INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Play For Sure"  (Read 1348 times)

dswan

"Play For Sure"
« on: July 28, 2005, 11:10:08 am »

I am using Media center 11. Yesterday I purchased a CD by Buddy Jewell - Times Like These. No Where on the package was the notification "Play For Sure". The CD comes with it's own player. I am allowed to make three copies of the disk and to burn it to my hard drive. It shows up under Windows Media Center 10 but will not show up in J River 11. This problem must be addressed. I spoke with Microsoft and told them of the situation and their response was to use Windows Media Center 10. I told them that I did not like their program and wanted to use J River 11. They said it could not be done as the files are OMA files. I told them to "Jam it". I intend to sell my considerable amount of Microsoft stock and may go to Linux. Anyway, it seems to be unfair and monopolizing the CD market if their player is the only one that works. I can't even transfer files to my Creative Zen Extra. I prefer MP3@320kbs but all I can do with Microsoft is 128kbs in WAV format. You guys need to resilve this monopoly so I can use your player exclusively. Let me know what you can do cause I'm really irate with Microsoft. Thank You. All replies would be appreciated and if this "Play For Sure" catches on your player won't be worth having.

sonicbox

• Recent member
Re: "Play For Sure"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 11:19:45 am »

This is not a Microsoft problem or a "monopoly issue."  This is the content provider forcing copy protection down your throat.  You are complaining to the wrong people.  The record label is at fault.  Don't purchase discs that are copy protected if you don't like it.  (It should say it's copy protected on the case somewhere.)  This system is one of the compromise DRM solutions, and isn't the worst out there.

Anyway, stupid copy protection on most audio discs can easily be bypassed.  You should be able to find  a solution that will work for you elsewhere.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 11:29:40 am »

Returning the disk might deliver the message you want.

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 01:16:11 pm »

You can thank Sony for this, all part of their ongoing war against their own customers.  The good news is that Sony apparently has a policy in place for providing a workaround to customers who complain.  How and where you complain is not clear.  But if you google "sony drm" you'll get several engadget articles discussing this.  Also, the sony drm is PC-only, so if you have access to a Mac you can play and digitize it without restriction.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 06:07:42 pm »

I've had this occur a couple times.  In each case I simply emailed the publisher and complained.  They sent a non DRM version of the CD to my home at no charge.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 03:42:50 pm »

This is only doing one thing: Encouraging illegal downloading of music! I may not be able to copy that album, but I can assure you that there's an army of 14 year olds who do!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up