INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide for setting up a simple Ipod sync procedure  (Read 1193 times)

Scott Mayfield

• Recent member
Guide for setting up a simple Ipod sync procedure
« on: October 11, 2005, 12:17:11 am »

Hey,
is there a guide or manual out there for setting up a simple sync procedure for a single ipod ( I have read the guide for the two ipod setup which seems more involved than i need).
Thanks,
Scott

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Re: Guide for setting up a simple Ipod sync procedure
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:57:15 am »

Hi Scott,
Have you read through these posts?
How to use an iPod with MC 11 and Reference Section
They may be helpful for you.

I saw your other message asking about folder synching. I use a smartlist like this to sync a folder and all its sub-folders to my iPod:
[Filename (path)]=[e:\Podcast\IT Conversations",[E:\Podcast\The Seanachai" ~sort=[date created]-d [Media Type]=[Audio]

You still need to use the menu option File/Library/Import Media to import your files into MC before they will show up in the smartlist. I believe King Sparta has created a utility/plug-in to automatically do the import periodically, though I haven't tried it.

Scott Mayfield

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 04:29:20 pm »

So if you set up a playlist (say with all of the music that you want transfered to the ipod" will just the playlist be transfered if you select it for syncing, or all the files as well ( I guess what i am asking is does it just tranfer the M3u info, or does selecting a playlist automatically transfer all the music in that playlist as well. Or do i have to transfer playlist and song info separately?). If its the latter, if you set up one big playlist with everything you want transfered, then the smaller, context sensitive playlists (I>E> diiner party playlist with only twenty songs, will just transfer those files not already on and act as just a playlist for the files already present?
Thanks,
Scott

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 09:03:05 pm »

Good question, I'll have to review my text and see if it explains this one.

When MC transfers playlists it always transfers the songs/audio tracks. It does a 'smart' transfer so it will only transfer a song once even if it's on multiple playlists. It will also optionally delete songs from your iPod if they are not on any of your selected playlists.

Getting more technical, the iPod and MC don't use m3u playlists. A playlist is stored as an entry in the iPod database and the MC database, there is no corresponding file.

Here's a rough look at the steps MC does in an iPod sync:
-- Optionally update the MC database with track playcount and rating data from the iPod
-- For each audio track to be transferred:
    -- Create a copy of the original audio track on your hard drive
    -- Optionally resample the original audio track to a new format
    -- Rename the copy to fit the iPod naming requirements
    -- Copy the new audio file to the iPod
-- Update the iPod database with the new file information
-- Update the iPod database with playlist information
-- Update the iPod database with playcount and rating information
-- Optionally delete files from the iPod that are no longer listed in your selected playlists
Pages: [1]   Go Up