INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View - Is it obvious ?  (Read 5419 times)

chopdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
View - Is it obvious ?
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:57:28 pm »

My perfect view would be Album Artwork Thumbnails at the top of a split view, with any highlighted album's track list details showing below it, when browing my library.

I have spent hours, and I must be missing something. This seems like the obvious way to use it. Any suggestions ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: View - Is it obvious ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 06:04:15 pm »

Would this work?

The image is from the Action Window / File Properties/Image.  The content pane view can be toggled by CTRL-U to get the track list.  The view options are also available in the menu options under view.

chopdog

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 12:53:58 am »

Not really, because you have to select a file on the right from each album to see it.

I have imported over a thousand of my albums - painstakingly, and the way mentioned previously would work best. There must be a way ? I can't work out what purpose split view would have really. Are you sure you can't make view 2 tally with view 1 and give view 2 a different view type ie. details and view 1 would be top level all albums artwork thumbnail.

Thanks.

chopdog

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 01:08:31 am »

Jim, I've made a mock up file of what I think it would look like. How can I send the photo or insert it ?

chopdog

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 07:56:44 pm »

Jim - awaiting advise on where to send the mock up email. Thanks.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 07:58:00 pm »

post your image on a server and then include it in your post.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

chopdog

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 11:37:50 am »

Here we go

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 01:47:07 pm »

I made my version a couple of days ago, but forgot to post it.

Clicking an album thumbnail would show the details view of the album contents.

I prefer the album thumbnails view over the library browser because the views are configurable.

In this view the thumbnail size is 160x160 and I use this "Pick files to show" rule:
[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Image File]=[] -[CUE track]=[Y (source)] [Lonely]=[].
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 09:02:02 pm »

That looks neat Alex, but how we do we go about doing this ourselves?  ?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 09:27:44 pm »

I would like to see the tool tips that show up when browsing over the thumbnail to be playable.  This gives you you more viewing space and is dynamic based upon the number of songs in the thumbnail rather than a set space which may be too big or small for the number of songs in the thumbnail.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 03:33:58 am »

That looks neat Alex, but how we do we go about doing this ourselves?  ?

The trick is that there is no trick. In the screenshot I used the normal split view for demonstrating what I want.

In reality nothing happens when the album thumbnails are clicked. If I like to change the contents of the lower split I have to activate the split and find & select the album in the MC tree.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 03:46:40 am »

I would like to see the tool tips that show up when browsing over the thumbnail to be playable.  This gives you more viewing space and is dynamic based upon the number of songs in the thumbnail rather than a set space which may be too big or small for the number of songs in the thumbnail.

Do you mean that you would like to be able to select and play e.g. the track #13 in my screenshot from the tooltip? (... or actually from a pop-up window that looks like a tooltip. I guess interactive tooltips are not possible.)

LonWar

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 07:06:38 am »

You might want to check out Rhino's album view plug in..... It sounds like that's what your after.
-

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 08:34:04 am »

Using Alex's screen shot, the tree view how is that you have All (10) just under Jamiroquai ?

Os is it what you would like to have ? ie just mockup

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 09:29:18 am »

You might want to check out Rhino's album view plug in..... It sounds like that's what your after.

Hmm...

I have never installed it, but according to what I see in this screenshot and what I have read it doesn't exactly do what I want. Though, perhaps I should try it instead of guessing. BTW, does it work with MC11? It was released long before MC11.

I would like to have an instant full access to the album files when I click an album thumbnail. Clicking a thumbnail should show a normal list view with all MC functions available. That should happen without hiding the album thumbnails. Clicking another thumbnail should just change the visible files in the list view.

That could be achieved with the split views if the second split view could show a subset of the files included in the first split and if the second split could have separate preconfigured view settings.

It would then show only the files that are selected in the first split and use whatever view settings are configured for the second split.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 10:09:14 am »

Using Alex's screen shot, the tree view how is that you have All (10) just under Jamiroquai ?

