INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id3v1 tags & playlists during synching  (Read 1607 times)

Alex_B

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Id3v1 tags & playlists during synching
« on: August 29, 2005, 04:27:22 pm »

Hello Steve,

I came across this problem when synching a smartlist to the player. Several MP3 tracks which had  only id3v1 tag would not show up on the playlist on the player (just  \. and empty space). The problem was fixed when I added id3v2 tag.

Is this a bug or design feature?

My player doesn't recognize some id3v2 tags with my native characters that is why I prefer to use id3v1. I am using MC11.0.309 and Iriver H140.

Thank you!

Alex

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id3v1 tags & playlists during synching
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 09:48:33 am »

Alex,

Could you email me one of these tracks? Does the file play on the device, but just not appear in the playlist?

Thanks,

Steve

Alex_B

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 04:28:32 pm »

Steve,

sorry, I was too quick to make the conclusion it is Id3v1 issue. Indeed there are some tracks that have this issues, others work fine.  I think it is me messing with the tags.

To answer your questions: yes, the file plays on the player but  doesn't show on the playlist. I am sending an example of one the faulty track by email.

Thanks

Alex

Alex_B

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 03:57:32 pm »

Hello Steve,

thank you for fixing the issue with the playlist directory! I am really happy with my MC11 and the support that I have been recieving from you. Great job!

I have been looking into the other two issues I had with synching (some files with Id3v1 tag not showing on the playlist and some files being continusly sent to the player during every synchronization).  I just wanted to document my findings for the others to see:

1. special characters  like question mark "?" in MC database will be replaced by underscore "_" when transfering the files to the player. This is why MC will not recognize such files during next synching or won't create an entry in the playlist. Removing "?" and renaming the file on the computer solved the problem.

2. Id3v1 tags can store a limited amount of characters (about 30 I think), while MC database continue to store a full lenth information. That is the reason that once the file is transfered to the player MC cannot match shortened Id3v1 tag with the original name in the MC database. Again the file will transfered to the player every synch and it will not show on the playlist

3. Some non-English characters caused a similar behaviour.

So I cleaned up my database and decided not to use id3v1. that solved all the issues ;D.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 03:34:55 pm »

Thanks Alex.
Pages: [1]   Go Up