INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.310  (Read 9863 times)

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Media Center 11.0.310
« on: July 27, 2005, 03:04:24 pm »

Media Center 11.0 has been released.  PRICES are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:  Post bugs you are certain about here.  Anything else will be moved or deleted.  If you can't find your post here, please look in the main index.

The latest version is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110310.exe

The stable Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/download/music/MediaCenter.exe

11.0.310: (7/27/05)

1. Fixed: Improved Aruba skin.
2. Fixed: COM Out of Proc would not start Media Center when Media Center was sharing from another library.
3. Fixed: COM Out of Proc would cause Media Center to exit badly.

11.0.309: (7/14/05)

1. Fixed: JPEGs larger than 64MegaPixels will now display.
2. Fixed: DLink DSM-320 will now autodetect correctly.
3. Fixed: /Connect parameter had spurious "|" appended.

11.0.308: (7/13/05)

1. Fixed: Changing cover art for files when cover art not stored within the files will not cause the file to be rewritten.

New or Improved in MC 11

New database caching layer that makes many parts of MC significantly faster
Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing
CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
Many Theater View enhancements
Split views allow you to look at two or more views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
MC now works with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
Added multi-zone synchronization
Added Album Gain support
Document support with full text searching / indexing
Pane auto-sizing
Tile view allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
New Image Editor
Enhanced album grouping for pictures so session pictures are grouped automatically
Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
Video CD playback support
Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
ATI HDTV card support with recording and time shifting
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 support
UPnP device support for playback through a home theater system
Audible.com Store -- full integration (downloads, playback, bookmarks, etc.)
Sony PSP support
iPod -- Support for multiple iPods with different profiles
New file format -- Shockwave (SWF)
RAW image support (crw,cr2,nef,mrw,orf,raf,pef,dng,srf)
Multi-channel support (5.1, 7.1, etc.) for WAV and WMA files.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re: Media Center 11.0.310
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 03:23:52 am »

If I try installing this version I get a dialog window near the end of the unpacking progress window, which says

"Errors encountered while performing the operation
Look at the information window for more details"

Click OK on the error dialog, and it leaves the initial setup window hanging...

Cheers
Rob

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 05:42:26 am »

I got that error message too - re-downloaded the file, tried again and it worked fine. You might want to try that.

John.

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 01:31:58 pm »

I reported this problem before in a previous release. After installing 310 since it was first released and playing files since then, I just got this message and MC died:

What's up?

Jeff

Media Center Registered 11.0.310 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1460 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 57 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1612 (xpsp2.041207-1145) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1643 (xpsp2.050311-1242) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: LG      CD-RW CED-8080B   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: LG       CD-RW CED-8080B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Jeff

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 05:05:52 pm »

Playback of Audible files still has issues.  When navigating to a different part of a title, the previous section continues to play for several seconds before jumping to the new section, and sometimes an "intermediate" section will play for a bit before jumping to the spot you actually navigated to.  If you navigate several times, the track will stop playing all together -- it must be "stopped" and restarted, at which time the bookmark is lost.  Also, when going back to a track that had been stopped (i.e. when returning to a bookmark), the beginning of the track plays for a bit before jumping to the bookmark, which creates a rather messy, "confusing" start.

None of these issues existed with MC10, which had much smoother playback functionality with Audible files.

There are also some issues with some of MC11's "new" Audible features, like the fact that you cannot add your previous/existing Audible content to MC11's "Audible" list -- only "newly downloaded" content is added to this list, and the field that this list uses cannot be edited.  This effectively makes the Audible "section" of MC11 useless to me since I want to have all of my Audible content in one spot.

Thanks,

Larry

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 05:28:39 pm »

Using MC 11.0.309.  MC playback seems to not play the next song in a playlist at times.   I will see the play button indicated with the 'pause' symbol which means it should be playing.  This is happening randomly.  Sometimes a song will be playing and I choose a new song to play by double clicking and the new song will show in the display area but will not play.  It also happens when clicking next as well.  The only way to get out of this 'mode' is to click the 'pause' symbol button which then plays it.  Go figure.   At other times MC works perfectly.  I haven't seen this reported by anyone else but it is happening more frequently on my system.

