INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changes in MC since 10.173  (Read 1514 times)

ananta108

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Never was there a time when I did not exist
Changes in MC since 10.173
« on: August 18, 2005, 04:27:31 am »

Hi all

Where can I read about them to decide if I shall upgrade to MC 11

Thanks

Ananta

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Changes in MC since 10.173
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:07:11 am »

There's lots of new stuff! You shoulld download and install it for free for 30 days and try it out.  10 and 11 can co-exist on the same computer.

One precaution: copy your backup data (library & jmd files) into MC11 and then restore the library, rather than restoring MC11 directly from MC10.

Copy MC10 jmd files to Docs & Settings>Administrator>Application Data (unhide hidden folders)>J River>Media Center 11 and the Library Backup one directory further in Library Backups.

Enjoy!

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 08:47:27 am »

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/comparison.html

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/features.html

I was going to post the links above, but they don't do justice to all the bugs And The Speed enhancements that have been fixed.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 11:46:44 am »

You can check out:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/imjustagamer/MC11His.txt

Sadly this only goes up to build 201... I lost the ability to post anything new to my website....

But it will have the majority of the good stuff in it.
-

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 02:46:44 pm »

One precaution: copy your backup data (library & jmd files) into MC11 and then restore the library, rather than restoring MC11 directly from MC10.

Copy MC10 jmd files to Docs & Settings>Administrator>Application Data (unhide hidden folders)>J River>Media Center 11 and the Library Backup one directory further in Library Backups.

Isn't it easier to backup the library in MC 10, then Restore that backup in MC 11 ?

I tried that, i think Alex had posted instructions on this long time back and it worked fine.

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 10:24:29 pm »

Isn't it easier to backup the library in MC 10, then Restore that backup in MC 11 ?

For me, if I do as you say, (which would be the logical thing), when I go back to MC10 and try to play or restore from that same MC10 backup file that was used to restore MC11, MC10 tells me the file is corrupt and can't read it and crashes.

Evidently MC11 is doing something to the MC10 zip file when I restore from it.

I end up having to delete that backup file from MC10, reinstalling MC10 before it will behave properly again. And then of course I have rebuild whatever data was lost by going back to an older backup, (fortunately, I backup almost every day).

I have to keep MC10 running because that's what my carputer uses - it doesn't have the oomph to  run MC11

Both MCs are default express installations and everything is where it should be.

If anybody's got any ideas, I'd sure welcome them, because basically, I end up using MC10 to do all my ripping and tagging, (so the backups are compatable with the carputer) and have to copy those backups over to MC11 to update everytime, instead of restoring directly from the MC10 zip file.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 02:05:13 am »

I do periodic library backups to a different partition on a different drive, to the one that MC is installed on. This is safer since in case i lose the apps partition at least my library is safe (upto the last backup).

I then did a restore out of that backup in MC 11. It's possible if i restore from that same MC 10 library, i will run into the problems you described. But i never needed to so did not run into this issue.

So after MC 11 was restored. I would go into MC 10 (closing MC 11 first of course) and do another backup. Since MC 10's default library has not been touched by MC 11, all shoudl be fine.

ananta108

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Never was there a time when I did not exist
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 04:05:07 am »

I did backup and then restore libraries as advised, as well as copy jmd files, here's the problem still, I have three seperate libraries, I can only restore one at a time, all three are not loaded as in MC10.

What to do

Thanks

Ananta
Pages: [1]   Go Up