INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC seems to be missing scroll wheel events  (Read 4276 times)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
MC seems to be missing scroll wheel events
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:00:21 pm »

I've seen this posted before but haven't seen a resolution.

If you use a scroll wheel to scroll the details window, the faster you scroll the wheel, the SLOWER it scrolls MC.   I.E.  If you scroll the wheel slowly you get one line of scroll for every wheel click.  If you scroll the wheel fast, you may get only 1 line scroll for every 5 wheel clicks.   Still spins the CPU at close to 100% though.

Kind of defeats the purpose of the scroll wheel.   Any chance of some relief?

-----------------------------

Media Center Registered 11.0.308 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

5.2 Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
Intel Pentium 4 2397 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 439 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.3790.1830 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.3790.2440 (srv03_sp1_gdr.050506-1520) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive D: SONY    DVD RW DRU-530A   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     DVD RW DRU-530A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Omni

Re: MC seems to be missing scroll wheel events
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 10:50:59 pm »

MS mice (not sure about Logitech) now have an "Enable accelerated scrolling" option in the driver panel.  Maybe that's what's messing up MC, and you can try fiddling with that and see what happens.  (I'm not saying this isn't an MC problem; I'm just suggesting a possible workaround.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 04:51:01 pm »

Something related to mouse acceleration is a good guess.

Anyone else see this problem?

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 05:02:11 pm »

I'll look at the acceleration options but no other app has this problem.
Every place other than MC, 1 wheel click = 1 line scrolled no matter how fast I scroll the wheel.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 05:34:22 pm »

Sorry, Remy.  Which window?  Where are you when this happens?

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 07:42:15 pm »

I can confirm this, although I have seen it in other programs on occassion.

I use a microsft wheel mouse, which I have set to accelerate on faster scrolling, the next-to-fastest setting, and I have 1 line per click on normal scrolling.  With this setting, I should see normal scrolling when--I don't know, scrolling "normally", I guess, and accelerated scrolling when I. . .you get the picture.  Within Mozilla, I get a smooth scrolling under normal speeds, just as in MC.  But if I flick the wheel so it spins, this gets the page sailing off at high speed in Mozilla, which is what I want.

However, with MC, if you scroll faster, the page movement does slow down.  I saw this a year or two ago in Windows explorer, also.  At that time, you could get it to go in reverse, if you scrollied fast enough.

MC acts like its overloading from the scroll input.  The funny thing is, playing now is prone to just the kind of wild acceleration when dragging files that we WANT when scrolling.  If you could shift the bug from dragging-dropping to wheel scrolling, I think both parties would be happy.

ALSO:  I recall Datdude posting on this issue somewhere around v.290.  At the time, it didn't seem like a "showstopper", but I know there are a few of us who would like to see this improved.

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 07:48:36 pm »

Sorry, Remy.  Which window?  Where are you when this happens?

The track details mode list (no thumbnails) window whether in the library, playlists, etc.

More info...  When I scroll other scroll windows like the selection lists at the top of the Media Library or the tree, it scrolls normally (i.e. quickly).   It's just the main detail track info list list that misses the clicks.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 07:57:49 pm »

FWIW, accelerated scrolling has never worked for me in MC, no matter what window.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 10:27:26 pm »

Scrolling in MC is slow for me.  The CPU hit is there but I don't know about physically scrolling slow = faster scrolling .  IT is contstantly slow.  This is primarily in the Media Library and Playling now selection areas.  I have messed with all of the MS intellipoint settings like turning off accelerated scrolling, and nothing helps.  I have noticed several things about this issue.

- Scrolling on the scroll bar itself is faster but still not perfect.  Scrolling anywhere else is very slow.  2 -5 scrolls per revolution of the wheel(should be 15 - 20)

- If the number of viewable rows covers alot of vertical screen space, than it is slow.  If you shrink the number of viewable rows it speeds up dramatically.

- Track info/html templates that have scroll boxes are also slow

- Tree view scrolling is extremely smooth. The rest of MC needs to be like this.

-  All other programs on my computer are very smooth and fast at scrolling.

I can't remeber when this wasn't happening maybe MC 10?  However MC 11 is still a great product so I can deal with it.

Hope that helps.

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 12:31:57 am »

The track details mode list (no thumbnails) window whether in the library, playlists, etc.

More info...  When I scroll other scroll windows like the selection lists at the top of the Media Library or the tree, it scrolls normally (i.e. quickly).   It's just the main detail track info list list that misses the clicks.

Try making the the list panes very large from top to bottom and it slows down while the main detail track speeds up.  Either way it is still not smooth but at least a bit faster
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

RemyJ

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 09:23:37 am »

Try making the the list panes very large from top to bottom and it slows down while the main detail track speeds up.  Either way it is still not smooth but at least a bit faster

With only 10 lines showing in the details pane it definitely gets faster.  I.E.  1 wheel click = 1 line scrolled no matter how fast I flick the wheel.  I'm not seeing the list panes slow down though.  Still 1 wheel click = 1 line scrolled.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 04:44:10 pm »

As far as I can see it seems like MC ignores scroll wheel events while it is already processing a scroll wheel event, maybe in order to avoid a buildup of scroll events that will cause MC to keep scrolling long after the user stops turning the scroll wheel.