Any Ideas?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 07:46:23 pm »

Using MC 11.0.309.  MC playback seems to not play the next song in a playlist at times.   I will see the play button indicated with the 'pause' symbol which means it should be playing.  This is happening randomly.  Sometimes a song will be playing and I choose a new song to play by double clicking and the new song will show in the display area but will not play.  It also happens when clicking next as well.  The only way to get out of this 'mode' is to click the 'pause' symbol button which then plays it.  Go figure.   At other times MC works perfectly.  I haven't seen this reported by anyone else but it is happening more frequently on my system.

Now that you mention it, I see the same thing here occasionally.

Media Center Registered 11.0.310 -- c:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

6.0  (Build 5112)
Intel Pentium 4 2671 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 586 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5112.0 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (winmain_beta1.050720-1600) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.5112.0 (winmain_beta1.050720-1600) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.5112.0 (winmain_beta1.050720-1600) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: SONY     CD-RW  CRX220E1    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 11:31:44 pm »

smartlists are really messed up and have been for a while.
Why is it that i have to put a new rule in every single smartlist to tell it to ignore the removable files in the library? I never used to have to do that.

Recently it even populates the smartlist with files which are on the ipod, which are disconnected and so of course dont play. No rule i make will stop these ipod files from entering the smartlist. (-[Removable]==1  excludes the cds but not the ipod songs)

This means that i have to go into playing now every time and delete all the files i dont want to be played.

Sauzee

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 06:35:06 am »

smartlists are really messed up and have been for a while.
Why is it that i have to put a new rule in every single smartlist to tell it to ignore the removable files in the library? I never used to have to do that.

Recently it even populates the smartlist with files which are on the ipod, which are disconnected and so of course dont play. No rule i make will stop these ipod files from entering the smartlist. (-[Removable]==1  excludes the cds but not the ipod songs)

This means that i have to go into playing now every time and delete all the files i dont want to be played.

Not sure what is going on there. My smartlists don't include removeable files.

chrisjj

When  on MCV11 with installation defaults, I drag seemingly any approx 2s log WAV to Playing Now and click Play, I get variously:

1 "Media Center has encountered a problem and needs to
close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.", or

2 Hang, or

3 an approx 150ms segment looped, with an odd echo, often followed by hang.

Another user has reproduced this. 3 happens also with a 7s file.

With "Switch tracks: Gapless", this doesn't happen.

Is this a known bug? Is it due for fixing?

Marty3d

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 04:55:05 pm »

Bugs:
  • The Display portion of MC doesn't remember its last state, for example Cover Art after quitting MC. When starting up, MC shows Image instead.
  • Tagging a mp3, pausing for a couple of minutes and playing again will result in an error when the next song starts, stating that MC couldn't tag the file. This one has been around forever...almost anyway.

/Martin

timothyc

• Recent member
Import crashes
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 09:41:25 pm »

Media Center 11.0.310 has been frequently crashing (with the "needs to close" message) when importing a 2100-song FLAC library.  With previous versions, imports of these files worked most of the time. This evening, MC is crashing on file #264, but there seems to be no practical way to determine which file is, in fact, 264.  Earlier today, at least there was a partial library that helped track down the "bad" file.  This time around, nothing.

Clearly, MC needs a better error handling routine for imports. If the problem is a bad tag (which I suspect) then at least skip it or flag it somehow?  If it helps, one MC killer (in Flac files, anyway) seems to be two tags of the same type, such as two genre or two date tags.

scthom

Re: Import crashes
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 09:58:14 pm »

Media Center 11.0.310 has been frequently crashing (with the "needs to close" message) when importing a 2100-song FLAC library.  With previous versions, imports of these files worked most of the time. This evening, MC is crashing on file #264, but there seems to be no practical way to determine which file is, in fact, 264.  Earlier today, at least there was a partial library that helped track down the "bad" file.  This time around, nothing.

