INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With Restarting My Media Center  (Read 1632 times)

bkwal

Help With Restarting My Media Center
« on: September 23, 2005, 10:18:47 pm »

I first bought and downloaded Media Center a few years ago.  I like the mp3 editing software even though it's not my primary mp3 software.
This summer our hard drive burned out and took a bunch of programs with it, including Media Center.
Originally, I was happy to see there was an ability to "restore" Media Center, but it ultimately wouldn't let me install it that way, so I bit the bullet and paid for the whole thing again.
Now, today, when I go to use it, it tells me that my trial period has run out and is asking for my password.  When I enter that, it tells me that it doesn't recognize it -- even though I'm getting it directly from the email thanking me for buying it!
Anyone have any thoughts on how I can get back up and running again?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help With Restarting My Media Center
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 02:40:19 am »

liscence keys are good for 14 days. After that, you need to get a new one.

see here: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/purchase.html

and here: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/restore.html

for more info.

bkwal

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 06:48:00 am »

But how do I install it permanently?  I didn't used to have to get a new license key every 14 days to use this.
Help!!!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 06:59:32 am »

hmmm...

You shouldn't need to.

You say it's asking for a password? It shouldn't be doing that either. What I mean is, when the trial expires, it should offer you a 'buy' or 'restore' options.

If you choose restore, you should then get a further two options:
from file or from internet.
As you have a valid liscence file (less than 14 days old) the file option will do. You choose that, then browse to where you saved the liscence file, select it and click OK.

That should be it.
You say that it's not though, and yours keeps reverting to 'expired trial' mode.

The only thing I know of that causes that to happen to a registered copy of MC is changing the computer name. Some people need to do that to connect to different wireless networks.

Are you changing your computer name?

-marko.

bkwal

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 08:02:29 am »

Marko -
No -- I haven't changed my computer name.  I did get a new hard drive, but I actually paid for it again since then.
Really nice of you to help me by the way.
Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 09:20:37 am »

You're welcome, it's the weekend, so the jriver peeps won't be in the office. JimH might drop by, but Monday is what you should aim for.
I'm almost out of ideas here, just this caught my eye..

but I actually paid for it again since then.

Now, to clear up any confusion, the liscence file you purchased originally will only be good for the version you were running back then.
If you used the same personal details to make the second purchase, then when you restore, you will be given the option to create liscence files for any of the versions you are entitled to.

So, if you recently purchased v11, you need to be sure you're using the mjr file that corresponds to that version.
If that sounds like I'm "stating the bleedin' obvious" , I apologise, it's just that similar confusion has arisen in the past.

If none of that helps, then sooner rather than later, a staff member from jriver will drop by and help get you going again.

-marko.

bkwal

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 07:10:05 pm »

So, sorry to be dim, but what do you think I should do?  Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall?  And then use my current password, etc.?
Again, seriously -- thanks for your help.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 11:13:02 pm »

One thing that will help is better information. When Media Center times out, it doesn't ask for a password, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say that. I understand it's a hassle to type the gory details out, but it would help me a lot so I'm not guessing at what you mean.

Have you visited the restore page?
https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up