...

Whenever MJ starts up, it scans for cd burning devices and queries for information such as max write speed. Then it saves these values in the registry for use during the run of the program. As I said in another thread, I'll try to track down the problem on Monday.

John T.
JRiver, Inc.

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2002, 03:54:46 pm »

You are getting help.  It just isn't solving the problem.

Not all problems can be solved.  It isn't because we don't care.

Understood.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2002, 04:03:56 pm »

Understood.

Thanks.  We should have more control of our destiny soon.  At least on XP and Win2000.  It may be a month or two or three, but it _should_ let us solve this kind of problem.

Mr_Q

• Recent member
  • Digital Artist
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2002, 10:15:19 am »

I am using 32x write media and I tried the 48x media that came with two of the drives.  No go.

I also verified that my existing 32x media did write at 16x just fine. So the fact the drives was only seeing 12x is suspect.

As I said though, under Windows 2000 my drive is functioning normally. Matter of fact my 32x media is burning at 40x just fine.  So there is something wrong under XP SP1.

new_unit

• Recent member
  • IT Hired Gun
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2002, 03:37:20 pm »

Jim,

when you say

We should have more control of our destiny soon.

Does that mean your own burning engine? Drivers?

Pages: [1]   Go Up