Clearly, MC needs a better error handling routine for imports. If the problem is a bad tag (which I suspect) then at least skip it or flag it somehow?  If it helps, one MC killer (in Flac files, anyway) seems to be two tags of the same type, such as two genre or two date tags.

While I can't say for sure what is causing the crash, I don't think it is the inclusion of multiple tags with the same name.  Oblong's decoder plugin (I assume this is the decoder you are using since it's the only one at the moment) will just use the first one and skip the rest.

Most likely it is an overflow of some of his internal buffers.  Not to be too technical, but I noticed that some of the fields are "int" in his plugin but are "unsigned int" in the FLAC specification.  This sort of thing.  While it probably works for most files, there will likely be some that overflow.

I haven't heard from Oblong here in a while, so I assume he is not working on any updates to his plugin.  In the mean time, my only suggestion would be to not import all the files at once.

timothyc

• Recent member
More on import crashes
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 09:59:18 pm »

Just tried another import of my FLAC file libary.  This time, it crashed on file number 16.  Rebooted Windows.  Then it crashed on file 265.  Not sure what to do at this point.  

timothyc

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 10:03:11 pm »

Thanks Scthom.  I'll try the smaller import group idea.  Maybe Oblong will resurface.

stoneage

• Change this by choosing profile
Audigy 2Zs with Media Center
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 05:54:53 am »

I got strange problem with playback music in Media Center.
When im listening music the first track is ok but the next track got sound like from well, or only one speaker is playing.

I got 5.1 speakers and in DSP 5.1 sound is on.
I got latest drivers from creative.
There is no problem in other players

Sauzee

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 07:32:40 pm »

MC is not writing tag changes to ogg files

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 08:25:18 pm »

I can not enable scroll bar anymore, for me it's been the last couple of builds installed.

Sauzee

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 08:30:52 pm »

The often reported MC thumbnail bug still exists where MC does not produce thumnails for some mp3 files which have  internal cover art.  This has been buggy as far back as I can remember with MC 11.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 08:55:43 pm »

right click files in explorer and "add to playing now" and WMP10 launches instead. (this is the case for divx AVIs I just tried)

outofspace7

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Im using Opera 10 browser! www.opera.com
Re: Audigy 2Zs with Media Center
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 03:50:20 am »

I got strange problem with playback music in Media Center.
When im listening music the first track is ok but the next track got sound like from well, or only one speaker is playing.

I got very similar problem with Audigy2 and MC
outofspace

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 08:22:15 am »

MC 11.0.310 hangs completely when connecting to my Creative Zen Micro MP3 player, even after reseting handheld devices:

* Start MC 11.0.310 with no handheld devices detected.
* Connect Zen Micro to USB.
* MC recognizes player and asks if I want to add it.
* After clicking OK MC displays "Initializing Device" and then, after a long pause, "Retrieving File Info".

MC hangs completely at this point. No response, even after letting it sit for over an hour. Only recourse is to kill it with Task Manager. After this failed connect attempt there are 3 new files on my Micro with the filenames "MC". All ID3 tags on these files are set to "Unknown". This is completely repeatable. I tried reinstalling 11.0.310 with the same result. The official release version of MC11 exhibits none of this behavior (I reinstalled it after confirming this problem) - recognizes, connects to, reads file info from, and transfers files to my Zen A-OK.

Windows XP SP2
Zen Micro firmware v1.11.01

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 10:12:47 am »

dpippel,

MC 11 is designed to run with the latest Micro firmware. We recommend that you update your firmware. If you do not want to do that, you can make MC compatible by going to your MC\Data\Default Resources folder and then open the PDT.xml file.  Find the entry for Zen Micro and chance the 'Type' entry from 2 to 1. This will fix your issue, but if you update MC or reinstall you will need to redo this fix.

