INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to have Media Server auto-start on Windows startup.  (Read 1393 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Best way to have Media Server auto-start on Windows startup.
« on: September 04, 2005, 05:13:32 pm »

What's the best way to have Media Server auto-start on Windows startup?  With MC10, there was a check box in the Media Server "options" to have it do this, but I no longer see any "Media Server" options with MC11, and the "Library Server" options don't list this either.

Is putting "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MC11.exe /MediaServer" in the "Startup" folder the best way to do this now, or is there a better way?  I'd like Media Server to be running before I actually log on, but I assume that this will not happen with the "Startup folder" method, correct?  I read over the threads about starting Media Server as a "service," but I got fairly confused since I've had no experience with this.

What's the best straightforward, easy-to-setup method of doing this?

Also, when I'm running Media Server under MC11, closing and openning MC11 behaves as if I never closed it -- i.e. it always returns to the last place I was looking at.  Is there any way to get it to go to the default startup display when closing/openning it -- i.e. the way it behaves if Media Server is not running?  If I want to keep my place, I can minimize/maximize MC11.  If I actually close/open it instead, I'd like it to behave consistanty regardless of whether Media Server is running or not.  This would be less confusing to the other users here, who find it confusing when MC11 does not start up with the display they're expecting.

One last question:  If Media Server is running, why does "Library Server" still list as not running?  I thought that Library Server "replaced" Media Server, but it appears that they are two separate things at this point.

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Best way to have Media Server auto-start on Windows startup.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 06:44:49 am »

Thanks -- that's what I figured.

There is a slight bug with this scenario.  When Media Server is set to start at bootup as described above, it forces MC to start up NON-maximized the NEXT time MC is launched.  As long as MS stays running, MC will remember to start up in a maximized state, but if MS is closed/opened, or if the server system is rebooted, MC will once again "forget" to open maximized the next time it is started.  If MS is not started, this behavior does NOT happen -- MC remembers to open maximized, including when the system is booted.  It's only when Media Server is started that it makes MC "forget" to start up in a maximized window.

I ALWAYS use MC in it's maximized state, so it's annoying to always have to maximize it again the first time I launch MC after rebooting the system.  How can I get MC to ALWAYS open maximized, including when MS is started on bootup?

Thanks,

Larry

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 09:19:28 pm »

I ALWAYS use MC in it's maximized state, so it's annoying to always have to maximize it again the first time I launch MC after rebooting the system.  How can I get MC to ALWAYS open maximized, including when MS is started on bootup?
Open the Properties of the shortcut you use to launch MC, and change the Run property from "Normal window" to "Maximized".

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 02:32:55 am »

Open the Properties of the shortcut you use to launch MC, and change the Run property from "Normal window" to "Maximized".

This was suggested in another thread.  Unfortunately, it does not solve the issue.  Even if the setting is set to "maximized," MC still comes up in a non-maximized window when following the steps described above.  Matt from JRiver responded saying that this was changed in MC 11.1, but that the changes would not be rolled into 11.0.  I have not yet tried 11.1, so I can't confirm whether or not this issue was fixed in the new version.

Here is the thread if anyone is interested:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29547.0

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up