INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC not visible  (Read 1309 times)

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
MC not visible
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:56:01 am »

Nothing happens when I start MC!!

I can see the process running in task manager, but I get no MC window or such. If I right click a song in Windows Explorer and pick "play in media center" nothing happens, exept that the process starts.

Same thing if I righlt click a photo or video. So sound, no window, no picure. I've tried to re-install but same thing happens. The command swich "/Mode Fullscreen" and similar doen't work. It stoped working after I installed D-Link media server and GB-PVR. I've uninstalled those but I still have the same problem. Is it possible to start MC with a debug switch or something to find out whats wrong. I ony have one monitor (and allways have) so it shouldn't just be that, and since I don't get any sound something else must be wrong. All other media players work fine as usual so there is nothing wrong with my hardware.

Please help!

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
Re: MC not visible
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:22:39 am »

I've seen something similar. In my case, I'll attempt to start MC and while the process will start, no MC window ever shows up. If I kill the process and try again, MC appears as normal.

I'm not sure why it's doing it... it has only done so with build 312 (I haven't bothered to change to 314 yet, because none of the listed changes seemed remotely close to anything I do with MC). It's also not consistent... most of the time, MC starts up fine.

I don't have any media servers or PVR devices installed. I too only have one monitor. I'm not running any additional software that should have an affect (antivirus/antispyware/firewall/etc.), nor am I running anything that I haven't been running for the last 6 months (with no problems).

System info below... if it might help:

Media Center Registered 11.0.312 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1416 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 733 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2713 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050702-1513) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E: LITE-ON LTR-24102B        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-24102B         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

brainsoup

• World Citizen
  • Sexy! No No No...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 02:01:54 pm »

This has happened to me a couple of times too... just kill the MC process and restart the program!  ?

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 02:35:22 pm »

Killing the process and restarting MC doesn't help for me. I can't get MC to be visible no matter how.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 02:37:39 pm »

Are you using any third party plug-ins?

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 01:21:33 am »

No, not that I remember, but i've had MC installed a year on this machine... I don't think so, but when you mention it, it might be so that I enabled IRMAN recently without luck... :-(

Is there any way to check? There are definetely not any plugins installed that can be uninstalled with "Add remove software" from the control panel.

I used to run the computer as a media server only, but recently I've been starting to use it as a client as well. It runs on Windows XP Home Edition.

I used both uPnP and Library Server before. But I disabled uPnP and installed the D-link media server instead. Now (when it was working) I use it as a library server and media player (library client).

I've noticed something odd. When I start Media Centere with the /MediaServer switch, I see the Media Server Icon in the lower right corner on my screen, but I can't right click it to get the object menu. And it doen't work as a media server.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 06:59:20 am »

The IRMan plug-in may be the problem.  Try renaming it.  Reboot.

You can also try updating MC to the latest build.  Uninstall and remove the registry entries, reboot, then reinstall.

Robert S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 07:19:12 am »

IR-man plugin was the problem. I first renamed rc_irman.dll to _rc_irman.dll and then started MC. I got the error message "problem with IR man ..." and I was thrown out. Then I deleted IR-man plug-in entries in the registry and started MC again. AND NOW IT WORKS AGAIN! Thanks Jim! Problem solved. I guess IR-man is pretty unstable...
Pages: [1]   Go Up