INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT- Windows Vista (Longhorn)  (Read 2888 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
OT- Windows Vista (Longhorn)
« on: July 31, 2005, 01:28:50 pm »

Installed Vista to play a bit.
The huge (2 Gb!) install DVD didn't have support for my graphics card (NVidia FX 5900), my sound card (Audigy 2), or my onboard NIC (3 COM). However I had Vista drivers for the video and the XP drivers worked for the NIC and the Audigy 2.

The new 'look' is ok and one thing it does is to scale different windows. So, the installer windows actually have readable font sizes without changing the default sizes.

Not real impressed with the transparent look to the windows, but I guess it's ok.

IE 7 does some things well but it is certainly not finished. For example while you can 'open in new tab' from a URL on a page, you can't do that from 'Favorites'.

Didn't get to the bottom of it, but some apps I have want to unpack a rarfx then run from there. Several of them failed, the files were simply not in the temp directory, in fact the temp path was not there when I looked. If I unpacked manually all was well.

My Documents has been renamed Documents, My Music is Music, you get the idea. There are 'Virtual Folders' but no documentation on them. Didn't seem to work during my short stay.

Finally, the deal breaker to me was that MC 11 would install and run fine but the Direct-X Host plugin is broken. I can install it, I can open it, but the Insert DX Plugin or Chain window only shows the tiny little 'x's with no plugin info.

Most apps I tried installed and ran, but were affected in some way.

Just thought I'd save someone the effort...

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Re: OT- Windows Vista (Longhorn)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 07:46:28 pm »

I think vista thing is a failure move for microsoft.
they are just releasing some of the features of Mac Os X Tiger and Linux but of course to late
i think they are trying to attract back the users who switched to linux and Mac. but of course they couldn't because Mac and linux are both more stable and doesn't even crash and also faster.
the beauty side is the longhorn replaced name which is "Vista" I think it really reveals the dolly side of bill gates :).
internet explorer also will not bring back firefox users, and thats a real fact.
Tamer

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 07:49:42 pm »

My Documents has been renamed Documents, My Music is Music, you get the idea.
That alone is worth the money.

Thanks for the report.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 04:39:47 pm »

Well, we all know what's coming: The doors to DRM hell will be opened by a preacher hanging himself above the 7th gate to... No wait, that was City of the Living Dead! Sorry, I keep mixing Micro$oft's legal department and flesh eating zombies...don't know why... ;)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 05:03:45 pm »

I liked "Don't Open The Window" (A Zombie Movie), Me And Sue Seen That And The Exorcist The Day We Got Married At A Drive In, Near WildWood NJ (It Was a Double Feature) the Drive-In movie theater is no longer there but the memory lives on.

My head was in her lap during the Exorcist since i don't like movies like that, it scared me.

Big Brother and Bill scares me a bit too
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 05:04:59 pm »

they are just releasing some of the features of Mac Os X Tiger and Linux but of course to late

You need to read a little more.  Vista is the next step in the move to totally managed code and more than just an evolutionary step.  I agree that MS is behind the 8-ball and expect we'll see all kinds of speculation, but the fact is, MS is committed to some very serious advancements and they really have no choice but to deliver.

GHammer, keep in mind, this is just beta1 and if you follow the (beta) newsgroups and blogs, you've not doubt seen that IE7 has a long way to go and that beta2 has a huge list of items coming.

Also, does your video card even support LDDM = Longhorn Display Driver Model?  Again, look for Beta2 for the interface stuff to come out.

I can't believe I'm defending MS here, I really don't mean to, I'm trying to be somewhat objective.

Yeah, I've switched to Firefox/Thunderbird and Maxthon, but FF is not exactly the most stable browser and THunderbird is full of bugs.  Point is, nothing's perfect (certainly not Linux or OSX or XP) but that's what gives the zealots something to argue about.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

EpF

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 07:41:09 pm »

Quote from: GHammer on 31/07/05, 19:28
My Documents has been renamed Documents, My Music is Music, you get the idea.

Thanks for the report.

LoL!  I know what you mean! 

However, you can do it yourself using TweakUI from the windows xp powertoys.  I used it to set up my 'my documents' folders on an entirely seperate drive from my OS, as well as getting rid of the oh-so-cute 'my' prefix!

;)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 10:10:19 pm »

GHammer, keep in mind, this is just beta1 and if you follow the (beta) newsgroups and blogs, you've not doubt seen that IE7 has a long way to go and that beta2 has a huge list of items coming.

Also, does your video card even support LDDM = Longhorn Display Driver Model?  Again, look for Beta2 for the interface stuff to come out.

Yeah, the drivers for the Video card support LDDM as does the card.

Let's just say I'm not overly impressed with what can be seen from Beta 1 even with the addition of the FX runtime.

Beta 2 will be more interesting I'm sure.

My main reason for running it is to see what may be when it is released. I didn't have as many problems with apps with early versions of XP.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 05:36:50 am »

So Can You Un-Install The Beta, Or Do You Need To Re-Install Windows XP?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 09:51:55 am »

Well, you could create a new partition and use some tool to boot one or the other. Native dual boot is not working with the beta.

Or you can create an image of your XP installation then format the partition and install Vista. When you are done looking around, restore your image.

That's what I did. Takes about 2 minutes to create the image and about 10 to restore it.

Much easier than install XP, patch, install apps...

I will likely make the dual boot changes when Beta 2 is released. But right now not enough reason to even have it installed for me.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 10:32:52 am »

Or even better: Two harddrives in the PC, and then set up the boot drive in BIOS, or even just pull the power plug on the drive you won't be booting from.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 11:01:59 am »

Or even better: Two harddrives in the PC, and then set up the boot drive in BIOS, or even just pull the power plug on the drive you won't be booting from.

Yep, one day I have to get modern and lose the 40 Gb boot drive I have. I have no room for extra drives in the case, and I know that USB2 boot is SLOW.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a whole new system. Motherboard, videocard, CPU, memory, drives. I can save the one SATA 160 Gb, but all others should go.

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 01:17:46 pm »

Dual boot of Windows Vista works perfectly.  I can start xp or Vista like I it straight want

Vista does install the following folder C:\windows and C:\user (that is old profiles the folder Documents and Settings.)

Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 01:25:50 pm »

There is unfortunately a problem with Vista and Media center 11.
mc11 want compelling a old version of the media time load and install although the componente of Vista is newer and current be (pre beta windows media player 11)

Thanks for the report.
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 02:42:51 pm »

Dual boot of Windows Vista works perfectly.  I can start xp or Vista like I it straight want

Must be a beta thing then.
I was given a warning and told that my Windows directory and Program Files would be moved to windows.old

And sure enough, they were.
Pages: [1]   Go Up