INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: backup solutions on cdr-what do you use?  (Read 1369 times)

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
backup solutions on cdr-what do you use?
« on: October 03, 2002, 08:07:45 am »

Due to recent hd crashes, I have finally cognited on the need for backup.

I want to use cdr's as backup media, but I am not sure how I want to do it...

1) Use some kind of backup program
2) Burn the cdr's manually and in some way keep track of what I have backed up and still need to back up

What do you guys do? - and what would you recommend?

Jesper.

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: backup solutions on cdr-what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 08:26:35 am »

I recommend and use Backup MyPC from Stomp.  Actually, this is a Veritas product marketed and sold by Stomp.  This backup software has a long, long good history.  It's what used to power Norton Backup and is really just a scaled down version of Veritas's Backup Exec product line.  Veritas is what used to be called Seagate Software (years ago).

You can easily do full and partial (or incremental) backups to CD-R/W media...I use CD-RW media exclusively.

http://www.stompinc.com

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 12:27:04 pm »

yes I know Backup My Pc. Actually I tried to do a backup on one of my hd's the other day. It was a 20gb backup,
I did a "full backup" on that drive, and almost at the end of the backup Backup My Pc stopped the backup with an error prompt saying that the job was too big, and that I should start over again, and break up the job in two or more.

The consequence is that the files haven't been marked as backed up, and now I have to manually select folders to back up the remaining files or to do it over again in different jobs. Some hassle.

Their support haven't reacted yet (since 4 days now).

I like the functionality that it marks the files, so I can just do incremental jobs in the future, but if cant handle 20gb jobs, it's not that great imo.

Z, could/would you describe a little bit more how you about this? You say you use CD-RW discs, does that mean that you do an entire full backup every time you do a backup job?

Jesper.

ghappe

• Recent member
  • Collectors Items or Items to Collect?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 11:58:43 pm »

Hai there,

Reconised the need for backup's he?, good. What you could do is like this:

First: use rules, or any manual way, to make filegroups in directorys of, almost, 670 MB and name them like "cd_001" or so, and move the files to them.

Second: set the timedate filestamp, using attrib, to a specific releasedate.

Thirth: Burn this directory to a cd-r.

If you change anything the timestamp changes and those files can be found using extended search (where date ne releasedate.

This may require you to change the way you store files, temporary, but reorganising does not take to much time.

So, hope this helps

Greetings,

Guido

G.G.Happé

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 05:25:08 am »

thx Guido.

Are there anyone who backs up music files to cdr with other metods than "backup my pc" and the manual way described by guido?
Pages: [1]   Go Up