This means that in order to scroll as quickly as possible, you have to move the mouse wheel at a rate where a new scroll event comes in immediately after the last scroll event was generated.  If you move the scroll wheel slightly faster, the new scroll event will come in before MC has finished with the old one and you won't continue scrolling until the next event comes in.

Something like this:

Move slowly (in arbitrary time units):
0.00 first scroll event, MC starts scrolling
1.00 MC finishes scrolling
1.02 next scroll event, MC starts scrolling
2.02 MC finishes scrolling
2.04 next scroll event, MC starts scrolling
==> Scroll every 1.02 time units

Move slightly more quickly:
0.00 first scroll event, MC starts scrolling
0.95 next scroll event, ignored
1.00 MC finishes scrolling
1.90 next scroll event, MC starts scrolling
2.80 next scroll event, ignored
2.90 MC finishes scrolling
3.70 next scroll event, MC starts scrolling
==> scroll every 1.90 time units even though mouse wheel moved more quickly

I might be wrong, of course, but this is how it appears to me.

RemyJ

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 09:53:39 pm »

bump.

Any possibility of addressing this?  I'm having to train my thumb to scroll slower to get a quicker response from the list.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 09:06:06 am »

Remy,
We'd fix it if we could reproduce it.  Can you test with another mouse?

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 10:05:12 am »

I am seeing this as well with a Logitech LX 700 mouse.  MC will scroll 1 position per wheel "click" if I turn the wheel slowly, and 1 per several "clicks" if I turn it faster.  MC is the only application in which I have seen this occur.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 10:18:02 am »

The fact that a problem occurs only with MC does not rule out the possibility that the bug is elsewhere (OS or drivers).  It can just mean that MC triggers the condition that makes the bug appear.

The fact that you see it with a different mouse does make it seem more likely that it's an MC bug, but there are a lot of strange things that happen on computers.  This entire thread is devoted to MC problems that turned out not to be MC problems:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

It still may be our bug.  We just can't reproduce it.

Try different OS settings for the mouse.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 04:16:33 pm »

Jim,  Here's what I have tried:

Changed the number of lines scrolled per wheel movement - up and down fromt he default of 3.  Changed Speed and Acceleration from "OS Implementation" to "SetPoint Implementation" and back (and tried various scoll wheel setting in each state.  I experience this problem with all those settings.

Any suggestions on what to try next?  There seems to be a very limited number of things I can change regarding the mouse wheel.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 04:39:05 pm »

Did you try no acceleration?

Sorry, but I'm stumped.  Maybe I just don't understand the problem, but I can't see anything wrong.

Do you both run XP?

jgreen

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 05:37:52 pm »

JimH--
I also posted on this bug when it came up.  I do believe that MC11 misses the "accelerated scrolling" event under "wheel" in "Mouse Properties".  However, it does seem to  pick up all other mouse events, including the option to scroll x lines at a time.  MC will successfully scroll at lightning speed if you change this option to something like 30, vs 1.

And I agree it is not necessarily limited to MC, but I am betting it is a simple adjustment to make it work, once it's found.

Win2k SP4, all updates.  MS wired optical mouse, intellipoint.

RemyJ

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 07:58:18 pm »

We'll I've got a plain old MS wired Intellipoint mouse with the standard drivers.

When I use Microsoft Spy++ from the Visual Studio .NET suite to spy on all other programs, I see 1 WM_SCROLLWHEEL message posted per wheel click no matter how fast or slow I scroll the wheel.

When I spy on the details pane in MC, I see 1 WM_MOUSEWHEEL message posted (status P) and 1 WM_MOUSEWHEEL result (status R) for each click if I scroll one click at a time.  If I scroll the wheel 10 clicks quickly, I only see 2 pairs of messages processed and only 2 lines of window scroll.

I don't know what else to tell you other than...  I only see the the result messages in MC.  For all other programs I see only the single posted WM_MOUSEWHEEL message.  and... MC still uses more CPU for scrolling than than any other application I've EVER used.  It'e even more pronounced when spying.   Spying on other apps didn't change their responsiveness or CPU utilization one bit.

----------------------

Media Center Registered 11.0.308 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Server 5.2 Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
Intel Pentium 4 2381 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 649 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.3790.1830 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.3790.2440 (srv03_sp1_gdr.050506-1520) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive D: SONY    DVD RW DRU-530A   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     DVD RW DRU-530A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 09:06:38 pm »

XP Pro, SP2.

I do not have an accelerated scrolling setting anywhere in the mouse control panel applet or in the Logitech settings.  In fact, I only have 2 settings for the wheel:  x lines at a time (tried at 2, 3 and 4), and one screen at a time (which is turned off).

Here are my details:
Media Center Registered 11.0.310 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2203 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 524 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2668 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050430-1553) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive Y: YAMAHA  CRW-F1E           Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Z:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive Y: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 3:2:0  Speed:44  MaxSpeed:44  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive Z: Memorex  DVD+/-RW Dual-X1   Addr: 3:3:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
Pages: [1]   Go Up