INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: views using dates?  (Read 863 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
views using dates?
« on: July 23, 2005, 01:19:24 pm »

Don't know if I'm doing this right but when creating a View Scheme what are the various Date fields supposed to contain?

I'd hoped to create a tree based on the filename's Date Created.  As in: year\month\day\artist\trackname.mp3

But when I use the Standard View item for "Date (day)"  or the others the tree only shows "Unassigned" at that level. 

Then there's a whole bunch that are showing up as "Unassigned" as if they had no date at all? 

And what is a "filename friendly" date?  That only ends up showing '20040101-000000' and '20050101-000000'

So I'm assuming either the functions here are broken or the values they're using haven't been set.  I'm guessing the latter?  If so, how does one correlate the actual timestamp on the file itself into the database?

When looking at the Tag Info panel I can see there are valid creation and modification dates located under the 'File Info' section.  Are these values accessible in a view scheme or in a smart playlist?

For things like tracks from podcasts it's going to be rather important to be able to properly handle the timestamps.  This isn't to say it'll be perfect as a great many podcasts completely fail to set decent metadata on their tracks, let alone in the feeds themselves. 

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: views using dates?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 01:58:59 pm »

But when I use the Standard View item for "Date (day)"  or the others the tree only shows "Unassigned" at that level. 

Then there's a whole bunch that are showing up as "Unassigned" as if they had no date at all?

The "Date (Year)", Date (Month)" & "Date (Day)" are calculated fields from the "Date" field

And what is a "filename friendly" date?  That only ends up showing '20040101-000000' and '20050101-000000'

'20040101-000000' = [yyyy][mm][dd]-[time]

yyyy=year
mm=month
dd=day

So I'm assuming either the functions here are broken or the values they're using haven't been set.  I'm guessing the latter?

yep

If so, how does one correlate the actual timestamp on the file itself into the database?

Select ur songs...right click and select LIBRARY TOOLS > MOVE / COPY FIELDS...

For source select "Date Created"
For destination select "Date"
For action select "Copy (Leave Source)"
Press ok

This should make the view scheme u created work
Pages: [1]   Go Up