Steve

221bBS

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 01:29:17 pm »

right click files in explorer and "add to playing now" and WMP10 launches instead. (this is the case for divx AVIs I just tried)

I thinks thats WMP10 feature

to do that with MC u 1st need to go to Options (Ctrl + O) > Genteral...under "Shell Options" select "Enable Shell Intergation"

Now when u right-click on a file in explore there should be "Media Center" command that opens a sub-menu...

timothyc

• Recent member
More on FLAC import problem, also UPnP question
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 05:35:44 pm »

I've played around some more with reading smaller subsets of the folder containing the 2,000 files, but the crashes are relatively random.  I think something changed in MC in the latest build that triggers faulty imports with the FLAC plug-in. An earlier build of MC11 read the same library with no problems.  Maybe this additional info will help.  The latest "released" build of MC is useless for me now, unfortunately, unless I convert everything to another format, which I don't want to do.

Another topic: any chance of seeing additional transcode formats on the UPnP server?  Since WAV was removed, there is no way to stream lossless of any kind.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 09:15:51 pm »

MC 11 is designed to run with the latest Micro firmware. We recommend that you update your firmware. If you do not want to do that, you can make MC compatible by going to your MC\Data\Default Resources folder and then open the PDT.xml file.  Find the entry for Zen Micro and chance the 'Type' entry from 2 to 1. This will fix your issue, but if you update MC or reinstall you will need to redo this fix.
Thanks for the tip Steve. I am, however, running the latest version of the Zen Micro firmware. If you're thinking of v2.11.02, it was actually released *before* v1.11.01 and lacks many of it's fixes. Creative has two different firmware paths for the Mirco: v2.xx.x is for PlayForSure/WMA10 support only, and v1.xx.x is for everyone else.

At any rate, I found it interesting that the release version of MC11 works fine with my Micro. It wasn't "broken" until I installed 11.0.310.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Audigy 2Zs with Media Center
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 10:59:36 pm »

When Media Center 11.0.310 starts on the Start Page, if I use the plus symbols to drop down my media library, and then double click on a genre to start playing now, Media Center Jumps to playing now, starts playing the files, but the typical Windows error report message comes up and closes when I pick a button on the error message.

I got very similar problem with Audigy2 and MC + I got strange problem with playback music in Media Center.

I'm also getting this problem with my Creative Audigy 2 ZS. 11.0.309 seemed a bit buggy too.
Thanks!

221bBS

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 09:08:47 am »

When I have Options > Tree & View > Sorting > Sort By Track # For Single Albums enabled, MC will not sort if "disc #" is fill and has duplicate "track #"

MC doesn't sort "disc #" field correctly if some of the "disc #" field is empty

When I have "Disc #" field filled and have duplicate "track #" MC will consider the album incomplete in the "Album Type" field

SteveG

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 12:14:27 pm »

dpippel,

I should clarify that MC is set to work by default with the MTP firmware on Micro. My previous recommendation is to get MC to recognize Micro with non MTP firmware.

Steve

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
  • Being is Important......... being important is not
Que Pasa?
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 08:25:53 pm »

There has been only three fixes posted in almost 3 weeks..... BTW where did Matt go, it was good to see the 5-10 fixes a day(or at least every couple of days). Im not complaining, for that matter none of the bugs posted in this thread have really affected me, I was just kinda wondering what was going on.

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2005, 09:46:03 am »

One addtional problem that continues also, when you first start out and you can see your album, which it changes songs, the bar doesn't move down to display the next album cover for the playing song.

Skylar  ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2005, 04:35:10 am »

MC supports the ID3v2 tag Original Artist (= TOPE). However, the field is not available in the Library Fields list by default (Options > Library). It should be added.

The details are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29081.0

I wonder if other supported ID3v2 standard tags are unnecessarily missing from the default list. That should be checked and the fields added.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2005, 09:48:18 am »

In library fields the field duration cannot be edited. In previous versions this field could be edited, say to "time". any chance of rectifying this bug in the next build.

thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2005, 10:06:30 am »

In library fields the field duration cannot be edited. In previous versions this field could be edited, say to "time".

You can change the displayed name in Tools > Options > Library > Library Fields > Edit. After that you need to remove the old "Duration" column in View > Customize Current View and add the new column.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 05:20:38 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up