INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playback problem with aac files...sometimes  (Read 989 times)

trott

• World Citizen
playback problem with aac files...sometimes
« on: August 09, 2005, 05:32:01 pm »

Hey all,

I have encountered this problem with every pre-release version of MC11 I tried and also now in the final version. When playing back aac files (encoded with nero aac using the streaming profile, average bitrate is about 160 kbit/s) I regularly get 'pauses' in playback. This almost always happens when I, eg, am playing a file and then hover the mouse over a track in the playlist. it takes a long while for the pop-up window with the track info to come up and while it's doing this, I have no sound.

Even more annoying is the fact that sometimes sound output just stops on aac files. a pause/unpause does not help, but a stop/play restores the sound.

I have to add that this does not happen when using mp3 files...I realise that playback of aac files is done through quicktime, but the same thing goes for itunes...(which has pretty lousy library handling but does play aac content without hiccups...)

Media center just feels less 'responsive' when playing back aac content...and this on 2 different machines, one of them having been cleanly installed mainly to cure this problem.

Anybody else with the same problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: playback problem with aac files...sometimes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 05:59:07 pm »

Nero AAC is not supported.   We use the Quicktime playback engine to play AAC.  Can you play them with QT?

trott

• World Citizen
Re: playback problem with aac files...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 04:01:13 am »

I can play them without problems in itunes, which also uses quicktime.
I just tried updating to quicktime 7 and the problem is still present...
1) queue up a number of aac files
2) start playing them
3) hover the mouse over a playlist entry.

and you get a small skip in playback...

I would have thought that playing back an aac file would not be dependent on what encoder was used to create it...or not?
Pages: [1]   Go Up