INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want To Upgrade From v10 to 11  (Read 1661 times)

TheMan2

• I'm Just Hanging Around
Want To Upgrade From v10 to 11
« on: July 16, 2005, 05:03:32 pm »

What is the upgrade price for M/C 11, i am useing v10... something..
I was sent an e-mail with a upgrade price of around $25.00 and deleted the e-mail link by mistake how do i get the link to get this upgrade option??

Any help?

I am wanting to do this NOW.....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Want To Upgrade From v10 to 11
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 05:28:19 pm »

The third thread from the top of this board has the info you need.

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 05:57:47 pm »

Just Download MC11 and install it. (you don't have to uninstall MC10). Once installed, go to Help>purchase and it should give you the upgrade price.

Also, once MC11 is installed, don't point MC11 to the MC10 Backup files to restore the library, it will convert them for use in MC11 and you won't be able to use them in MC10 anymore should you want to go back for some reason.

Instead, copy your backup files from the MC10 folder to: Documents & Settings>Administrator>Application Data(you have unhide hidden folders)>J River>Media Center 11>Library Backups. Then do a library restore from there.

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 06:51:58 pm »

Also, once MC11 is installed, don't point MC11 to the MC10 Backup files to restore the library, it will convert them for use in MC11 and you won't be able to use them in MC10 anymore should you want to go back for some reason.

You mean to the actual "files" and not the "backup" files that MC creates (which are .zip files) correct?

Thanks for clarification,

Larry

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 07:47:35 pm »

Also, once MC11 is installed, don't point MC11 to the MC10 Backup files to restore the library

I mean the zip files. Copy the MC10 backup zip files to Docs & settings etc, Media Center 11, Library Backups.

It's the contents of those zip files that get converted to MC11 and once converted are no longer bacwards compatible.
Jay.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 11:20:38 pm »

I mean the zip files. Copy the MC10 backup zip files to Docs & settings etc, Media Center 11, Library Backups.

It's the contents of those zip files that get converted to MC11 and once converted are no longer bacwards compatible.

Sorry for my continued confusion on this, but are you saying that MC11 actually changes the zip file itself?  This doesn't make sense to me, since when you use the zip file to restore, it should create new library files FROM the zip file and leave the zip file itself alone.  Why would MC11 alter the zip file that the library files are "coming from" rather than just convert their contents as it is copied into the MC11 library?

Thanks again,

Larry

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 11:59:52 am »

I don't know why, (I'm not advanced enuff). All I know is that when I have restored an MC10 Library Backup Zip file to MC11, if I try to use that same zip file to restore the library in MC10 it no longer works. As a matter of fact it can cause MC10 to crash.

While MC 10 & 11 can co-exist on the same computer, they have to be completely independent. Anything from MC10 you want to use in MC11 must be copied to the MC11 folders before you an make use of it in MC11.

Maybe someone with more technical knowhow can explain it better.
Jay.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 02:40:45 pm »

I don't know why, (I'm not advanced enuff). All I know is that when I have restored an MC10 Library Backup Zip file to MC11, if I try to use that same zip file to restore the library in MC10 it no longer works. As a matter of fact it can cause MC10 to crash.

Did you check the save date of the zip file to see if it had definitely changed when you opened it with MC11?  Did you try this with more than one file (you could use copies in order to avoid losing they're functionality with MC10)?  The reason I ask is because it "could" be that the MC11 install is somehow interfering with MC10 opening it's own backups.  It just strikes me as odd that MC11 would "alter" the original backup file when restoring.  Having the restore process make ANY changes to the backup file is an extremely bad concept from a "saftey" point of view.  What if something went wrong with the actual restore process?  If the backup file is altered by the process and something goes wrong, you lose the backup itself.  This is just a bad methodology for a process that is a safety feature -- it would make much more sense for MC11 to make changes to the data as it's being imported into it's library.  I would be surprised if MC11 was built to do what you're experiencing.  It seems more likely that something is preventing MC10 from restoring up it's own file.

Larry

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 08:12:27 pm »

I know from reading here that the 2 databases work differently and that MC11 is not backwards compatible with any previous MC databases.

It may be when restoring MC11 from the MC10 backup folder something happens to MC10 and not the zip files themselves or both. All I know is that if I do that, I can no longer restore MC10 from the MC10 backup files, as a matter of fact, I have to reinstall MC10 and replace the backup folder from my external backup of MC10 as the the original zip files still don't work after reinstallation of MC10.

I ahve gotton used to copying the MC10 backups to MC11 because I run MC10 on my carputer, (MC11 uses too many cpu resources for my little old IBM carputer) and do most of my tagging and importing in MC10, since it doesn't work the other way around.
Jay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up