Os is it what you would like to have ? ie just mockup

Just a plain screenshot. There are all six studio albums, a CD single, a compilation album, an album mixed by Jamiroquai and a couple of loose tracks in the artist folder.

Here are my albums from another UK artist I happen to like a lot. Though, he has been around a bit longer.  :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 10:30:23 am »

MC displays the covers nicely:

...but it could be like this:

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 10:33:42 am »

Yes, I too would like some functionality of being able to browse albums by thumbnails whereby you can see the individual tracks within an album once it's selected. 

Another idea on how to implement this is how Yahoo Music Unlimited does it for the My Music section.  Basically it's a simple pane view where the Album pane can be shown in "Icon View" or "Name View" by right-clicking the pane. 

In MC, a similar approach could be done to made the panes configurable to show in either the current list view or instead as thumbnails.  Rather than restrict it to a simple, predefined view, the choice of making a field's pane list view or icon view could theoretically be applied against any view scheme's panes.

Alternatively, as others have suggested, some sort of linking could be established between split views where selecting an album thumbnail on one view causes it to basically filter or select the tracks in the second view.

Something like this would definitely be used!

-J

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 12:36:15 pm »

the album view plugin does work with MC11, though some columns of the syncronised playing now view have periodic refresh problems.

You can right click on an album thumbnail and choose to play the entire album or individual tracks. It also allows album ratings and a 'favourite albums' list.

-marko.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 07:43:24 pm »

Do you mean that you would like to be able to select and play e.g. the track #13 in my screenshot from the tooltip? (... or actually from a pop-up window that looks like a tooltip. I guess interactive tooltips are not possible.)

Either way would work.  The box would pop up when single clicked on the thumbnail.  The box would connect at the corner edge of the mouse pointer, just barely touching it.  As soon as the mouse moves off of the box it disappears.  This way it is as seamelss as possible while still giving maximum screan space to the albums and does not change the standard MC pane/browsing view. It is just an addition.  This could take more CPU to do and maybe not be as instantaneos as your solution. If it can work fast then I would like to see a pop up box. :)
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

duckznutz

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 08:44:13 am »

Alex . . I understand what you are trying to do and, as a veteran MC user of a whole 2 days now, I have been trying to work this one out as well.

Here's my findings : -

In 'Media library - Audio' I have 3 panes to the right
Genre - Album Artist (auto) - Album
I have right clicked 'Customize Current View' and selected 'Album Thumbnails' as my List Style to display album thumbnails in the lower half of the screen.

1 Right click again and select 'Edit View Screen'
2 Click 'Add' to create a new 'view item'
3 Select 'Standard View Item' and choose 'Name' from the long droplist.
4 Click OK

You will now get a new pane which shows track names, and little ticks against the tracks for highlighted album thumbnails. Select a specific album in the album list to see just that albums tracks.

Its not exactly what you want . . but its halfway there.

JONCAT

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 02:44:16 pm »

This is the view scheme is use but you're right ...it is only halfway there....how many poeple even use that weird tagging mode with the checkboxes.....a TOGGLE is needed to allow the Name pane to simply show the files on the Album Thumbnail you select.

Hopefully, we see this or interactive tooltips in Version 12.

JC

scthom

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 04:28:20 pm »

This is the view scheme is use but you're right ...it is only halfway there....how many poeple even use that weird tagging mode with the checkboxes.....a TOGGLE is needed to allow the Name pane to simply show the files on the Album Thumbnail you select.

Er, I do.  At least occassionally.  Especially for photos.

JONCAT

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 09:30:12 am »

Alex,

I posted in the Integrate Media Broswer thread regarding implementing this "Album Thumbnail File List Pane" as I called it.

My idea was basically to have a pane below as you pictured but make it minimizable just like the "classic" panes above.

JC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 09:35:12 am »

We have a newer thread going on views, so I'm going to close this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up